PDA

View Full Version : Steering box

GOAT756
07-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Are agr steering boxes any good?

72ElCamino
07-10-2009, 07:24 PM
what car do you have?

I have a 72 A body el camino and just did a popular Jeep Grand Cherokee swap that everyone does.

It was a fraction of a cost as an AGR box and probably almost as stiff.

so anyways, what car is it going on?

Matt

cudaman
07-10-2009, 11:40 PM
If it's a camaro, an IROC box is hard to beat.

SixtyAte
07-28-2009, 08:01 AM
Is the grand cherokee swap a direct bolt in? What adjustments need to be made?

Thanks!

LowBuckX
07-28-2009, 08:15 AM
Drove my car last night for the first time this year and Im still amazed at the feel of my Lee 600 box. Makes the car so much more enjoyable to drive.

wayne70
07-28-2009, 04:33 PM
Have an AGR box in a 70 chevelle for about 5yr's now and happy with it.

MadBadger
07-28-2009, 10:05 PM
I just got an IROC box installed in my 68 Camaro...haven't had a chance to drive it a whole lot yet, but the little bit I have I noticed a HUGE difference. It's heavier feeling, not sloppy and ultra-light like the original steering that was in the car....A really good investment in my opinion....

noobwrench
07-29-2009, 09:26 AM
Are agr steering boxes any good? Yes. They are top quality pieces and worth every dollar invested into them.

LowBuckX
07-29-2009, 09:34 AM
Top quality is a strech knowing the competition.. LEE ATS Detroit Speed.

noobwrench
07-29-2009, 09:52 AM
I couldnt tell you the difference between a DSE and AGR box other than the DSE one is a hundred more, and takes a special shaft. The elco that has the AGR box in it has seen use hard enough to snap the UCA cross shaft(that was a fun crash) and its still in great shape, ran it OUT of fluid at least twice too.

LowBuckX
07-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Exsplain what special shaft? Rag joint you mean maybe. running it out of fluid would not hurt it pump yes box no.

79T/Aman
07-29-2009, 02:52 PM
I couldnt tell you the difference between a DSE and AGR box other than the DSE one is a hundred more, and takes a special shaft. The elco that has the AGR box in it has seen use hard enough to snap the UCA cross shaft(that was a fun crash) and its still in great shape, ran it OUT of fluid at least twice too.

REALY!!!!!!!!! two different boxes alltogether.............

DriverzInc
07-29-2009, 03:47 PM
We just installed a Chassisworks box on a 67 and I can't tell you what a difference it made!

shep
07-30-2009, 07:38 PM
Is the grand Cherokee swap a direct bolt in? What adjustments need to be made?

Thanks!

It is sort of a direct bolt in. Put your a-body pitman arm on it and it bolts right to the frame. The only special pieces need are a mid 80's Chevy truck rag joint and adapters for the power steering hoses to adapt you old style hoses to the newer style ports in the box. Lee sells the adapters and rag joint in a kit for around $100 last I checked. You can also modify your steering shaft to accept the solid Jeep shaft so the rag joint isn't needed. The adapters still are unless you update your power steering pump to the new style fittings then custom hoses are required unless you can find an OEM one that will work

MonzaRacer
07-30-2009, 10:10 PM
Lee has the best boxes around

astross89
07-31-2009, 09:44 AM
does the iroc bolt right in the 68 camaro?

MadBadger
07-31-2009, 07:39 PM
does the iroc bolt right in the 68 camaro?

I bought an 87 IROC steering box at Napa Auto parts, and then a power steering pump and the high pressure line for the early 350 Chevy...The box bolted on just fine, the only thing I needed was some adapters from Lee's to get the older style high pressure line to mate to the newer power steering box.

I found links to several articles on the swap here on PT....Here's one:

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6253&highlight=steering+pump

Here is another page I found through PT:

http://69camaro.nextmill.net/steering.html

I paid and had the work done, but I probably could have done it myself, I just knew it would take me way too long to set aside the time to do it...

It steers like a new car now though!!!!!!

GenPac
08-01-2009, 07:50 PM
I just finished installing an AGR billet series in my '69 Chevelle. It has about the same effort as my daily driver 350z. A much needed improvement. I can't compare them to other offerings but it was night and day compared to the worn OEM box.

LowBuckX
08-01-2009, 08:48 PM
dont get me wrong I wasnt calling it absolute junk just stating a known fact around this and many more sites/comunities that the Lee Box is King right now.

MrQuick
08-01-2009, 08:56 PM
I've done almost all the swaps out there...IROC, Jeep, AGR, Unisteer rack, LS1 Camaro retro kit, Mustang rack and none even come close to the feel and performance of a Lee mod 600 box in an old car.
Save your money and get the best. You will not regret it.

The Jeep is a 600 series box and it is nice but the internal work that Lee does just makes it even better.

qwk406
08-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Drove my car last night for the first time this year and Im still amazed at the feel of my Lee 600 box. Makes the car so much more enjoyable to drive.
Installed a Lee box last summer, it made a world of difference, car feels unbelievable, probably one of the best improvements i've made.