PDA

View Full Version : Idea's / Opinions on how to spice up Lemans Blue

BA.
07-15-2009, 04:24 PM
My car is finally ready for paint. (it's a 69 RS, adding SS hood)

I think I've decided upon a 1969 era Lemans Blue paint but I was hoping to liven it up a little bit. I mean, just looking at it, the hue is great, really great, but there's just not much 'effect' or anything going on in the sun ya know? It's old paint, so I can understand that, I just want to do something about it.

Would it be crazy to add a pearl over this paint, and, should I just use basic white pearl, blue or blue/green pearl or a silver pearl? Bad idea?
I've asked about adding metallic before but I haven't bought that yet for testing. I've been trying to find a newer color with no luck yet.
I guess I'm wary because I get a lot of funny looks when I ask about adding metallic to an existing paint.

Allan

MonzaRacer
07-15-2009, 05:17 PM
ok is this solid color or metallic? If its metallic simply remove the metallic from the mix and pick a color of mica and add that to the mix.
Done this several mixes with awesome results.
Also when your shooting lighter colors you can try spraying it over a white toner base or possibly silver, If you want it darker try over a dark blue toner base.
I have seen newer paints with metallic added(nephews Mustang), his black looks like green to me cause he added so much metallic.
Or go for the course metallic and go for the metal flake look.
also you can try adding subtle pin stripes or 69 stripes in mica/metallic laced clear then reclear over that for a hidden look.
We did this one on a car, we mixed up a quart of high solids clear and had it mixed with lavender mica, shot pin stripes down side and then the engine size on hood and quarters, then recleared whole car with 3 coats of clear, sanding and smoothing between coats,,,,super slick and stripes and logos only popped at times, other times it was missing,,,,even had a couple of state cops miss car after late evening burn out and under parking lot lights stripes really showed up great!
Good Luck
Lee

BA.
07-15-2009, 05:45 PM
I believe the Lemans Blue from 69 didn't have much metallic at all in it. At least not the 2083 PPG that I've got a little sample of. :)

Ummm. what's mica? a type of pearl?

oestek
07-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Try Hot Hues Warp Speed Blue... it's close to LeMans, but comes alive in the sun!

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/07/S71_061909_003-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/07/S71_061909_004-1.jpg

BA.
07-15-2009, 08:38 PM
That looks nice on the fender there Kevin. (on 2nd, 3rd, 4th looks......those pics are fantastic!!)

Funny you should mention that color as I did happen to pick up some of that Warp Speed Blue and did a little spray on a test panel. Your pictures there seem to look a little better than my version. lol. Might be due to my cheesy method of using a Pre-Val sprayer and then topping the next day with spray-can gloss. (ohh the crap I'll probably here about that)

It came out a lot more shiney and very uhh, "bluey" than I wanted when in broad daylight. Perhaps a little too 'alive'. Again, your's looks better in the pic's than my test panel does. There may be hope there yet.

Tonight I picked up the next chip down in Hot Hues chip brochure thing,..... "Sonic Boom"!! Noticeably darker at sunset, but no clear yet. Tomorrow will be interesting!