PDA

View Full Version : HID Conversion

redcarguy
03-27-2005, 06:34 PM
Do any of you have any experience with the round HID conversion “sealed beams” for muscle cars? I really want to put HID’s in the ‘vert, but I’m unsure of the quality etc of these units. Any input is appreciated!!

Another item I’m looking for is a billet aluminum gas cap for my Challenger. I see that the Overhaulin’ folks build-up of a Challenger used a billet cap and I was trying to get info on it. I’ve written Chip Foose 3 times (asked about wheels too) and never received a response. It’s kinda crappy that they publish an e-mail address to “contact” him if he doesn’t respond!:crying: :offtopic: Anyway, do any of you know what cap it is or if it was custom made for the show?

Thanks in advance for your help…

ilovefirstgens
03-27-2005, 06:39 PM
My question for the people that have done this is how dramatic is the difference before and after especially with the brights because theres virtually no difference in illumination with my lights whereas my moms a6 the brights light up absolutely anything you can see through the windsheild.

vintageracer
03-27-2005, 07:09 PM
I have a set of 7 inch "tri-bar" bulbs in my 70 Monte Carlo Convertible. These headlights are what a lot of street rodders run. They have a high intensity replaceable bulb in the glass headlight case. Very similiar to new car type installations only they fit in older vehicles.

They look good in the car and work OK. They have a prism type of reflector with lots of square flat surfaces on the reflector. The standard bulbs furnished with the lights is similiar (a little brighter) than a sealed beam quartz halogen bulb. You can change the filiment in the bulbs for a brighter or different color type of light including a xenon type of bulb. My wife's VW Toureg has the xenon headlights and they are FABULOUS!

I am not sure this is the type of bulb you are asking about however this is a posibility for your consideration.

Bill Howell
03-27-2005, 07:21 PM
...my 70 Monte Carlo Convertible.

:pics2: I don't believe I have ever seen one of those :dunno: Is this a custom job? I did not know Chevrolet ever made them in convertibles.
Oh yeah, I know :offtopic:

protour_chevelle
03-27-2005, 07:24 PM
Just run some 100watt bulbs. Or like my dad did in his younger years.... Use the headlights from a diesel locomotive. They bolt right into the stock location on 69 Camaro's hehehe.

On a side note... The lights on our 05 Legacy GT are frockin bright! My dad and I were sitting at a set of lights and this guy in front of us had is high beams on... So my dad turned on ours and you couldn't even see the guys own headlights on high beam lol.

-Matt

gmachinz
03-27-2005, 07:39 PM
Using Chevelle parts, it's fairly straightforward to install a convertible top in a Monte. In fact, GM did make at least a handful because they have actual "road photos" of them in their original literature-they cancelled that idea at the last minute and the "demo" vehicles were crushed, or so I read-who knows for sure. I've never seen an original survivor-only replicas using Chevelle parts. -Jabin

redcarguy
03-27-2005, 07:41 PM
I have a set of 7 inch "tri-bar" bulbs in my 70 Monte Carlo Convertible. These headlights are what a lot of street rodders run. They have a high intensity replaceable bulb in the glass headlight case. Very similiar to new car type installations only they fit in older vehicles.

They look good in the car and work OK. They have a prism type of reflector with lots of square flat surfaces on the reflector. The standard bulbs furnished with the lights is similiar (a little brighter) than a sealed beam quartz halogen bulb. You can change the filiment in the bulbs for a brighter or different color type of light including a xenon type of bulb. My wife's VW Toureg has the xenon headlights and they are FABULOUS!

I am not sure this is the type of bulb you are asking about however this is a posibility for your consideration.

Where did you find them? How hot do they get? I really want XENON's...had those in my G-35...they ROCK! The eBay stores are filled with "XENON" replacement "sealed beams"...I wanted to see if anyone has actually tried 'em.

Thanks for your feedback!!

yody
03-27-2005, 08:15 PM
read this thread, this should be enough info for now;
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4297

zbugger
03-27-2005, 08:27 PM
Yeah, what Yody said.

I'm running the headlights from Iguana Motors in my car. They are awesome. A different world from the lights my '77 Camaro came with stock.

redcarguy
03-28-2005, 05:39 AM
yody -- Thank you for pointing me there!! Did you work out the set-up you discussed in the thread? It sounds like this will be a bit tougher than I thought. :hmm: I figure there must be "good" BMW aftermarket HID upgrade kits out there...i guess i need to research those. Wouldn't the round pre-2001 7-series HID high and lows work??

zbugger -- Thanks for the link.

gmachinz -- did you put anything together yet? I know the other thread is only a month old...but...:seizure:

Thank you all for the help!

69Lowbird
03-28-2005, 01:32 PM
The A6 lights everything up because it uses a projector which has a much better light distribution. I can do HID conversions so email or PM me if you want to switch over. I only use OEM HID components and I can do a reflector setup or projector(providing you have the clearence for them). HID has 3x the lumens that a halogen bulb would. I can also send you some pictures of the HID's on my car for some comparison.

redcarguy
03-28-2005, 03:50 PM
The A6 lights everything up because it uses a projector which has a much better light distribution. I can do HID conversions so email or PM me if you want to switch over. I only use OEM HID components and I can do a reflector setup or projector(providing you have the clearence for them). HID has 3x the lumens that a halogen bulb would. I can also send you some pictures of the HID's on my car for some comparison.

You have a PM...