PDA

View Full Version : First Gen Motor Mount Bolts

Chevy
03-28-2005, 07:50 PM
Hey, not sure if this is the correct forum, but it is part of the suspension...

I'm putting together a 1968 Camaro, it has a 1975 350 block and the motor mount bolts must be the ones from the 1975 because they run out of thread before reaching the specified torque on the driver's side and on the passenger side they hit the fuel pump before being completely tight. That is, they are both too long and have too long a shank before the thread starts.

Does anyone have the specification on this bolt (size, pitch, length, whether or not the end is pointed, whether or not the entire length is threaded)? Does anyone know of a source for a "correct" bolt? Classic Industries and Year One don't seem to have one, though i did find a few places that list a "functionally correct" bolt but give no other details--presumably these are not correct in terms of appearance.

I don't care about the appearance so much but want to make sure i can get something that works and don't want to shell out the bucks for the incorect bolts. I would think the restoration guys would have created a market for these that someone filled by now?

Thanks!

David Pozzi
03-28-2005, 10:44 PM
I'd really try for a stock bolt because the end is pointed and the head has a washer built into it.
GM# all bolts are 7/16 X 14 threads/inch
3840748 4" 1969 early
3977984 4 7/8" 1969 late
3980716 3 7/8" 8 cyl engine 1969/8
3977980 4 5/8" BB engine

Make sure you have interlocking type mounts or you will have trouble. And make sure you have the correct frame brackets. I have info on my web page below.

I suggest you measure your motor mount and get a bolt long enough to stick thru the mount and nut and show 1/2" of threads.
Can't find a number for the nut.

Chevy
03-29-2005, 07:07 PM
Sounds like exactly what i need!