PDA

View Full Version : Lets get deep..... Cars and soles..... long read

LowBuckX
08-24-2004, 12:07 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ive often sat in my garage staring at my car dreaming of the things it could be And some times I feel it is staring at me telling me what it wants to be. Like a child and a parent talking of the future. I feel i have a close relationship with my Nova after 11 years and few monthes.
Just somthing you cant exsplain to a non car person who veiws them as objects for mear transportation. And if you cant relate you need a new hobby.

I feel that most new cars feel dead no sole only one purpose. You get behind the wheel turn the key sit there and it just has nothing to say as if its dead. Maybe that comes in time as it grows older and lives out adventures with its owners or what ever.

I can tell when My Novas not happy. One example is i took the q-jet off and played with a Holley for a few years tuned it did everything under the sun to get it correct and it just never felt right. It ran great but didnt have that feeling you get when all is good with the wife or girl. It had that you pissed me off and Im giveing you the cold shoulder feeling. So this winter I "Went back to basics" pulled out alot of the stereo crap fixed all the wiring went back the q-jet and it has that good "this is what i want" feeling again.

But the big question I have pondered ALOT is where does the sole live?
I ask this because what if you replace something and thats where it was! I see tones of car with new engines trannys totally rebuilt bodys with new 1/4s roofs doors everything new but the shape. did the sole leave? does it reside in the airspace and your building around it?

In my case it isnt in the engine tranny or rear end. Thats all been replaced along with the fenders 1/4s and doors.

Another reason Im posting this is a buddy of mine has a camaro that he has had for a long time and he views it as an object that exsists only for his entertainment and he drops tons of money in it only for it to break all the time. I built his last motor and its holding up but all the others in the past have blown also has blown countless trannys 4 rear ends. blah blah blah. Ive had mine a bit longer and I drive it just as hard and it all hangs on. Like a child trying to do his or her best for their parent.

Ive ran out of things to say on this issue without dialoge. so let me hear what you think. Where is the sole. Have any storys of thing that make you feel your car is speeking with you or is at least in tune with you...

Or am I just a nut that thinks his car tells him to do bad thing

Shawn (The voices tell me to do bad things not my car) :screwy:

apex69
08-24-2004, 02:50 AM
As a mechanical engineer, all is met with calculated reason, rationale, and proof of being. On the other hand from a pure sociological standpoint the “sole”, which I’m sure some will agree, exists as a metaphoric means to justify the “giving” to maintain mechanical well being. In my opinion my Camaro has sole as a state of being but not a sole as in, a being. As it is a part of me, owned since 86, it’s been on a power tour from the day I got it. Having sat for 13 years this Camaro has logged 130,000+ miles since my ownership. I have heard whispers of, I want this and I want that, I have provided what was needed and not given into the whims of every demand.

Her body solid throughout, gestures that it is time for paint. Like you, I built engines for friends in trade for paint/bodywork only to find my engine building was superior to the body/paint I was having done. I heard “don’t let any one else touch me”. This was profound and soon I found myself learning how to paint. Acrylic enamel has adorned the flawless panels since 87 and has held up well. The acrylic enamel was to the urethane as the cubic zirconium is to the diamond. My car was indifferent but the timeless beauty is now coming of age.

The sole of a vehicle’s existence is comprised of the amount of sole one is willing to pour into it. It’s the manner in which it is altered, modified, maintained and used is a reflection of the sole that possesses that vehicle. We the enthusiasts provide the sole that can make or break the euphoric bliss of mechanical distinction. We have all seen F car 4x4’s this is a genetic faux pas in where an exorcism had been performed. That is an example of a lost sole. I am one with my car and have not experienced any of the drawbacks as a result of experimentation that I frequently perform on my beast. I take a methodically researched and calculated approach to an alteration that is done. The sole that it has is the sole that is me. :jump: :rolleyes5

Radio Joe
08-24-2004, 04:50 AM
Maybe its not sole, but an Aura (spelling?). It is the energy surrounding the entity known as "your car".

Seriously... I know what you mean. It may not really be that the car has a sole... more like your "feelings" towards the completeness of the car are echoed back to you from the car and only the car. Have you ever seen a kid who has an old beater that he thinks is the greatest car on earth? The car is the greatest car on earth because HE feels it is.

WOW MAN!!! THATS HEAVY :headbang:

Steve Chryssos
08-24-2004, 05:21 AM
Had my car for 23 years. The soul must reside in the roof panel, the cowl panel or that piece of metal between the rear window and trunk as those are the only original parts left on the car--yet it has always felt like MY car.

My car's soul is MEAN. :evil:
1) It loves to cut me every chance it gets. I can hear it say: "Mmm..CAR LIKES BLOOD!!!" I no longer clean up the blood drippings. I leave them where they land as a pagan offering in hopes that the car will not crave more blood.
2) It's also very superficial and materialistic. When I buy it lo-buck parts, the car always breaks them during the test drive or will not let me install them at all. It whispers: "yeah--nice try....Go away and don't come back without some expensive gifts (parts). I want Kinesis wheels and those pretty cross-drilled rotors!!!"
3) My car is a real slut too. Wherever I park it, it's always attracting the eye of some "other" car guy (or girl--it goes both ways). :naughty: It makes me park in such a way that it can show off it's "good side". I've learned to accept this. Now I leave extra time when running errands for my car to flirt with strangers and pose for photo ops.
/Steevo

yody
08-24-2004, 11:02 PM
Flames will not be tolerated, Yody. - Ralph

heres my 2cents, i think if you totally redo the whole car it becomes a "new" car if you will. I think the car still retains it old soul if it doesnt' go through totally drastic changes which change the attitude or feeling of the car, but it would be more geared towards things that have to do with looks not performance, and it would have to be a lot of things all done at once, otherwise it will still be the same old car you are used too.

yody
08-24-2004, 11:31 PM
hmmm, don't know what that quote was supposed to mean, but lets keep it civil, don't want to start the first flame of the new forum. sorry for any rude remarks.

LowBuckX
08-24-2004, 11:41 PM
edit..... Im trying to stop smoking and Im on edge.

derekf
08-25-2004, 03:19 AM
I don't care who's been here longer, who started it, who's in the right or wrong, or who has the bigger tallywacker.

I do care about this site and I do not want to see it end up like so many other car sites on the web. This site and this group are better than that, let's keep it that way.

Knock it off.

yody
08-25-2004, 07:55 AM
like i said lets keep it civil, you are correct didn't realize you were propain. funny never saw you get so anal on the old board, my original intention wasn't to piss you off or anything, lets get back to the topic

Jim Nilsen
08-25-2004, 08:18 AM
I believe that when you car gets a title it is born.

The soul comes from the people who build it and can be transformed into Frankenstein if in the wrong hands. But none the less Frankenstein seemed to still have a soul and a very big sole to go with it after his transformation.

I have seen the soul of a Firebird get transformed to a Camaro and still have the original soul of a title.

And if you owe money on your car it's soul will speak to you through others who claim to own a part of it's soul.

A free soul car is one on a car lot or for sale in or your drive. Or is that a lost soul?

Rolling around from owner to owner could make it a vagabond soul ?

If you get mad enough and kick your car it might have a sole/soul mate?

Needless to say : Does your car own your soul or do you own it?

I'm a soul car/ I'm a soul man I'm a car man with soul.

If you put your soul into your car it will have more soul than was built into it in the first place. Even tire kickers are adding more soul / sole with every kick.

So when you start your car up , say :
IT'S ALIVE ! IT'S ALIVE!

Jim Nilsen

yody
08-25-2004, 10:05 AM
good for you for trying to quit!! :)

TRILOGYZ28
08-25-2004, 10:29 AM
Had my car for 23 years. The soul must reside in the roof panel, the cowl panel or that piece of metal between the rear window and trunk as those are the only original parts left on the car--yet it has always felt like MY car.

My car's soul is MEAN. :evil:
1) It loves to cut me every chance it gets. I can hear it say: "Mmm..CAR LIKES BLOOD!!!" I no longer clean up the blood drippings. I leave them where they land as a pagan offering in hopes that the car will not crave more blood.
2) It's also very superficial and materialistic. When I buy it lo-buck parts, the car always breaks them during the test drive or will not let me install them at all. It whispers: "yeah--nice try....Go away and don't come back without some expensive gifts (parts). I want Kinesis wheels and those pretty cross-drilled rotors!!!"
3) My car is a real slut too. Wherever I park it, it's always attracting the eye of some "other" car guy (or girl--it goes both ways). :naughty: It makes me park in such a way that it can show off it's "good side". I've learned to accept this. Now I leave extra time when running errands for my car to flirt with strangers and pose for photo ops.
/Steevo

ROTFLOL !!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
oh man, i can't quit laughing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
now that's deep !

TRILOGYZ28
08-25-2004, 10:32 AM
My car speaks to me........"18x8's on the front with 235/35ZR18 tires, and 18x12's on the rear with 335/30ZR18 tires.Wayne Due front subframe with complete 84-87 Corvette front suspension, DSE Deeptubs in the rear, complete interior, drivetrain and wiring from a 98+ LS1 Trans Am......especially wayne due......wayne due..........wayne due........wayne dueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee."

lol!

Steve Chryssos
08-26-2004, 04:47 AM
That's funny!! Give in to the voices. You won't be disappointed. Just be careful. If the car starts saying things like "The kids don't need new shoes" or "Don't worry, the house just has a little hole in the roof--spend it all on me" Then you should be scared.
/Steevo