PDA

View Full Version : Fixing a Striped Air Cleaner Stud

ChevyIIMan
08-24-2004, 02:43 AM
Whats the best way to repair striped threads in a holly where the air cleaner stud goes.

derekf
08-24-2004, 04:28 AM
I would think a Helicoil or similar, but I am not sure that they make them that small?

I guess you could drill it out and tap it to the next size and just use threaded stock instead of the normal rod, but you'd have to come up with a larger hold-down nut.

Brad
08-24-2004, 04:29 AM
If you've got room to drill and tap it for a heli-coil thats a good route. You could also go to a local home improvement store and find the next size "all-thread" and go to that size. Again drilling and tapping.

Good luck!

CAMAROBOY69
08-26-2004, 09:26 AM
This might not be the best method but what about JBweld or some sort of epoxy. Just a long shot and again not the best method to repair it.

ChevyIIMan
08-26-2004, 03:11 PM
This might not be the best method but what about JBweld or some sort of epoxy. Just a long shot and again not the best method to repair it.

I though about that but then if I ever want to change air cleaners what would I do lol....

Matt@RFR
08-26-2004, 04:19 PM
My vote is to use a heli-coil. Whatever you do, be sure to take the carburetor off the motor and either take it fully apart, or tape up everything except the aircleaner stud hole so no aluminum gets in the carburetor/motor.

ChevyIIMan
08-26-2004, 06:53 PM
Yeah I will be pulling the carb no matter what I do.... thanks im gonna talk to the shop about putting a helicoil in it.