PDA

View Full Version : Suspension-wise, what is out there for the '60s Big Car?

BanditDave
07-09-2009, 09:07 AM
Hey Guys,

Once I finish up my '78 PT Trans Am, I am going to get down to work on a '66 Grand Prix that will be more of a fun cruiser. As always, though, I can't leave anything alone so I want to upgrade the suspension in that car as well for better handling...what's out there and what crosses over?

Thanks!
Dave

silver69camaro
07-09-2009, 09:52 AM
How deep into the project do you want to go?

BanditDave
07-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Ut Oh....another M.E.!!! From Art Morrison no doubt...well, my pro-touring TA is going to be a fantastic ride. It has tube arms, upgraded brakes, lowered, higher spring rates, wheels tires, the whole package...so why not the whole ball of wax on this one? I would definitely consider tubular arms, big brakes and a stiff lowering spring for this car.

What did you have in mind, good sir? :poke:

:headbang::headbang::headbang:

silver69camaro
07-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Weelllll...thought maybe you'd consider a Max-G chassis with C6 front and 3-link rear, front/rear splined bars, 14" brakes...

But you'd have to remove your entire floor to install it, hence why I asked. It's a big project.

79T/Aman
07-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Call Paul at Ram Air Restoration 800-421-8455, he's got the rear tubular control arms and a new rear sway bar is not far away (maybe next week), other things are in the works for big cars

BanditDave
07-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Call Paul at Ram Air Restoration 800-421-8455, he's got the rear tubular control arms and a new rear sway bar is not far away (maybe next week), other things are in the works for big cars

You're not getting into any of the big car stuff are ya? i got pretty much every damn thing you sell on my TA...haha :1st:

BanditDave
07-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Weelllll...thought maybe you'd consider a Max-G chassis with C6 front and 3-link rear, front/rear splined bars, 14" brakes...

But you'd have to remove your entire floor to install it, hence why I asked. It's a big project.

How much does something like that run??? I am always up for a challenge...not sure this is exactly where I want to go with this car, but I VERY STRONGLY considered the max-g with my TA. If I go max-g or the like it will be for one car I have in mind and one car only - my '69 TA clone car...that is going to be my insane money pit! :yum::yum::yum:

79T/Aman
07-09-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm not getting into big cars but I have other companies such as Ram Air Restoration that I work with on other platforms.

BanditDave
07-10-2009, 03:31 AM
Cool! Thanks man!

Dave

silver69camaro
07-10-2009, 05:08 AM
How much does something like that run??? I am always up for a challenge...not sure this is exactly where I want to go with this car, but I VERY STRONGLY considered the max-g with my TA. If I go max-g or the like it will be for one car I have in mind and one car only - my '69 TA clone car...that is going to be my insane money pit! :yum::yum::yum:

Complete chassis (with diff, axles, etc) run somewhere around $13k or so.

bret
07-13-2009, 12:37 PM
I have a 68 Bonneville. Here is a link to a picture of the car on the track at Putnam Park. It has also run the autocross at Nashville and will again this weekend at the Bowler Transmission show in Illinois. Fun car. People laugh hysterically after riding in this thing. It corners like a go cart and rides like a NEW Cadillac.
http://ridetechgarage.com/more/1968-bonneville/

2ndgenhunter
08-11-2009, 10:28 AM
I'm running into the same problem with my 68 Impala. The best thing I've came up with is use airride tech street challenge strong arms with QA1 DA coilovers. This is the best plan I got so far without spending 7K.

ProdigyCustoms
08-11-2009, 12:05 PM
I got 2 words for ya Air Ride!

Skip Fix
08-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Hotchkis and Global both have stuff for 58-64 Impala/big cars but mainly tweaking the factory pieces.

JEFFTATE
08-11-2009, 06:20 PM
I have a 68 Bonneville. Here is a link to a picture of the car on the track at Putnam Park. It has also run the autocross at Nashville and will again this weekend at the Bowler Transmission show in Illinois. Fun car. People laugh hysterically after riding in this thing. It corners like a go cart and rides like a NEW Cadillac.
http://ridetechgarage.com/more/1968-bonneville/

Goodness Bret !
Where was that Bonneville when we were up there in June ??
I didn't see it ..
It looks FUN !