PDA

View Full Version : 2009 OPTIMA Batteries Ultimate Street Car Invitational presented by Ridetech

Pages : [1] 2 3

justimagine
07-22-2009, 01:30 PM
The 2nd annual OPTIMA Batteries Ultimate Streetcar Invitational
presented by Ridetech
When: Saturday November 7, 2009
Where: Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch, Pahrump, NV.
Gates will open at 7:00 am

OPTIMA Batteries and FM3 Performance Marketing announce The 2nd annual OPTIMA Batteries Ultimate Street Car Invitational presented by Ridetech. The event is designed to give builders and owners of some the world’s most awesome street driven cars the opportunity to show their stuff on a closed circuit professional road-racing course. The event is held following the conclusion of the SEMA show and is intended to reflect the craftsmanship and performance of SEMA-quality vehicles and to promote those manufacturers and vendors that are closely associated with the automotive performance industry supported by SEMA and it’s members. The OPTIMA Batteries Ultimate Street Car Invitational presented by Ridetech is an exclusive invitation-only event designed to highlight the best-of-the-best street cars in the country.

The event will be a combination of styling, driving, handling and acceleration/braking. The goal of the event is to bring up to 40 of the best street cars in the world to the track and put them through their paces highlighting overall design, build quality and performance. Each event, styling, autocross, 0-60-0 and road course hot laps will be timed individually (styling will be judged) with the overall cumulative times being the final result. The lowest cumulative time for each vehicle, combined with styling points will determine the finishing order. Awards will be presented to the top three finishers in each event and “The OPTIMA Batteries Ultimate Street Car” award will be given to the vehicle posting the lowest cumulative time over the combined events. The styling portion of the event will be determined by a 4-judge panel of automotive industry styling and design professionals with points being awarded on a 1-10 scale (1 being the best and 10 being the worst). Style points will be added to the cumulative time for the final result.

Sponsors, manufacturers and media testing/R&D vehicles will also be included in the event and will participate alongside invited participants. Vehicles not meeting the rules requirements will be run in a separate exhibition class and will not qualify for The Ultimate Street Car.

Rules for the event are simple with safety being paramount. All cars will be required to run on DOT approved tires (no drag radials) and must have at a minimum a functional seatbelt. All drivers will be required to wear a helmet during the road course portion of the event and will be encouraged to wear a helmet during all events. This is a street car event with an emphasis on street driven vehicles that bear a significant resemblance to common production vehicles. Hot rods, muscle cars, sport compacts, import cars and trucks/SUV’s are welcome but no purpose built race cars will be allowed and no kit cars. The “Spirit” of the event is to promote vehicles that are somewhat obtainable and built with aftermarket performance upgrades. Any vehicle not complying with the “Spirit” of the event will not be allowed. Compliance with the “Spirit” of the event will be at the sole discretion of the race director and OPTIMA Batteries. All vehicles will be required to pass a technical inspection to assure safety during the event. Builders and/or owners must drive their own vehicle, and all vehicles must participate in all segments of the event to qualify for “The Ultimate Street Car” award. There is no charge for the invited participants and breakfast and lunch will be included with the invitation.

Source Interlink and other print and television media will provide coverage of the event and consider a feature article on The OPTIMA Batteries Ultimate Street Car. OPTIMA Batteries, Ridetech, BFGoodrich, Baer Brakes and Source Interlink, along with various numerous sponsors and forums will be promoting the event via their websites during the time leading up to the event. TV programming is currently being negotiated, and various Internet TV outlets have agreed to provide coverage as well.

Corporate sponsorship for the event is still available. Please contact Jimi Day at 414-702-4939 or [email protected] or visit the event website at www.optimainvitational.com.

Current event sponsors include: OPTIMA Batteries, Ridetech, BFGoodrich, Baer Brakes, HOT ROD Magazine, FM3 Performance Marketing, Pfaff Designs, Shelby Automotive, Lateral-g.net, Pro-touring.com, Silver State Classic Challenge and Good Guys Rod & Custom Association

justimagine
07-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Rules and Regulations for the OPTIMA Batteries Ultimate Streetcar Invitational presented by Ridetech:
1) The OPTIMA Batteries Ultimate Street Car Invitational presented by Ridetech is an invite only event. 10 invitations will be reserved for vehicles displayed during the 2009 SEMA event.
2) Paid sponsors/manufacturers may enter one vehicle of their choice into the event that meets 2009 OUSCI requirements and compete for The Ultimate Street Car
3) All OPTIMA Batteries Ultimate Street Car Invitational presented by Ridetech participants must compete in all segments of the event to qualify for The Ultimate Street Car Award:
a) Styling
b) Autocross
c) Acceleration/braking
d) Lap times (2.2 mile road course)
4) The registered owner or builder of record must drive the vehicle for all events. The owner and/or builder may separate driving duties – no professional drivers will be allowed to compete for The Ultimate Street Car.
5) All drivers will be required to sign a liability waiver. Passengers must be at least 18 years of age and will be required to sign the same liability waiver as driver.
6) A mandatory driver/passenger meeting will be held at Spring Mountain Motorsports Park prior to the first competition.
7) Only official wrist banded drivers and passengers may ride in the cars on the track. The drivers may change during the competition provided they have attended the drivers meeting and have the proper wristband.
8) All vehicles must represent a street capable vehicle with a strong resemblance to a current or former production model. No purpose built race cars or kit cars will be allowed. The only open-wheeled vehicles allowed are '34-and-older domestic vehicles and replicas thereof. Other vehicles such as production “concept” cars may be allowed. This event is designed to be a fun and spirited competition to showcase vehicles conceived and built using parts and manufacturers supported by SEMA.
9) All competitors must have current registration, proof of insurance, and a current driver's license. The following are required: current registration, working headlights, taillights, brake lights, turn signals, and a safety-glass windshield. Side windows must roll up and down in the manner designed by the factory. Full hoods are required on all entries.
10) Each entrant will be issued a number which must be clearly visible on the windshield, side windows or rear window. White shoe polish is acceptable.
11) Participants must use DOT approved tires. Tires will be required to pass a technical inspection at the track. The spirit of the event requires the use of a DOT approved “street” tire – no modifications to tires will be acceptable, including shaving. Any vehicle with tires showing any evidence of modification will be immediately disqualified from the event. No racing tires of any sort, including drag radials, will be allowed.
12) Competitors must use a single set of tires for the entire event, no tire changing between events will be allowed. Tires will be marked during tech. Tire changes will be allowed in the event of a catastrophic failure, but replacements must be of the same manufacturer and model as those approved during tech inspection.
13) Helmet use is required during the lap times segment of the event and is encouraged but not required for any other segment. The autocross course design will attempt to keep speeds below 35 M.P.H.
14) Participating cars must pass a basic safety inspection that will include but may not be limited to the following:
a. Functional seatbelts.
b. Proper brake pedal pressure and travel.
c. Sufficient throttle return spring and secured battery.
d. All lug nuts in place and tight.
e. Hubcaps/clip-on center caps are to be removed.
f. All loose items must be removed from vehicle.
(Floor mats, things hanging from rearview mirror, cassettes, CDs, and glove box, console, trunk items.)
15) Each segment of the event will be timed to 0.00.00 (except the styling event). Times will be cumulative for the four events and the entrant with the lowest cumulative time after all four segments will be awarded the OPTIMA Batteries Ultimate Street Car. Only entrants completing all four segments of the competition will be eligible to win the grand prize. For the three timed events, participants will have the option to throw out the worst time in each segment. Styling segment points will not be adjusted or thrown out.
16) The styling segment of the event will be determined by a 4-judge panel based on overall quality, design and craftsmanship of the vehicle. Styling points will be awarded on a 1-10 scale with 1 being the best and 10 being the worst. The style points will be added to the cumulative time for the overall scoring.
17) Race director and event management staff will have COMPLETE discretion to deny or remove from competition anyone in the event for any reason.
18) The OPTIMA Batteries Ultimate Streetcar Invitational presented by Ridetech will be run rain or shine.

Steve1968LS2
07-22-2009, 02:47 PM
We're in to defend our title :)

We may not win again, but we're going down swinging! lol

To be honest we will just be happy if we turn in a faster lap than last year since that shows that the car has progressed.

So to be clear a tire like the BFG R1 or Hoosier R6/A6 would be legal since they are DOT approved?

Ahhh.. the memories...

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/07/2najqsm-1.jpg

mpozzi
07-22-2009, 03:15 PM
Hey Steve,

If everyone that competed last year doesn't turn in a faster lap than last year, I'll be quite surprised. Tires alone will guarantee you that ...

I'm still on the fence whether to bring my butter knife to the laser-guided missle fight.

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

Steve1968LS2
07-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Hey Steve,

If everyone that competed last year doesn't turn in a faster lap than last year, I'll be quite surprised. Tires alone will guarantee you that ...

I'm still on the fence whether to bring my butter knife to the laser-guided missle fight.

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

Dammit.. that's true.. I really wanted to run the same tires just to see.. oh well.

Stick with me and we'll have your car ready for battle. A little EFI.. a little brake work.. some wheels.. tires.. lol

Just send it down here for couple months :yum:

justimagine
07-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Since it's an invitational event, the only returning car (with the exception of sponsors) will be Steve and Bad Penny. We'll have a whole new army this year gunning for his spot!

Damn True
07-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Rule #4

Steve1968LS2
07-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Since it's an invitational event, the only returning car (with the exception of sponsors) will be Steve and Bad Penny. We'll have a whole new army this year gunning for his spot!

Mary won two of the Goodguys autocross events so I think she has an invite :)

Larry Callahan
07-22-2009, 03:41 PM
Like last year Pro-Touring.com will be representing with 2 cars. One will be MotiV8r and I have not figured out the second car.

I can't wait!

Steve1968LS2
07-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Like last year Pro-Touring.com will be representing with 2 cars. One will be MotiV8r and I have not figured out the second car.

I can't wait!

Can't wait to see her on the track.. BTW, we are setting up to shoot your car in late August... bringing in a hired gun :)

Damn True
07-22-2009, 03:49 PM
Point?

Just curious if you'd seen the change in format.

justimagine
07-22-2009, 03:52 PM
I made sure the reigning title holder was the first to receive the news about the format changes!! He didn't seem scared...

justimagine
07-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Here's a link to short video from last year's event...

http://http://www.hotrod.com/multimedia/hot_rod_videos/6205344/the-optima-batteries-ultimate-street-car-invitational-video/index.html (http://http//www.hotrod.com/multimedia/hot_rod_videos/6205344/the-optima-batteries-ultimate-street-car-invitational-video/index.html)

Steve1968LS2
07-22-2009, 04:17 PM
Just curious if you'd seen the change in format.

I made sure the reigning title holder was the first to receive the news about the format changes!! He didn't seem scared...

Yep.. :)

And myself and one of my builders will be driving.. I've had enough seat time where I can get my hands dirtier this year.

Bill Howell
07-22-2009, 05:48 PM
OK, I have read the rules twice. Someone please point out the tire rules, I am not seeing them.

Steve1968LS2
07-22-2009, 05:50 PM
OK, I have read the rules twice. Someone please point out the tire rules, I am not seeing them.

11) Participants must use DOT approved tires. Tires will be required to pass a technical inspection at the track. The spirit of the event requires the use of a DOT approved “street” tire – no modifications to tires will be acceptable, including shaving. Any vehicle with tires showing any evidence of modification will be immediately disqualified from the event. No racing tires of any sort, including drag radials, will be allowed.

So and DOT legal tire except drag radials.. that would allow tires such as the BFG R1 or the Hoosier R6. You could also run the A6 but I'm not sure it would be best for the road course.

justimagine
07-22-2009, 06:39 PM
Don't forget rule #12 also!

Steve1968LS2
07-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Don't forget rule #12 also!

And there's where strategy plays out.. run the road course tire or the autocross tire..

Where are you going to give it up a bit? :idea:

Bill Howell
07-22-2009, 06:47 PM
You never know, rule 18 could play in and street tires could be the best choice.....lol
No, wait, this is Vegas in November.....nevermind...

Finch
07-22-2009, 07:08 PM
I think I will wait a few weeks to order my "DOT approved Street Tires" just to make sure.

Steve, What do you recommend would be the best tire for both?

Steve1968LS2
07-22-2009, 07:55 PM
You never know, rule 18 could play in and street tires could be the best choice.....lol
No, wait, this is Vegas in November.....nevermind...

That's why I have two sets of rims.. one for R1/R6 tires and for R888s

:smoke:

Steve1968LS2
07-22-2009, 07:57 PM
I think I will wait a few weeks to order my "DOT approved Street Tires" just to make sure.

Steve, What do you recommend would be the best tire for both?

I think I would for with a BFG R1 or Hoosier R6... I don't think the A6 would do as well in the high temps of the road corse. If you ran that first then you could end up "using up" the tire before the autocross event.

I will pick some tire expert brains and report back :)

Vegas69
07-22-2009, 08:32 PM
I'm in and driving to the track if I can get an invite or sponsor.:)
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/06/012-1.jpg

chicane67
07-23-2009, 07:56 AM
Have tools... will travel... just make sure that Penny is running on all 8 cylinders this year to make it fair... :idea:

We're in to defend our title :)

We may not win again, but we're going down swinging! lol

To be honest we will just be happy if we turn in a faster lap than last year since that shows that the car has progressed.

So to be clear a tire like the BFG R1 or Hoosier R6/A6 would be legal since they are DOT approved?

Ahhh.. the memories...

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/07/2najqsm-1.jpg

Steve1968LS2
07-23-2009, 08:46 AM
Have tools... will travel... just make sure that Penny is running on all 8 cylinders this year to make it fair... :idea:

I might need nine cylinders to keep up with Jackass.. lol

Thank God Spring Mountain isn't a "heavy braking" track like Gingerman...

And consider yourself on the pit crew :)

Fesler built
07-23-2009, 01:59 PM
We hope to be there

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/06/Img0007-1.jpg

Krazed
07-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Oh to live in California... I really wish I could go to things like this. But, we have none in alaska. Anyone need an experienced Network Engineer/Admin? I need to get out of this state so I can enjoy some real fun!

(PS. Arizona works too)

PhillipM
07-23-2009, 02:45 PM
We would love to bring our Camaro up for this event if there are any available positions. We haven't had it out on the track since installing the LS7 and some better seats.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/07/DSC00756Large-1.jpg

RSX302
07-23-2009, 09:57 PM

I can't wait!

Larry, If your intrested in going with me, I'm going to the Sept 16th Open track racing (http://www.opentrackracing.com/)event on the big track at willow. Fun day and we can ring out yor car, Suspension check, tire check, temps etc.. (and get comfy at 100+mph)

sasKL0AZM6k

wicked68
07-24-2009, 03:13 PM
a8pFz5JWAGc
oh oh oh pick me please :D

Damn True
07-24-2009, 03:15 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a8pFz5JWAGc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param (http://www.youtube.com/v/a8pFz5JWAGc&hl=en&fs=1&%22%3E%3C/param%3E%3Cparam) name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a8pFz5JWAGc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

oh oh oh pick me please :D

Replace { } with [ ]

{yt} the stuff after the = sign {/yt}

wicked68
07-25-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm in and driving to the track if I can get an invite or sponsor.:)
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/06/012-1.jpg

love the ride todd - that is what I want when I get a camaro - in the mean time would love to go up against you in good fun :D

Vegas69
07-25-2009, 05:25 PM
Love the mustang as well....it would be a blast.

rogue
07-25-2009, 08:47 PM
I'd be in like flynn, if given an invite... :)

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/06/CP2_6613JPG-1.jpg

79-TA
07-25-2009, 11:00 PM
Hey Steve,

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

Do it. Keep all of the high dollar fashion builds honest. Also, you can showcase just how important the "driver mod" can be. :)

I'd be in like flynn, if given an invite... :)

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/06/CP2_6613JPG-1.jpg

Please, oh please pick the epic looking gold Camaro!

rogue
07-26-2009, 09:11 AM

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

I think Butter knifes can be quite formidable in a guided missile fight if wielded the right way, only one way to find out. I have faith in leaf springs!

wicked68
07-26-2009, 09:43 AM
here is one at road atlanta :D

monza
07-27-2009, 02:39 PM

WHAT come on Steve made that rule!! lol Great event, either way car or no car I'll be there, 'hopefully' with FUeL..... ( I promise not to be a cranky biatch who just wrenched for three days and nights on my sorted car)

Vegas69 you've got my vote!

(thanks Jimi for the email!:enguard:)

mpozzi
07-29-2009, 08:03 PM
Hi Jimi,

Just want to get clarification about tires as the rule #11 states that participants must use DOT approved "street" tires and no racing tires will be allowed. These three tires listed below (BF Goodrich, Hoosier, and Kumho) are DOT approved whereas a Goodyear "slick" is not and there's a lot of chatter going on about their use being allowed. While not recommended for street use, they are technically legal for such; lots of autocrossers do drive on them to and from events. I'd hate to see someone buy a set, bring them to OPTIMA, and then be told no-go. Worse yet, hate to see competitors think that these R-comps aren't allowed, don't consider them eligible for OPTIMA, and then competing against those that have them. If that happens, it will come down to a tire battle instead of one where the best car wins.

If DOT-legal R-comps are permitted by definition per-se, we need to know so we can plan accordingly.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/07/bfg_gforce_r1_ci2_1-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/07/ho_a6_ci2_l-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/07/ku_ecsta_v710_ci2_l-1.jpg

If the above listed tires (and others of similar configuration) are NOT permitted for OPTIMA, is the Toyo R888 (see below) an approved tire? This is what Steve Rupp had on his car last year.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/07/PXR888_Left-1.jpg

Thanks,
Mary Pozzi

wicked68
07-30-2009, 03:25 AM
maybe a tire sponsor ? have everyone run the same tires?

Bill Howell
07-30-2009, 04:48 AM
I was wondering the same thing Mary. I would hate to buy tires that will not work.

Steve1968LS2
07-30-2009, 06:41 AM
Again, I talked with Jimi Day and ANY DOT cert tire is legal with the exception of drag radials.

So, tires like the Hoosier R6 and BFG R1 are legal to run.

All out race tires like the Goodyear stuff (which isn't DOT legal) are out.

Also, you HAVE to run the same tires from start to finish unless you damage a tire then a like tire can replace it.

I would imagine that the choice would be between a R1 and an R6. Keep in mind though that BFG always supports our hobby and is supporting this event. :)

justimagine
07-30-2009, 08:04 AM
I couldn't have said it better Steve, thanks. Any DOT certified tire is legal with the exception of drag radials. No slicks, no shaved rubber! If anyone has any questions about a specific tire, please send me an email or PM before you buy them so I can give you the OK. As Steve said, BFG has stepped up as our official tire and sponsor of the BFG Hot Laps Challenge - please support those vendors that help us bring an event like this into being!!

justimagine
07-30-2009, 08:05 AM
I didn't have any idea that tires would be such a big issue in an amateur competition event! That being said, I'm impressed with the level of competition and the dedication and willingness of these car owners to bring these bad beasts out to the track and beat them like a rented mule! That's the whole purpose of our event and I want to thank everybody for their enthusiasm and input. For those folks that think pro-touring SEMA quality cars are garage art, I've only got one thing to say -

OPTIMA Batteries Ultimate Street Car Invitational -
presented by Ridetech, of course!

Damn True
07-30-2009, 08:11 AM
If Mary is evaluating the intricacies of the rule set she must be seriously considering throwing her hat in the ring.

Good.

Steve1968LS2
07-30-2009, 08:50 AM
If Mary is evaluating the intricacies of the rule set she must be seriously considering throwing her hat in the ring.

Good.

She'll be there even if I have to drag her ass (and her car) to Nevada myself....

Finch
07-30-2009, 11:48 AM
The big question for the low buck operations is do you buy a set of R1's for just this event to remain competitive or stick with something like the R888 that you can run at other events like Motorstate and Bowler.

The biggest challenge is having to convince the wife why 2 different sets of custom wheels and tires is not enough and now need a 3rd.

buickfunnycar.com
07-30-2009, 12:01 PM
Told me it'll be like bringing a butter knife to a gunfight...but it's a sharp-ass butter knife.:1st:

79-TA
07-30-2009, 11:10 PM
I hope they invite the One Lap Camaro again. Now that it's considerably more sorted out, it should fair much better. And the extra seat time Mr. Shipka has gotten since couldn't have hurt either.

CptKlutz
08-03-2009, 12:35 AM
Posted this in the parallel thread on Lat G but here we go again :look:
How do you get those race tires up to working temp before an autocross event or 0-60-0? They don't work particularly well cold AFAIK? Tire warmers next? Keep it street I say and stop at R888, R1R etc. Those are actually fine on the street and semi cold. Just another 2c.
Theoretical though, so far I'm not in, car is "not in the spirit of the competition" whatever that means. Probably not enough big ass sponsors or builder is too unknown?

nvmyss
08-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Same request as Todd.
I'd love to come out and watch (have to bring my father along since he's flying out for SEMA)
If you need any help with Tech I'd be happy too as I work part time at LVMS and have my NHRA/SFI certfification.

justimagine
08-21-2009, 11:29 AM
The OPTIMA Batteries Ultimate Street Car Invitational presented by Ridetech has grown beyond our wildest imagination. The car count is still the same, but the media and PR for the event is growing daily. We want to get as many enthusiasts and like-minded individuals involved as we can, and I know many of you on this forum have expressed your wishes to be at the event. I'm looking for 10-15 individuals that would like to be part of the OUSCI race control team. We have opportunities for the tech, timing & scoring, and operations team. We can't pay your way to SEMA but if you're in the area and want to hang out an extra day, you can be part of the Ultimate Street Car team. We'll make sure you have a ride from Vegas to Pahrump and back, and each team member will receive a special OUSCI team t-shirt, breakfast and lunch at the track, and special recognition at the awards ceremony.

The event is Saturday November 7th, gates open at 7am and close at 5pm. We will try to have an organizational meeting one day during the SEMA event to make sure we have everything in place, and we'll buy dinner or lunch there too. If you're interested in joining the team, please email me at [email protected] and let me know what team you'd like to join. Thanks everybody for your consideration, we're looking forward to a kick-a$$ event!!

79-TA
08-21-2009, 11:19 PM
I'd definitely be interested in helping run the track. Being near SEMA would just be an added bonus.

wiedemab
09-28-2009, 10:11 AM
I'd like to ask a favor of someone if they are willing............. I'm getting ready to change my return flight to leave Las Vegas at around Midnight Saturday. Is anyone else going to the Optima Challenge that I could potentially hitch a ride with and maybe get dropped off at the airport afterward?

If not, I could rent a car, but I hate to rent one for like 12 hours?

Thanks,

Brandon

Steve1968LS2
09-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Penny just arrived at Pozzi Racing for a little TLC..

Gonna be a busy month!

rat_rod_russell
09-29-2009, 05:55 PM
WE'RE IN!!!!

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/04/web_logo_wide-1.jpg

Expect us there!!!

Who ever gets beat by a truck is in for some harassment I think. :smoke:

Did everyone see the list online
Go here
http://www.optimainvitational.com
And click Competitors on the left.

-Russell

Steve1968LS2
09-29-2009, 06:41 PM
That is one bad ass looking truck..

But you're still going down!

lol.. j/k ;)

(not about the truck.. it is way cool)

MCMLXIX
09-29-2009, 08:29 PM
OK. I missed last years event because I had to work... So I'm not going to miss it this year... I was going to ride the Harley up, but I also have a 4 door Tacoma.... so if anyone wants a ride and NEEDS a truck to haul stuff from Vegas... send me a PM... I will have 3 seats, maybe 4 and room to haul stuff... (I have a hitch too)

wicked68
10-03-2009, 10:42 AM
only 2 old mustangs in the event.......pretty under represented

Finch
10-04-2009, 05:27 AM
As Steve said, BFG has stepped up as our official tire and sponsor of the BFG Hot Laps Challenge - please support those vendors that help us bring an event like this into being!!

My 285/30 and 335/30 R1's showed up Friday. I for one want to make sure BFG keeps supporting these events.

Steve1968LS2
10-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Here's the official entry list so far:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/10/24err76-1.jpg

Finch
10-13-2009, 03:32 PM
I think I may need some Nitrous

Larry Callahan
10-13-2009, 03:37 PM
And I need to learn how to drive and quick!

Finch
10-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Any chance someone is holding a track day the week of SEMA that we could buy into.....

Steve1968LS2
10-13-2009, 03:47 PM
I think I may need some Nitrous

Heck, I won one 388 RWHP last year.. this track is not about power at all.. or brakes..

:1st:

Steve1968LS2
10-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Any chance someone is holding a track day the week of SEMA that we could buy into.....

Funny you should mention that.. I will be driving the track on Monday before the event.. but it's full up.

Also, on November 30th I have the parking lot at Fontana rented for a little test and tune. It's $200, but we will just be setting up a couple of cones to test transition elements. Not a course or anything.

Of couse David has the car all cut up and apart right now so first we have to get her back together.

And I need to learn how to drive and quick!

My best advice, short of getting on the track, would be to watch the video of Dave doing the course over and over and over again.. I would think it would help learn the course better than looking at a map.

VonHauer
10-13-2009, 05:49 PM
I was very fortunate to be a part of the event last year! Can't say enough about Jimi Day and the whole Optima crew and how well the 1st annual event went off. Except for the 0-60-0 timing equipment being somewhere in a plane over the ocean it was a perfect event. We (Ridetech) are very, yes very excited to be invited back to such and amazing event. Having Mary there in her Camaro (butter knife and all) will be a real treat (don't tell Dave, but I'm a huge fan of his babe!). For all the new participants, expect to have the best day of your year! This is a great event and I truly hope it becomes as famous as Jimi Days pretty face?! I didn't see any rules about fuel? Will they be allowing Bill Howell to run Tennessee tap water in his fuel system? Again, I can hardly wait to see everyone out there!
Ridetech Ty
(Angus McRide)

Bill Howell
10-13-2009, 06:19 PM
We ARE driving out this time, you never know about that fuel, you neva know.....haha

Steve1968LS2
10-13-2009, 06:26 PM
We ARE driving out this time, you never know about that fuel, you neva know.....haha

Hey, could you bring me out some of that "fuel" for my wife? It would be greatly appreciated.. :)

Finch
10-13-2009, 06:38 PM
I saw on the news that a "Fuel" depot on the NC side was put out of business. Hope that wasn't the depot of choice.

Steve1968LS2
10-13-2009, 08:06 PM
I saw on the news that a "Fuel" depot on the NC side was put out of business. Hope that wasn't the depot of choice.

God.. if we lost the "apple fuel" the world would be a sadder place..

Say it isn't so...

slck6t9
10-13-2009, 10:02 PM
Larry so when did Motiv8tr become a 69 ha ha?

79-TA
10-14-2009, 12:55 AM
Aww, no big red camaro this year?

Also, on November 30th I have the parking lot at Fontana rented for a little test and tune. It's $200, but we will just be setting up a couple of cones to test transition elements. Not a course or anything.

Sounds like a party. Now if only I didn't have class, I'd be asking to tag along just to watch. But why November 30? Is there another event you're preparing for after Optima?

Steve1968LS2
10-14-2009, 06:35 AM
Aww, no big red camaro this year?

Sounds like a party. Now if only I didn't have class, I'd be asking to tag along just to watch. But why November 30? Is there another event you're preparing for after Optima?

No, just the one event.. we are just doing some testing and tweaking on the 30th in CA...

Larry Callahan
10-14-2009, 06:39 AM
Larry so when did Motiv8tr become a 69 ha ha?

That and they spell the car name wrong. I didn't turn in my paperwork yet so I'm sure it will get fixed when I do.

notchbackgta
10-14-2009, 12:21 PM
Can anyone come to watch? I will be in Vegas for SEMA and I have all of Saturday to kill... Can I tag along with someone here maybe? Ill be at the P-T dinner too

Steve1968LS2
10-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Can anyone come to watch? I will be in Vegas for SEMA and I have all of Saturday to kill... Can I tag along with someone here maybe? Ill be at the P-T dinner too

You can come watch from what I understand.

Larry Callahan
10-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Come along and help. lol! They still need people to help with cones and what not during the day.

notchbackgta
10-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Come along and help. lol! They still need people to help with cones and what not during the day.

I would be willing to help out! Who would I contact to arrange that?

Larry Callahan
10-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Jimi Day. I'll post something here later tonight. I think there are goodies and free shirts for doing it too.

Larry Callahan
10-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Here ya go. We still need help.

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59276

wicked68
10-14-2009, 07:25 PM
are they going to have a repair rig there in case anything breaks?

I am debating trailering vs shipping (trailer has all my tools / parts etc)

trailering = 4 days of driving
shipping = first class plane flight lol

Steve1968LS2
10-14-2009, 09:13 PM

We have duct tape and bailing wire.. Mary said it's all we need.. :shrug:

MCMLXIX
10-14-2009, 10:44 PM

I just emailed Jim about helping to find out what they need....

Finch
10-15-2009, 06:06 AM

3rd Option = Meet Bill, Yancy and myself in Nashville on 11/30 and drive your car to Vegas with us.

This is the true Street car test........

KEISLER
10-15-2009, 09:34 AM
3rd Option = Meet Bill, Yancy and myself in Nashville on 11/30 and drive your car to Vegas with us.

Hey Brian - don't forget me! We are looking forward to this trip with you, Bill and Yancy! Amos Automotive Press is sending one of their editors to ride with me all the way there and back, and cover the Optima Invitational.

This will be a fun trip for all of us. The 4000 miles I put on the Kuda in 2 months this summer will be dwarfed by this trip.

We're looking forward to showing off Jason Rushforth's new wheel design for the Kuda on the trip.

Steve1968LS2
10-15-2009, 09:39 AM
Hey I'm driving there too.. I just happen to only be 300 miles away :)

Be sure to pack some snow chains.. this "global warming" deal is getting frosty early this year.

Finch
10-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Hey Brian - don't forget me! We are looking forward to this trip with you, Bill and Yancy! Amos Automotive Press is sending one of their editors to ride with me all the way there and back, and cover the Optima Invitational.

This will be a fun trip for all of us. The 4000 miles I put on the Kuda in 2 months this summer will be dwarfed by this trip.

We're looking forward to showing off Jason Rushforth's new wheel design for the Kuda on the trip.

Great news, I wasnt sure if you were heading out with us or not.

It is getting close......

Bill Howell
10-15-2009, 12:05 PM

I am with Brian. You can hook up with us. I will be taking my trailer, tools, air compressor, generator, so we should be good with most any repair. This is all about the trip anyway, anyone can ship car art in a trailer, we drive our junk.

wicked68
10-15-2009, 01:22 PM

OMG! your balls are clearly bigger than mine to attempt that :D

I cant imagine roasting for 2000 miles at 8 mpg.......

I dont have air in the car - lol

wicked68
10-15-2009, 01:23 PM
I am with Brian. You can hook up with us. I will be taking my trailer, tools, air compressor, generator, so we should be good with most any repair. This is all about the trip anyway, anyone can ship car art in a trailer, we drive our junk.

awesome. thanks!

Bill Howell
10-15-2009, 02:09 PM

Awe, come on, it is November, not July. Who needs A/C????? lol

Steve1968LS2
10-15-2009, 02:51 PM
Awe, come on, it is November, not July. Who needs A/C????? lol

heck, AC just adds weight.. didn't I show that even wipers are optional. lol

Damn True
10-15-2009, 09:03 PM

It's November and your windows roll down right?

Put a shawl on over that pretty little sun dress and drive.:idea:

Steve1968LS2
10-15-2009, 09:22 PM
It's November and your windows roll down right?

Put a shawl on over that pretty little sun dress and drive.:idea:

The way things are cooling down I don't think A/C will be an issue.. more like snow tires!

I can't believe it's already snowing in some places..

KEISLER
10-16-2009, 06:21 AM

You should do the trip with us. It will be fun! You could always get one of those little spot coolers. And you have the TKO - you are ready to rock!

wicked68
10-17-2009, 12:44 PM
just ordered a set of R1's - wow that was expensive!

Steve1968LS2
10-17-2009, 12:53 PM
just ordered a set of R1's - wow that was expensive!

Yea, my tires just set me back $1000 with shipping.. and I get a "good guy" discount. Brake pads were another $400. sigh...

Crap.. I can think of better ways to spend that $$$. Especially for considering these are specialty tires..

Vegas69
10-17-2009, 01:14 PM

I just bought a 24' enclosed. Anybody that runs the Optima challenge is welcome to use it. I'm driving mine out to watch the festivities.

wicked68
10-17-2009, 01:21 PM
I just bought a 24' enclosed. Anybody that runs the Optima challenge is welcome to use it. I'm driving mine out to watch the festivities.

thats a good point I didnt think about.

what are people doing about transport from lv at sema to the pahrump track - 60 miles appx.?

Is everyone going to drive out there on their track tires??

vegas69 - awesome offer - but I dont have truck to pull it if I ship my car out :D

to those that have run thse kind of tires - is this risking it to drive on them all the way to the track - or are they like drag radials where 60 miles is no big deal on them and isnt going to affect performance?

Vegas69
10-17-2009, 01:29 PM
I'm sure someone will have a truck around capable of pulling the trailer. I'd do it for you but it's bad enough to watch let alone not drive my car to the event. If they are 100 tread wear I dove mine out to Spring Mountain on my r888's ran 2 heats and back. I didn't have any problems and they gripped really well.

brans72
10-17-2009, 03:33 PM
I wanna the the RS Performance Chevelle Win to show everyone big body cars can hang with all the camaros!

mpozzi
10-17-2009, 04:15 PM
The Roadster Shop's Chevelle is one cool car and it should do very well. As for a repair rig, Dave and I will have our trailers there and both have floor jacks and tools if anyone needs them.

Driving on the street using race rubber isn't encouraged but there are some that tempt fate. If you have someone that can transport the wheels/tires to Spring Mountain for OPTIMA, choose that route instead if you have to drive to the track.

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

Steve1968LS2
10-17-2009, 04:36 PM
The Roadster Shop's Chevelle is one cool car and it should do very well. As for a repair rig, Dave and I will have our trailers there and both have floor jacks and tools if anyone needs them.

Driving on the street using race rubber isn't encouraged but there are some that tempt fate. If you have someone that can transport the wheels/tires to Spring Mountain for OPTIMA, choose that route instead if you have to drive to the track.

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

The R1 is a "DOT" street legal tire.. but it really has no tread so hitting any water would be "bad"..

My greater concern would be damaging the tire on the way to the track and be SOL for running the event. These tires are lightweight and more easily damaged than a real street tire.

Mary and David are bringing my wheels/tires to the event and I will put them on there.

I will have some tools and such there as well.

Steve1968LS2
10-17-2009, 04:38 PM
I wanna see the RS Performance Chevelle Win to show everyone big body cars can hang with all the camaros!

You mean the one that ran last year? If so then it's one fine automobile.

Events like this are less about the car and more about how a car there is set-up and "sorted out".

The other big challenge is that the winning car has to do many things good.. Most cars will do good on the road track or on the autocross, but it's harder to do great on both since each challenge requires different things from the car.

Should be fun.. we start putting the Camaro back together next week... maybe we will actually get it alligned this year. lol

wicked68
10-17-2009, 05:18 PM
well I guess a flatbed wrecker ride is in the cards then - since I dont have an extra set of rims to drag along. I guess I could - but by the time I just pay for the wrecker ride - it would be about the same probably as buying another set of front rims and shipping an extra 4 tires out.....
I guess I will check it out though. the trick would be to get the tires changed out at sema and then changed out again at the track.

I will check into it.

will anyone have a floor jack and lug wrench at sema at the end of the show?

Finch
10-17-2009, 09:21 PM
I am having my R1's mounted up once we get into town and will have them on for SEMA and the drive to the track. I need some break in time on them before the run so 60+ miles will have to do.

wicked68
10-18-2009, 12:54 AM
when is everyone heading over to the track from LV?

hotrdblder
10-18-2009, 04:29 AM
I am having my R1's mounted up once we get into town and will have them on for SEMA and the drive to the track. I need some break in time on them before the run so 60+ miles will have to do.
brian i am sure kyle knows, but get them good and hot with acceleration and braking a few times on trip to track, it will put a good heat cylce into them, and not bother at all.

Steve1968LS2
10-18-2009, 06:53 AM
when is everyone heading over to the track from LV?

Spring Mountain is about an hour from Vegas so we will leave LV at about 5:45 or so.

Larry Callahan
10-18-2009, 06:58 AM
I need a place to stash MotiV8r after SEMA on Friday night. I wonder if the track will be open. The ideal thing for me would be to head that way Friday night and get a hotel closer to the track.

mpozzi
10-18-2009, 10:44 AM
We're staying in Pahrump Friday night. Call the track and see if they'll be taking cars Friday.

Mary P.

Steve1968LS2
10-18-2009, 02:58 PM
I need a place to stash MotiV8r after SEMA on Friday night. I wonder if the track will be open. The ideal thing for me would be to head that way Friday night and get a hotel closer to the track.

Most hotels out there are filled up already.. we tried last week and no joy.

I have a condo in south LV that's less than a hour away. I was gonna toss penny under a car cover and call it good.

Would rather stage at the track, so I will call thier manager tomorrow to find out if it's possible for us to do that. The problem I see is time. I would bet they would want the car there by 5pm and I doubt we will be out of SEMA by then.

wicked68
10-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Most hotels out there are filled up already.. we tried last week and no joy.

I have a condo in south LV that's less than a hour away. I was gonna toss penny under a car cover and call it good.

Would rather stage at the track, so I will call thier manager tomorrow to find out if it's possible for us to do that. The problem I see is time. I would bet they would want the car there by 5pm and I doubt we will be out of SEMA by then.

if you stay in vegas in the nicer hotels that night - most will be happy to keep your car in the valet line right up front with cameras and personell all night on guard - they like to have nice cars up front

Steve1968LS2
10-18-2009, 03:49 PM
if you stay in vegas in the nicer hotels that night - most will be happy to keep your car in the valet line right up front with cameras and personell all night on guard - they like to have nice cars up front

My place is a pretty nice condo deal outside of vegas.. I'm pretty sure the car would be fine under a cover..

Would look nice parked in front of the Belagio though.. lol

YancyJohns
10-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Just got the phone w/ Lisa at the Best Western in Pahrump, 4 miles from the track and she has plenty of rooms @ $69.00 plus tax.
here's the number 775-727-5100

wicked68
10-18-2009, 06:26 PM
My place is a pretty nice condo deal outside of vegas.. I'm pretty sure the car would be fine under a cover..

yeah the should put the event stickers on the cars at sema and they can get some free publicity out of the caRS ON THE strip for a day.

Vegas69
10-18-2009, 07:07 PM

Steve, I could make room for her for one night. Safe and sound she'll be in my garage with mine.

nvmyss
10-21-2009, 12:00 PM
Like Rich said before. I also have a pickup (2500),if anyone needs something hauled out I'd be happy to help.Heck if you just need help in town or a garage to do a quick fix, I'm here give me a ring.
702-541-2 six one 0

wicked68
10-23-2009, 05:29 AM
Like Rich said before. I also have a pickup (2500),if anyone needs something hauled out I'd be happy to help.Heck if you just need help in town or a garage to do a quick fix, I'm here give me a ring.
702-541-2 six one 0
do you have a trailer or is there a place to rent one?

James OLC
10-23-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm trying to avoid renting a car to get to the track so I am wondering if anyone would be able to give my wife and I ride to and from the strip on Saturday?

I'll trade a ride for a ride - your choice of road course or autocross in the OLC...

notchbackgta
10-23-2009, 10:42 AM
I'm trying to avoid renting a car to get to the track so I am wondering if anyone would be able to give my wife and I ride to and from the strip on Saturday?

I'll trade a ride for a ride - your choice of road course or autocross in the OLC...

I was planning on renting a car to go there for the day. I am leaving on Sunday from Vegas so I would be returing to the Hotel after the event. If you are interested PM me and I can give you my info.

Still havent heard about volunteering though...

nvmyss
10-23-2009, 09:14 PM
do you have a trailer or is there a place to rent one?
Nope no longer have a trailer, dunno on the rental other than the u-haul junk.

79-TA
10-24-2009, 01:08 AM
I was planning on renting a car to go there for the day. I am leaving on Sunday from Vegas so I would be returing to the Hotel after the event. If you are interested PM me and I can give you my info.

Still havent heard about volunteering though...

Uhh, same offer just in case. I'm staying in the Riviera in Vegas and I'll be driving my grandparent's Buick Rendezvous.

Larry Callahan
10-24-2009, 05:20 AM
Anyone know where I can stash my u-haul trailer for the week during SEMA?

cmraman
10-24-2009, 07:44 AM

I've got a rental. I'll be at the Stratosphere leaving in the AM for the track if you want to hitch.

nvmyss
10-24-2009, 09:05 PM
Anyone know where I can stash my u-haul trailer for the week during SEMA?

How big is it?

I could throw my spare frame on it & park it next to my house behind the gate in the RV parking spot.

Larry Callahan
10-24-2009, 09:14 PM
It looks like this

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Midwest Performance
10-25-2009, 06:56 AM
I'm building a PT car and have never been in a car of this caliber. I would love to go for a ride to wet my whistle.
My dad is very conservative and does not understand why I want a car like the ones on PT. I would love to arrange a ride for him too and give him a glimpse of why.
Would anyone be interested in giving a ride at Optima Streetcar Challenge?

Larry Callahan
10-25-2009, 07:13 AM
I'm sure when it's not competition time you might be able to but, there were medical forms and releases we all had to fill out and mail in ahead of time that might not allow it.

Midwest Performance
10-25-2009, 07:20 AM
Thanks Larry, I was not aware of that.

nvmyss
10-25-2009, 07:45 AM
Larry,
I'm sure I accommodate you.
Only thing is I'm on the North end of town, opposite direction of Pahrump.

wicked68
10-25-2009, 12:23 PM
wow - 400.00 to have it flatbed towed to pahrump - looks like we will be driving and keeping our fingers crossed unless somone knows of a trailer that will handle it that I can hire for a more reasonable rate.

Mary or anyone else in the know - will 60 miles of driving on -2 degrees of camber eat these tires up before we get there? these are r1s with tw rating of 40

wicked68
10-25-2009, 12:34 PM

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi
I dont have an extra set of wheels and tires to send all the way out there.

arrgghhh

dodes anyone know of a company out there in vegas that can trailer the car the 60 miles for me for a reasonable rate?

400 is just insane for a wrecker company.

Larry Callahan
10-25-2009, 12:44 PM
I'm one step closer to being ready for SEMA and the Optima event. I just spent the last couple of hours beating the snot out of Motiv8r.

So far so good.

I think I put 55 miles on the front tires and 65 on the rear. LOL!

Bill Howell
10-25-2009, 02:00 PM
I dont have an extra set of wheels and tires to send all the way out there.

arrgghhh

dodes anyone know of a company out there in vegas that can trailer the car the 60 miles for me for a reasonable rate?

400 is just insane for a wrecker company.

We will have my trailer out there, but plan to drive our cars from Vegas to Pahrump. The trailer will be empty unless we break something coming out. You can hitch a ride in my trailer if you want, we will travel to Pahrump the night before, see Yancy's post above regarding hotel we are staying at. Just let me know, I will be there all week.

ironworks
10-25-2009, 02:40 PM
I can haul the car from the sema show to Pahrump for you. Email me and we can figure something out if needed.

[email protected]

Rodger

wicked68
10-25-2009, 03:06 PM
We will have my trailer out there, but plan to drive our cars from Vegas to Pahrump. The trailer will be empty unless we break something coming out. You can hitch a ride in my trailer if you want, we will travel to Pahrump the night before, see Yancy's post above regarding hotel we are staying at. Just let me know, I will be there all week.

bill that would be great - when are you leaving from vegas to pahrump with the trailer?

Bill Howell
10-25-2009, 03:09 PM
bill that would be great - when are you leaving from vegas to pahrump with the trailer?

Friday evening sometime.

BTW, where are your other set of tires/wheels? We are hauling out our spares. bring them to me by Wednesday and you can have the extra set there.

wicked68
10-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Friday evening sometime.

BTW, where are your other set of tires/wheels? We are hauling out our spares. bring them to me by Wednesday and you can have the extra set there.

they dont match the car - so they look like crap - I am not even bringing them and I only have rear rims - they are newer cobra r versions for drag racing only.

Bill Howell
10-25-2009, 06:31 PM
they dont match the car - so they look like crap - I am not even bringing them and I only have rear rims - they are newer cobra r versions for drag racing only.

I have the wheels and tires Steven Rupp had on the Fastlane Fairlane in my shop that were for drag race days. I could throw them in the trailer and let you use the fronts to drive out? they are centerline skinnys and 15" but might fit? Anyway, we can haul you out too.

wicked68
10-25-2009, 06:54 PM
I have the wheels and tires Steven Rupp had on the Fastlane Fairlane in my shop that were for drag race days. I could throw them in the trailer and let you use the fronts to drive out? they are centerline skinnys and 15" but might fit? Anyway, we can haul you out too.

we can look at them but likely the backspacing etc will off.

either way - if they dont fit that would be great if I could get a haul out.

I will buy you dinner for it :D

Larry Callahan
10-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Larry,
I'm sure I accommodate you.
Only thing is I'm on the North end of town, opposite direction of Pahrump.

Adam, I think I will take you up on the offer. I will PM you my phone number.

showa
10-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Adam,

When you live North, it's only a little longer drive to go back way into Pahrump....Out past Creech AFB...

Pahrump cutoff takes you right by my friends at Phil Hayes Engineering....:1st:

And it's an easier tow without the big hill thru Mt Pass.....Plus it doesn't get snowed out.....Just brings you into Town at opposite end from Track...

Larry Callahan
10-25-2009, 08:58 PM
Kurt, is Phil Hayes offering trailer parking? I'm a little confused by the post.

What I need is a place near the convention center where I can leave the trailer from Sunday to Friday. Friday night I pick up the car and haul it to Pahrump where I will crash for the night.

nvmyss
10-25-2009, 09:15 PM
Larry what ever you need. I might be working late out at the speedway sun night. But we can figgure out something.

showa
10-26-2009, 07:12 AM
Sorry for confusion Larry....

Adam is trying to help you... I was just a little thread hi-jack there...

If Adam can't help, I live in the North West part of Vegas and could put the trailer in driveway for the week... Just about a 20- 30 minute drive from Convention Center...

Steve1968LS2
10-26-2009, 01:26 PM
I just called Spring Mountain and booked a trailer spot.. $15 a day.

800-391-6891 ask for Lindsay Shepard.

Drop the trailer there.. drive to vegas.. do SEMA.. drive back to Parumph.. simple. Besides, it's a fun drive through the hills.

Larry Callahan
10-26-2009, 01:36 PM
I am good on the trailer spot now. Adam has come to save the day.

Finch
10-26-2009, 02:11 PM
We got word today that the corral for the Optima Invitational will now be inside the main hall just behind the GM booth.

We are now uptown folks and can thumb our nose at the outsiders:hah:

Steve1968LS2
10-26-2009, 06:36 PM
We got word today that the corral for the Optima Invitational will now be inside the main hall just behind the GM booth.

We are now uptown folks and can thumb our nose at the outsiders:hah:

The "outsiders" are so dirty... from being outside.. we laugh at thier dust covered cars.

;)

I guess I should go back to putting my car back together...

Oh, by the way Brian.. I guess you owe me two beers now.. lol

Finch
10-26-2009, 06:44 PM
The "outsiders" are so dirty... from being outside.. we laugh at thier dust covered cars.

;)

Oh, by the way Brian.. I guess you owe me two beers now.. lol

Yes I do....Thanks

monza
10-27-2009, 08:51 AM

;)

I guess you should, you must be close to getting it all buttoned up, yes?

Just a quick shout out to everyone in the event, best of luck! Have fun, very cool to participate in such a high level PT event.

Spectators and people on the fence about going, go go go you will not see a cooler line up of PT cars totally being hammered on!

Steve1968LS2
10-27-2009, 09:35 AM
I guess you should, you must be close to getting it all buttoned up, yes?

Just a quick shout out to everyone in the event, best of luck! Have fun, very cool to participate in such a high level PT event.

Spectators and people on the fence about going, go go go you will not see a cooler line up of PT cars totally being hammered on!

Yep.. just need to install the new brake master and then do some cosmetic stuff.. we tested the car sunday and the handling is much improved and dialed in. All the welding and cutting done at the Pozzi's paid off. Now the car is actually fast ;)

And yes, it's a very cool event to spectate at.. looks like Speedvision is covering the event as well. I have some sort of interview set for Friday morning...

monza
10-27-2009, 10:37 AM
Yep.. just need to install the new brake master and then do some cosmetic stuff.. we tested the car sunday and the handling is much improved and dialed in. All the welding and cutting done at the Pozzi's paid off. Now the car is actually fast ;)

That's awesome, nice work team Penny. Now it's actually fast HA HA ... (was trying to say something smart ass'd regarding that but you've stumped me, you know it's hard to poke sticks at :1st:)

Steve1968LS2
10-27-2009, 11:31 AM
That's awesome, nice work team Penny. Now it's actually fast HA HA ... (was trying to say something smart ass'd regarding that but you've stumped me, you know it's hard to poke sticks at :1st:)

lol

RSX302
10-27-2009, 07:58 PM

And yes, it's a very cool event to spectate at.. looks like Speedvision is covering the event as well. I have some sort of interview set for Friday morning...

OK Steve, Mr Pozzi set the bar for you last year on the road course..:twothumbs 1:52

Will be intresting to see what the lap times get down to this year. 1:51, 1:50?

Wish I could be there..Awesome Event

Good luck to all!!!!

Steve1968LS2
10-27-2009, 08:02 PM
OK Steve, Mr Pozzi set the bar for you last year on the road course..:twothumbs 1:52

Will be intresting to see what the lap times get down to this year. 1:51, 1:50?

Wish I could be there..Awesome Event

Good luck to all!!!!

Well then.. he should do better this year.. heck, the car is a ton faster and when you factor in the tires.. well, I would think it will be quite a bit faster. Hell, we didn't have an alignment even.. this year we used string and everything.

Plus he's driven the car more. Last year at the event was the first time he had ever been behind the wheel. lol

I'm thinking 149... but that could just be overly optimistic. Are you coming to watch?

nvmyss
10-27-2009, 08:20 PM
So who is driving up from Vegas that morning, anybody want to meet and drive up together?

RSX302
10-27-2009, 08:35 PM
Well then.. he should do better this year.. heck, the car is a ton faster and when you factor in the tires.. well, I would think it will be quite a bit faster. Hell, we didn't have an alignment even.. this year we used string and everything.

Plus he's driven the car more. Last year at the event was the first time he had ever been behind the wheel. lol

I'm thinking 149... but that could just be overly optimistic. Are you coming to watch?

Oh..David is driving again this year? Why did I think you were driving..:hammer:

In that case it will be a good comparison to see how your mods worked.

I would say Dave would probably shave a half to a full second off the time just getting more seat time alone. If there were issues to fix/improve balance and handling, that could easily shave another second off. I think 1:49's are very possible...

Everybody better bring there A-game. Penny gonna be fly'n!!

I would love to go..We'll see..

VonHauer
10-28-2009, 08:05 PM
JSEkuKXuFIQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSEkuKXuFIQ

Hey all,
Made a new video in honor of Jimi Day... OK maybe it wasn't in honor, but it was fun! Hopefully you all get a laugh from it. The first voice over I made was almost 8 min long, I managed to tease most everybody, didn't figure most people would sit still for 8 min of video, so I cut it down and only teased a few people. Of course if everyone wanted, we could probably make a long one to include Steve(rupp) and still Bill (Howell) Larry C, etc. Hope you all enjoy the video and please don't forget to call Jimi for me! Have a great day.
Ty

Larry Callahan
10-28-2009, 08:18 PM
Too freaking funny!!!! I sent to Jimi and Cam. LOL!

Damn True
10-28-2009, 08:52 PM
That is freakin hilarious.

Steve1968LS2
10-29-2009, 06:19 AM
Oh please.. make fun of me! lol

That was very good Ty.. you should move to Hollywierd! :)

Larry Callahan
10-29-2009, 08:35 AM
That is funny stuff. I want to hear the 8 min version.

slowcamaro
10-29-2009, 08:45 AM

I agree with this guy.

mpozzi
10-29-2009, 09:07 AM
Ty sent this my way last night and I'm STILL laughing ... c'mon, Jimi, let him play.

That was hilarious and agree about a huge potential in filmmaking. Now I have to come up with new words ...

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

Bill Howell
10-29-2009, 12:51 PM
Hey, I am in, everyone makes fun of me, nothing new here.....lol

JEFFTATE
10-29-2009, 06:06 PM
That's hilarious Ty !!!
Thanks !!

VonHauer
10-29-2009, 08:14 PM
thank you all for the kind words! I'll be at the dinner, so maybe I can get some instead scoooooooop and make "better" fun of everyone?! If everyone shares a story with me about someone else, we could definitely compose something really gnarly. Rupp is too easy, but some of the others I could use some help with. Thanks again.
ty

Larry Callahan
10-29-2009, 08:23 PM
Oh now this could be fun.

bret
10-30-2009, 05:28 AM
Ty will be at SEMA, at the Pro-Touring dinner, and the Optima event WITH a video camera. NO ONE is safe!
BTW...Ty is a pretty decent driver...you never know what may transpire at Pahrump...

bret
10-30-2009, 05:31 AM
Did you guys catch the very ending with the combine in the field? That cracks me up...I don't know why.

Larry Callahan
10-30-2009, 05:32 AM
I didn't get it at first. Indiana. LOL!

John Wright
10-30-2009, 06:05 AM
Ditto what he^^ said...LOL

CarlC
10-30-2009, 08:54 AM
Larry, I sense that there is at least 3:16 of time that could be well spent at the dinner!

Too dang funny!

wicked68
10-30-2009, 09:35 AM
is there goingto be an air compressor there?

will it be ok under the rules to adjust air pressure for each event or do you have to run a single ap setup the whole day?

Larry Callahan
10-30-2009, 10:34 AM
You can change ap and I will bring a portable unit that runs on 12v

Midwest Performance
10-30-2009, 02:40 PM
I have a battery operated air compressor if you need one.

mpozzi
10-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Ty will be at SEMA, at the Pro-Touring dinner, and the Optima event WITH a video camera. NO ONE is safe!
BTW...Ty is a pretty decent driver...you never know what may transpire at Pahrump...

I am staying FAR AWAY from your booth and that dinner. Can't get out of OPTIMA but hope he runs out of 1) energy and 2) memory on the video camera by then.

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

mpozzi
10-30-2009, 05:42 PM
Did you guys catch the very ending with the combine in the field? That cracks me up...I don't know why.

I got it as my relatives are from Indiana. Farmers, too ... something about being outstanding in their fields.

Hiding now,
Mary Pozzi

wicked68
10-31-2009, 07:26 AM
I trust there will be quite a few battery chargers / jump stations there??

Larry Callahan
10-31-2009, 07:34 AM
At the least I will have a battery charger with me you can use.

VonHauer
10-31-2009, 10:47 PM
I am staying FAR AWAY from your booth and that dinner. Can't get out of OPTIMA but hope he runs out of 1) energy and 2) memory on the video camera by then.

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

Mary ya gotta know me better by now! 1) rust never sleeps 2) I've got a memory card with YOUR NAME on it
Theres no place you can go that I can't find you (insert evil laugh)

wicked68
11-01-2009, 06:37 AM
are we going to have cones marking the apex's and proper outside exit points on the curbs? Most of us will have never driven the course and with only having a few "warm up laps" this will be quite difficult compared to some of the guys that have a good bit of track time there.

RSX302
11-01-2009, 12:18 PM
are we going to have cones marking the apex's and proper outside exit points on the curbs? Most of us will have never driven the course and with only having a few "warm up laps" this will be quite difficult compared to some of the guys that have a good bit of track time there.

This event has much to do with the driver. (sorry, no pressue) A top notch car with a top notch driver will get you in the top 3. I think we kinda have a good idea who might be in the top 3.

Last years event I finish 8th overall which I was very happy with myself because it was the first time the car was at any race track (Road or Autocross). The first for myself at this track as well. Even though I here it was Mr. Pozzi's first time at this track, he is way more skilled then I. I'm sure my car would have finished many spots higher just changing the driver.

What I found the hardest was the Autocross. For my first time at an Autocross, I felt Mary Pozzi did an absolute fantastic job setting up the cones. Being a rookie, it took me a couple of times thru to figure it out. (A SEA OF ORANGE CONES) Once I figured it out, I was able to get my lap times down to 5th fastest and had a blast. (I'm sure quicker with Mary driving) I hope this year they'll let people run thru it a couple times before hand like they did the 2.2m track.

Good Luck and remember...Have a Great Time! put the car back on the trailer the same way it came off...

wicked68
11-01-2009, 03:49 PM
wow - I got to see everyones cars today - I am totally blown away - rediculously amazing is the only thing that comes to mind to appopriately describe the line up.

what a killer group of cars and definately a great group of people. great to meet everyone today!

cgrady
11-02-2009, 05:06 PM
I'm going to try and stay an extra day (SEMA), so i can see the invitational. Is the event spectator friendly?

Steve1968LS2
11-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Even though I here it was Mr. Pozzi's first time at this track, he is way more skilled then I. I'm sure my car would have finished many spots higher just changing the driver.

Yea, it was Dave's first time at Spring Mountain.. AND it was the first time he had ever driven my car.

But good drivers are like that.. and a great driver can really improve a good car and show it's abilities.

This year the driver to beat is Stielow.. that guy is crazy good.. I don't know which is the "car" to beat though.. so many choices.

DSE managed to get both of their cars onto the track today for test and tune sessions.. we were all jealous. lol

The game is so on.. should be fun. If Penny falls in the top 4-5 cars I will be happy since there's some serious stuff in attendance including kit cars and other things not there last year.

Bill Howell
11-02-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm going to try and stay an extra day (SEMA), so i can see the invitational. Is the event spectator friendly?
Yes, come on down. There is still a need for volunteers also if you are interested in helping out.

RSX302
11-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Yea, it was Dave's first time at Spring Mountain.. AND it was the first time he had ever driven my car.

But good drivers are like that.. and a great driver can really improve a good car and show it's abilities.

This year the driver to beat is Stielow.. that guy is crazy good.. I don't know which is the "car" to beat though.. so many choices.

DSE managed to get both of their cars onto the track today for test and tune sessions.. we were all jealous. lol

The game is so on.. should be fun. If Penny falls in the top 4-5 cars I will be happy since there's some serious stuff in attendance including kit cars and other things not there last year.

I would imagine it will be similar to last year. A percentage will not make it to the end, a percentage will be in the middle and a handfull will be fighting for the top spot.

I feel confident Penny will perform well. (I'm feeling top 3 at least)

Do we know how many people will be running R1's?

Looks like it will be around the same outside temps as last year. Little hard to get the tires up to good operating temp with 3-4 laps. Drive around the pits for a while before each event..lol

David Pozzi
11-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Just checking in from the motel in Pahrump. Penny is ready and set on "kill". Should be a fun day! Just found out an R8 is going to be running, so we'll see how we measure up to it.
Cheers, David

wellis77
11-07-2009, 05:21 AM
Good luck David, looking forward to hearing the results.

RSX302
11-07-2009, 12:32 PM
The Suspense is killin me!:enguard:

11-07-2009, 12:41 PM
I am at work and should just wait until I get home to check for updates but I can't wait. I think I check about every 15 minutes hoping someone will post something about the event. I got to now how its going and hoping we represent well.

notchbackgta
11-07-2009, 01:02 PM
This is really cool being around the cars. Someone ran a 1:49 something so far

11-07-2009, 02:27 PM
This is really cool being around the cars. Someone ran a 1:49 something so far

Details man details:1st:

notchbackgta
11-07-2009, 02:31 PM
I am puling transponders I don't have a lot of time for posting.
Best time so far is 1:46. I don't want to get in trouble for posting car times if I am not supposed to. Last year best was 1:51

Damn True
11-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Updates people, we need updates.

Bow Tie 67
11-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Best time so far is 1:46. I don't want to get in trouble for posting car times if I am not supposed to. Last year best was 1:51

What are they going to do spank you?

Tap, tap, tap, tap, tap.

monza
11-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Come on I'm dying here.... need results! please

RSX302
11-07-2009, 05:25 PM

1:46....that's flat out fly'n!!!

That's gotta be :1st:

Need MORE! Don't let me go to bed with nothing.

Gordz32
11-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Just got a call from Rupp. I'm not sure if I should say anything or not so I'll just say that all will be surprised!

Matt@BOS
11-07-2009, 07:37 PM
I never thought I'd get to see everything from the Roadster Shop's Vette, to Jackass, a c63 AMG black series and a Nissan GTR, among many other cool rides, all mixing it up at one event.

So I have to ask , does the winner get to take home the porn flyer filled trophy that was sitting atop Bad Penny during the show
Matt

RSX302
11-07-2009, 08:05 PM
You guy's that know something, come on the board messing with us are just NOT RIGHT...DOWN RIGHT EVIL!

tom_a
11-07-2009, 08:18 PM
I know this car did not win...

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/11/IMG_1384-1.jpg

tom_a
11-07-2009, 08:21 PM
I left early so I don't actually know who won but this little car did the 1:46 and it is a real one. Stielow did the 1:49 in Jackass :)

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/11/IMG_1382-1.jpg

ironworks
11-07-2009, 08:45 PM
I left early so I don't actually know who won but this little car did the 1:46 and it is a real one. Stielow did the 1:49 in Jackass :)

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/11/IMG_1382-1.jpg

I also saw this car man handle the autocross, so that would more then likely be 2 for 4 events for the bad ass cobra.

showa
11-07-2009, 08:47 PM
What a day.. I volunteered and missed some things but.....

Seeing a stationwagon do 0-60-0 and run outta track...
A REAL Cobra on the auto-x....
Hearing all the engines scream on the road course....
Putting faces to cars/names/etc...
Sunburn....
Good hotlink sandwich...

Priceless.....
:1st:

I'd do it again in a NY second.........

Mike Norris
11-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Overall Bad Penny took the win by .6 seconds give or take. Very close. More details will come for sure, but it was a cool day for sure and for me a must see and do.

Mike Norris

tom_a
11-07-2009, 09:50 PM
This is a very short and poor quality clip. Sorry guy's. The Vette behind JA is a ZR1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-ScCSa0FEI

Hmmm. try this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-ScCSa0FEI

monza
11-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Overall Bad Penny took the win by .6 seconds give or take. Very close. More details will come for sure, but it was a cool day for sure and for me a must see and do.

Mike Norris

Thanks for posting! More details ....

Congrats 'again' to Bad Penny and the team!!

RSX302
11-07-2009, 11:32 PM
Thanks guy's for the info/pics/vid. I can now go to sleep. Can't wait to see more.

Once again...Congrats to Team Rupp!!!:worship:

Steve1968LS2
11-08-2009, 12:28 AM
Thanks for posting! More details ....

Congrats 'again' to Bad Penny and the team!!

Yep.. I was shocked to learn that BP won again.. go figure.

The final deal was:

Bad Penny
Jackass
Real-deal Cobra

We won by 6/10ths of a second when all the times and style points were added up. I asked them to recheck the math and did.. many times.

I was told the key was consistency since we never had any "bad" laps that counted. In any event I'm glad I pushed hard in the auto-x even with the dead power steering. Makes the tired arms worth while. lol

A similar deal happened last year when the Campbell Auto Restoration Vette took second place overall but didn't place in any one event. I wonder if Hot Rod is pissed again.

I would also like to point out than none of the modern supercars at the event won any segment. That says alot for our hobby.

In any event, thanks to all those that helped me with the car. It was a killer day running with some of the most badass cars in the country.

Im sick so I'm heading to bed.. will work on some video soon.

Vegas69
11-08-2009, 01:16 AM
It was a great event with some killer cars. I would've loved to run but that didn't matter. I assume the cobra messed up the 0-60 runs. He seemed to be stopping short compared to others. Anyway, congrats Steve! Car looked awesome on the autocross and roadcourse.

Nine Ball
11-08-2009, 06:44 AM
Congrats again Penny! And you too Steve. LOL

CarlC
11-08-2009, 07:33 AM
Outstanding Steve and Charlie! Great job guys.

ProdigyCustoms
11-08-2009, 08:14 AM
Fricken unreal. Two years in a row! OK, I will admit, I am surprised. I under estimated you! Never again though!

Way to go! very impressive to say the least!

eville
11-08-2009, 08:34 AM
Conrats to Steve, the Pozzi's and everyone who helps make Penny one of the cars that everyone admires. All your hard work and dedication really pays off!

Now Steve, let me know when I can see her in person now that I'm staying in Anaheim.

Al Moreno
11-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Congrats Steve, I have some great pics of Penny in action that my son took. I will get him to post them.

Steve1968LS2
11-08-2009, 09:47 AM
It was a great event with some killer cars. I would've loved to run but that didn't matter. I assume the cobra messed up the 0-60 runs. He seemed to be stopping short compared to others. Anyway, congrats Steve! Car looked awesome on the autocross and roadcourse.

No, he did really well in the 0-60-0..

I also know he did really well (ie, fastest) in the autocross.. but I'm not sure all of his auto-x runs were good. If he hit some cones or failed to stop in time (5 second penalty) then that would really hurt his overall score.

And there's also the style portion. It's "just" a stock Cobra so I'm betting it didn't score high in that section and a bad score there can really hurt you in a cumaltive score event.

In any event, it's an honor to win again and it was a pleasure hanging out with some of the baddest cars in the country.

Steve1968LS2
11-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Congrats Steve, I have some great pics of Penny in action that my son took. I will get him to post them.

Fricken unreal. Two years in a row! OK, I will admit, I am surprised. I under estimated you! Never again though!

Way to go! very impressive to say the least!

Conrats to Steve, the Pozzi's and everyone who helps make Penny one of the cars that everyone admires. All your hard work and dedication really pays off!

Now Steve, let me know when I can see her in person now that I'm staying in Anaheim.

Thanks guys.. wining by 6/10ths of a seconds is a crazy small margin. We are going to have to really step it up for next year and I bet the car will get a band new Turn One pump right before the race, I never want to go through that again.

Again thanks and this isn't a win for me.. it's a win for a HUGE group of people that have been involved with the car.

Roger M
11-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Congratulations on another win Steve. Good to see all of your hard work/upgrades pay off.:1st:

Someone posted earlier about the Cobra being a 'real' car? Is it actually a real original Shelby car or maybe a continuation car or a Kit?

Steve1968LS2
11-08-2009, 10:00 AM
Congratulations on another win Steve. Good to see all of your hard work/upgrades pay off.:1st:

Someone posted earlier about the Cobra being a 'real' car? Is it actually a real original Shelby car or maybe a continuation car or a Kit?

My understanding was that it was a REAL Cobra.. I never asked if that included being a contination car.

The owner was really nice and his friend that was driving it was super cool as well. David Pozzi knew the guy and I guess he is some sort of National Champion Corvette driver. Other than spinning on his practice lap the guy simply tore up the track in his friend's Cobra. I heard it had 600 rwhp in a 2400 pound car.. man that thing was sweet to watch.

Roger M
11-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the answer.

I hope to see more video of the event.

ProdigyCustoms
11-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Amazing it was a real Cobra $500,000-Million? WOW!

So how important were the style points?

skatinjay27
11-08-2009, 10:50 AM
not only was it a REAL cobra BUT!.................

the the that had it was the ORIGINAL owner!!

class67
11-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Wow....good news, Congrats to you Steve and to everybody involved with Bad Penny!

zbugger
11-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Congrats Steve, Dave, Mary, and anyone else who put their blood sweat and tears into the car. I guess eventually I'll be able to see more than pictures of Penny. Great car. I'd have to call her the top car right now. And this just makes it more obvious.

WILWAXU
11-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Awesome! Congrats Steve and crew!

Les Nessman
11-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Im sick so I'm heading to bed.. will work on some video soon.

Sick, or the victim of a communist conspiracy to sabotage the race, I wonder...

Congrats to Team Bad Penny:1st:

buickfunnycar.com
11-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Congrats Steve,wow...amazing win!

camcojb
11-08-2009, 01:27 PM

real Cobra and the owner bought it new in 66....................... :)

Style points were very important...............

Jody

Tucks69
11-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Congats Steve.

Roger M
11-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Style points were very important...............

:confused:

I don't get it

camcojb
11-08-2009, 01:56 PM
:confused:

I don't get it
Frank asked how important were the style points (the car show judging part) given in the racing event and I answered that they were very important.

Jody

Steve1968LS2
11-08-2009, 02:50 PM

Important enough I guess.. enough to make up for our slower top times. A lot of lap times are added together, hit some cones to gather up other penalties and it can really erode a time cushion.

Yea, cool story that it was the original owner's car and his driver was a super cool guy. Nice to see a real deal car getting flogged like that.

Bow Tie 67
11-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Congrats team BP, I say throw the style points out, this is not a car show. Make it just like the motorstate challenge, lord knows I needed the break. :)

Steve1968LS2
11-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Frank asked how important were the style points (the car show judging part) given in the racing event and I answered that they were very important.

Jody

Yea, style was a quarter of the contest...

I can't say I love winning by only 6/10ths.. then again I didn't make the rules and I didn't do the math.

I talked with Dave about next year and we both agreed that we need to bring a better game. Except for the PS pump and to a lesser degree the clutch the car didn't let us down.

Steve1968LS2
11-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Congrats team BP, I say throw the style points out, this is not a car show. Make it just like the motorstate challenge, lord knows I needed the break. :)

It's part of their "equalizer" deal.. and goes with the "looks good and goes fast part" it really works to penalize newer cars and is a bit of an equilizer for stuff like ABS, etc.

Last year our lead was big enough that it didn't matter.. not so this year.

Wouldn't bother me if they took that segment out since it would save me a lot of work cleaning and polishing my car. lol

The 0-60-0 is fun but almost insignigicant.. the difference between Penny and Jackass was something like 2/10ths of a second. Mostly it's a chance to make a big time costing mistake.

Oh, and there was a ton of broken cars this year.. way more carnage than last year.

Vegas69
11-08-2009, 03:09 PM
The guy with the Cobra deserves a ton of respect. To bring out that priceless car and beat it is exactly what we are all about. That cobra was like bringing a machine gun to a gun fight. I want one! Has anyone posted all the time slips from the competitors? Two of the biggest surprises for me was Ryan Mathews at DSE turning in that 1:47 and Steve Rupp turning in that 43 on the autocross with limited steering. I expected Penny to be faster on the road course than last year with all the tweaks as well. Maybe the changes didn't fit Dave's driving style. That rotunda was ridiculous. I called it the miata corner. :1st:

Steve1968LS2
11-08-2009, 03:19 PM
The guy with the Cobra deserves a ton of respect. To bring out that priceless car and beat it is exactly what we are all about. That cobra was like bringing a machine gun to a gun fight. I want one! Has anyone posted all the time slips from the competitors? Two of the biggest surprises for me was Ryan Mathews at DSE turning in that 1:47 and Steve Rupp turning in that 43 on the autocross with limited steering. I expected Penny to be faster on the road course than last year with all the tweaks as well. Maybe the changes didn't fit Dave's driving style. That rotunda was ridiculous. I called it the miata corner. :1st:

Yea.. "limited steering" is an understatement.. lol

We think the problem with the time was that Dave was driving the suggested track line rather than his own line (the one he drove last year). We will know more once we overlay the Racepak track data.

The car felt great and Dave though it handled better than last year. Good enough for me.

That Cobra was like bringing a tactical nuke to a gun fight.. Man, it sounded NASTY..

camcojb
11-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Yea, style was a quarter of the contest...

yeah, but WAY more than a quarter of the influence. They need to make sure that the four sections of the challenge have equal influence in the next one (my opinion).

Jody

Adam_R
11-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Is there a brake down on who won what?

Bill Howell
11-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Mostly it's a chance to make a big time costing mistake.

It is also a great way to test aftermarket parts.......maybe even prove some are junk.....

CarlC
11-08-2009, 04:12 PM
I bet the car will get a band new Turn One pump right before the race, I never want to go through that again.

You may want to think about a cooler as well. It's a small price to pay for the reliabilty gained.

Remember the conversation we had in the garage in Buttonwillow about not selling you or the car short? A great car + a great driver + a great crew is like 2+2+2=10.

Add another zero to your Barret Jackson sale.

Steve1968LS2
11-08-2009, 04:32 PM
It is also a great way to test aftermarket parts.......maybe even prove some are junk.....

Yea, or how some are downright unsafe...

Some failures.. if at the wrong time (like on a road course in a hard turn) could kill you..

Steve1968LS2
11-08-2009, 04:34 PM
You may want to think about a cooler as well. It's a small price to pay for the reliabilty gained.

Remember the conversation we had in the garage in Buttonwillow about not selling you or the car short? A great car + a great driver + a great crew is like 2+2+2=10.

Add another zero to your Barret Jackson sale.

According to Turn One I don't need one.. I have been beating on it for three years.

I'm sending it to them for a failure analysis.. Will report back.

You forgot adding in a bit of luck.. that always helps. The BJ deal is so tempting, but I would miss the car too much.

Steve1968LS2
11-08-2009, 04:40 PM
yeah, but WAY more than a quarter of the influence. They need to make sure that the four sections of the challenge have equal influence in the next one (my opinion).

Jody

This is where I'm unclear. my impression was that style was a 1-10 scale with 1 being best (the way it was last year).. That made sense when they read off the final times, but didn't when the talked about the style catagory on it's own (which sounded like a 1-100 scale).

I see the point of it, like an equalizer between street cars and race cars (like Big Red or that Cobra).

Anyways, I'm sure some people are pissed but I didn't make the rules or do the math. If Jackass would have stopped just a bit faster in the 0-60-0 then they would have the glass fishbowl. Even if we wouldn't have won we were happy with the car and knew that we tried hard to do our best.

Charley Lillard
11-08-2009, 04:56 PM
The judging was done incorrectly. The Cobra should have won everything. Every piece of info I have seen on the shootout has the style points awarded 1-10 points which I believe translates into seconds on the overall score. Instead at the show they change to a 100 point style system. To me that means that the style judge can basically add 100 seconds to your overall lap times if he feels your car has no style. I can see 10 seconds like the rules stated everywhere. Not 100 seconds. Why even show up at the track ? Just email pics of your car to the style judges and let them decide the winner. We are out there fighting for just a couple seconds each lap but it can all be wiped out by a arbitrary decision. The Cobra was like a gun at a knife fight and I see where if he would have won the overall he would probably just keep winning every year because the overall winner gets invited back and maybe nobody would bother to show up but this needs to be fixed. Just change the rules so the winner gets to come back and run exhibition only. Great event but we are having to consult Zoltar to guess what the rules are. The Cobra was also given 1st and 2nd place in two segments which was also incorrect if your read the rules. Everyone in the room was shaking their heads. That Cobra is flat awsome and deserved the overall title. Sorry if this pisses some people off but the styling should not carry what looks to me like 90% of the clout and the performance is just window dressing. If I'm wrong about how the points go I apologize but that appears to me the only way that Penny beat that Cobra. I have my printed out info and this site also states 1-10 on style points....never 1-100. Way too much power in the hands of the style judges if they can do a 1-100 point award. Someone else can probably explain it better than I have. Sorry but I had to get it off my chest.