PDA

View Full Version : Revisit quarter panel seams...

442_Mustang
07-27-2009, 04:03 PM
Ok, We dug them out... cut and pulled the over lapped part out and tig welded the seams. My sail panels had some rust pits from a crappy vinyl top that gave the thing a strange texture in the sun as well. We cleaned and blasted the whole mess. My buddy formed some new panels on his english wheel. We tried that new filler from Adtech. While we were waiting, we spread a bit of that filler on a hunk of sheetmetal. after it was cured, the durability test...He hit the metal with his TIG 1/4 inch away from the filler. It did not affect it at all. No peeling at all. Had to grind it to make any damage. Sandblasting barely touched it. This filler seems to be the trick. It don't move... Yeah I know, but both sides are the same I just wasn't thinking enough to take pix of the same side. Here is the website for it. I'm not advertising. Just giving info about a product that seems to be the cats meow... But, it is pretty hard to sand. I'm going to get it close and then follow it up with a can of Z-grip...
I'll keep you updated...

http://www.adtechplastics.com/pc-15-34-p-17-high-heat-resistant-filler.aspx

Roadbuster
07-28-2009, 08:05 PM
:jawdrop:

This is after you painted it?! That is attention to detail and wanting it right!

Jon

442_Mustang
07-29-2009, 03:02 AM
Yes, I painted it and sanded and buffed it. In my garage it looked like a mirror but in the sun there was a faint line where you could see the weld line. I knew I wouldn't be happy with it and I already have the car torn down with no glass or interior. May as well make it right. It was pretty tough to hit it with a grinder again.