PDA

View Full Version : Martz rear suspension

Serpa69
03-29-2005, 07:32 AM
Does anyone have or know how well the Martz Chassis Rear suspension systems work with a 69 Camaro. I want to do something different with the rear. I do not and can not afford an independent set up. The Unique Performance set up looks pretty trick also, but it is 5000 big ones.

David Pozzi
03-29-2005, 09:36 AM
From the photos of it, I don't like it, the trailing links converge and look pretty short.
Do a search of the archives both here and on the old forum.

rickk
03-30-2005, 07:00 PM
i have the martz 4 link in my 73 camaro . love it .

rick kirkindall
call 214 908 2100

wally8
03-30-2005, 08:23 PM
You must really like that suspension Rickk since you posted that comment in 3 different threads.

Have you ever had that car on a track? I don't want to bash your car, it looks very nice, but if this is the suspension you're talking about: http://www.martzchassis.net/camaro7073rearinstall I can't imagine that would work well for anything but drag racing.

Keep in mind, I'm not hacking your car but discussing this particular suspension in an objective manner.

Like David said, the links are a very poor configuration for turning corners. The panhard bar is too short as well. It's more like a dirt track setup that would cause a serious jacking effect.

I wouldn't put it on my car.

Wally

rickk
03-31-2005, 04:32 PM
wally , the 4 bars 18 or 19 in long . you no every thanks they havea better way to do it . i am building another camaro 71 rs .if you have a person who can do it give me a call 214 908 2100 .

thanks rick kirkindall

Mean 69
03-31-2005, 04:52 PM
I could do it.

The Martz kit is a super nice deal for folks who want a semi-bolt on affair, the whole design is based around packaging. I am pretty sure that under the right circumstances, it can work really well. However, there are some serious compromises to the kinematic design, again, due to packaging issues that seemed to be the primary concern, that would scare the poop out of me on a road course. The most serious of which, due to a very, very short side view swing arm (which has nothing at all to do with the length of the actual links) would be violent brake hop under aggressive braking: exactly when you don't want something like this to happen.

For a street rod? Should be okay. Drag race? Dunno, I'd have to look at it a bit more. Autocross? Probably marginal, at best. Road course? No way in Hell. Ever. Period. Then again, the majority of the folks that would buy this kit wouldn't put their car on the road race track and push to the limits anyway, and there is NOTHING wrong with that at all. You picks your suspension for your application.

Mark

TEDDYS CAMARO
03-31-2005, 07:01 PM
WHAT IS THE BEST SUSPENSION SETUP FOR A 2nd GEN. PRO-TOURING CAMARO?

Serpa69
04-07-2005, 11:16 AM
Is this kit any better than a leaf spring set up?