PDA

View Full Version : My Car

Protour_Pinto
08-23-2004, 10:34 PM
This is a quick pic of what I have been working on.

71 Pinto
500ci Cadillac
TH400 or 4L80E
Jag rear end
modified Pinto front end W/ home built control arms
ZO6 wheels/tires

The interior will be pretty basic. Small 'glass seats,Guages and Air Cond.

The body will remain pretty much stock. No flares. I have 67 Firebird tail lights. I have not made up my mind about shaving the body. The front end will be a steel tilt.

I will have to take better pics in the daylight.

BlazerSpeed
08-23-2004, 11:18 PM
the ultimate in rice destroying rejected iron :headbang:

seriously thats going to be one sweet ride when done, what else you got planned for it, and ya got anymore pics?
DEREK

BADVELLE
08-24-2004, 05:45 AM
Way to be different or daring to be different as it used to be called in some car mags. Please keep us posted. I like to see different cars being built and different ideas going into them.

Little Bob
08-24-2004, 08:04 AM
Thats going to be a sick car. How are you going to keep it going in a strait line with that short wheel base. I can't wait to see more of this car. I love it when people do different things.

Protour_Pinto
08-24-2004, 12:28 PM
Yea,Its a bit out of the box! I have always been drawn twards cars that were not the norm or popular. I have always liked the way the Pinto looked. This is the 3rd one that I have modified.

As far as going in a strait line, I guess I will have to learn a bit of restraint. That is not a real big thing to me though. I like the corners and living here in So-Cal I have plenty more of those than drag strips.

I dont know just how much abuse the Jag rear will be able to take so I will be beefing it up as much as I can right away.

The thing about the Caddy engine that I have always liked is how much it weighs,Or dosnt for that matter. With an Alum intake,headers and no power steering it is the same as a small block chevy. When you factor in the low RPMs where the earth moving torque comes in then its a pretty good match for my style.

I will take more pics the next time I am home in the day light. Working 15-18 hrs a day really sucks sometimes.

zbugger
08-24-2004, 03:47 PM
Heh.... And people say that I'm mentally disturbed.... :bananna2:

Protour_Pinto
08-24-2004, 11:05 PM
pics as promised

TRILOGYZ28
08-25-2004, 12:15 AM
wow,
that thing is gonna be as trick as a pinto can be ! :icon996:

definetly keep us posted !

Little Bob
08-25-2004, 04:19 AM
All I can say is WOW!

CAMAROBOY69
08-25-2004, 05:01 AM
Looking great and keep us posted!

Ralph LoGrasso
08-25-2004, 02:04 PM
That's going to be a crazy car! I can't wait to see it finished.

Stu Seitz
08-25-2004, 04:44 PM
OMG the is the coolest. Remindeds me of a model/concept I saw when I was younger, it had huge green flames on the side of it. What are you doing paint wise?

Protour_Pinto
08-25-2004, 07:58 PM
OMG the is the coolest. Remindeds me of a model/concept I saw when I was younger, it had huge green flames on the side of it. What are you doing paint wise?

The factory color was that pale baby puke green. Im thinking of that as a base and some sort of graffic with a cream color like on the new Bug or PT Cruiser. Scallops maybe. Thats a long way off though. I want to get it bolted together and see how all the parts work together before I get too excited about looks.

Stu Seitz
09-08-2004, 11:46 AM
Cool, good luck man

blazer4corners
09-08-2004, 03:04 PM
thats cool ,nice work so far

StRacerDuke
09-08-2004, 03:42 PM
Way cool.
That's so wrong it's sweet! Totaly style'n
Keep the build picture flowing.

Richz68
09-08-2004, 07:11 PM
I LOVE little cars with big BADA$$ motors!!!

I would really like to see a Pinto Party Wagon done up with mini-tubs and a newer Cobra 4.6/6spd drivetrain too!!!

grtpmkn
09-23-2004, 10:37 AM
WOW! I can't wait to see how this one progresses. Very trick and original, my friend.

Jims78elky
09-25-2004, 05:05 PM
Very Nice! My favorite pinto is this one...:drool:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

1970cuda
09-25-2004, 06:43 PM
as an open minded car guy, that ain't right, but will be bad azz when done! outside the box? i say way the f##k out of the box

awr68
09-25-2004, 08:42 PM
Ok I'm not a Pinto lover or even a Ford guy for that matter but those pics got my blood flowing!!! That is sooo unexpected I love it!! Keep up the great work, I can't wait to see it on the track!! :)

fire51
09-25-2004, 10:21 PM
nice start, can't wait to see it on the road.

64Thunderbolt
10-02-2004, 02:54 AM
Nice!!!
Im mostly into drag racing and I do like Nascar.. these Tour cars are peeking my interests again.
Again, Nice Car!! I really want to see this car finished.. Its the first Pinto Iv seen in a long time that reminds me of mine that I had back in high school ( a VERY long time ago) that had a soaped up 2400 (big solid cammed) engine and 5.0 5-speed, and that I AutoCrossed for some years.
Keep up the good work!!

cheers
Charlie

Cruiser
10-13-2004, 07:23 PM
you will not be able to this car after it's finished and running. Why you ask? 500 cubes of caddy in a Pinto that can corner like a roller skate. You won't even know it went by, the darn thing will be so small and so fast you will not be able to see it. You may only have the sensation it went by from the sound of the exhaust and you vortex it created when it went by blowing you around.

That is going to be one cool little ride.

Protour_Pinto
10-13-2004, 09:11 PM
Thanks for all the good words! I dont get too many from people I talk to around here. I do tend to do things a little bit outside the box and most of them have worked out so far!

I took some of the chassis out of the Pinto the other day. I was looking at it and thought it should be a bit lower. I figured I would drop the body a bit on the frame rails. That way the rockers will be the lowest part on the car.

I will snap some more pics soon.

F70t/a
10-14-2004, 02:32 PM
Dude I'm so freaking jealous. I'm so gonna have to drive up oneday and see that. Back in high school i wanted a 73 pinto all tricked out like that. I'm glad to see i'm not the only one that wanted to use a pinto :ssst:

POS71RS
10-19-2004, 09:43 PM
That really is awesome. Ive always loved the underdog, and that's so cool for a Pinto.
The only thing I question is the Jag rear. Besides holding up to the power youre looking at, I wonder about the brake set up. The inboard brakes are cool for rods, but I question them for autocross abuse. And those driveshafts are really skinny... But you'll probably break traction before you break a shaft.
More pics please.
Oh, and being in L.A., I would love to see this thing someday.

Steve Chryssos
10-20-2004, 03:22 AM
Great project. Keep us posted on your progress.

Protour_Pinto
10-20-2004, 02:00 PM
The only thing I question is the Jag rear. Besides holding up to the power youre looking at, I wonder about the brake set up. The inboard brakes are cool for rods, but I question them for autocross abuse. And those driveshafts are really skinny... But you'll probably break traction before you break a shaft.
More pics please.

As far as the Half Shafts go, I will be making some little driveshafts using some heavy duty 4 wheel drive u joints.

The inboard brakes should be ok. I have some wilwood calipers and will be making some vented disks to help shed the heat. Just have to watch on how hot the rear seals get. That is a common spot of the stock Jag.

I know drag style starts will not be on the menu. Its the same set up that they used on the original AC Cobras. There should be very little weight on the rear of the car so I am hoping the IRS will help in that department.

David Sloan
03-11-2005, 03:50 AM
Any Up dates on this car !
This thing is cool as SSS****TTTTTTTTTTT!!!! :candle:

vanzuuk1
03-13-2005, 12:50 PM
that thing will make courtney love look stable. awesome. if you do autocross i want to see a video of the smoke and cones. sick !

YankeeWhite
03-25-2005, 08:05 PM
Awesome. Everytime I lay into my Eldorado I wonder what it would be like in a light car.
You wouldn't happen to have a drivers side Eldorado manifold for a mid seventies would ya? Man, mine is in two pieces.

Protour_Pinto
03-27-2005, 06:44 PM
You wouldn't happen to have a drivers side Eldorado manifold for a mid seventies would ya? Man, mine is in two pieces.

I'll dig thru the pile and see what I still have.

Try MTS for some headers,The stockers came in two parts I think! Every one of them I see have them that way. Just kidding.