PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Gen Camaro rear frame rails?

super74
07-21-2009, 04:15 PM
Linka Lot :http://www.jegs.com/p/Competition-Engineering/Competition-Engineering-Rear-Frame-Rails/749702/10002/-1

I was thinking about using these frame rails in place of the stock, puny, stamped steel ones. The issue i had was when I was looking into the dse deep tubs I noticed you had to notch the frame? The rear frame is not that big to begin with, so why not cut out the stock frame rail and weld in these (a little closer together ) to allow for bigger tires i.e 315 /45 /17? Any thoughts for or against are appreciated.

MrQuick
07-21-2009, 06:03 PM
Excellent idea, if you are going to replace the rails, just move them in to accomidate the tubs.

super74
07-22-2009, 03:34 PM
I dont think the air bar system will work with the frame rails moved in closer together. They also use existing holes in the stock frame rail to reference the airbar to the car. With aftermarket rails these holes will be gone. I guess I was wondering if any one has done something similar. There isn't a bolt in rear frame kit for 2nd gens yet, and by using these aftermarket rails I could fab one up for way less money.

MrQuick
07-22-2009, 06:05 PM
If your stock frame rails are still there, mock up the bar set up and then estimate where you will put the new frame rails. you could make adjustments in the mounting from there.
As long as you keep your control arm mounting points in the same place you should not have a problem.