PDA

View Full Version : what to use to repaint rusty roof?

Johnny Blaze
07-06-2009, 06:01 PM
I am wanting to go ahead and repaint the roof on my 61. There is no paint on it now.

It has a solid coat of rust. Not loose scaley, no holes. It is pitted a bit.

I would like to sand it, but don't think I want to try and sand all the rust away, thinking of using a por 15 type product, then a primer then a top coat.

Does that sound okay?

What product would you recomend?

oestek
07-06-2009, 07:13 PM
You may want to have that media blasted to get the rust out of the texture, then traditional epoxy primers, fillers, and spray polyesters will bring it back into shape for paint.

Johnny Blaze
07-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Got some polyester primer, and a quart of Arbor green mixed up.

Riderz Cycle
07-09-2009, 10:02 AM
X2 for the media blast and then put down a good epoxy primer and finally a high build primer block and and paint...(2) Could use Bill Hirsch chassy black the can says to apply over surface rust but I have never tried it that way...I would use option (1)

Johnny Blaze
07-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Got some por 15 on the way.

larkwrencher
07-10-2009, 01:42 PM
por is not really designed to be used as a base for any quality paint job. It is very hard to get primers and top coats to stick to it. media blast or sand and picklex then use epoxy.

I would hate for you to do all that work just to have your paint fall off

rjsjea
07-10-2009, 03:45 PM
por is not really designed to be used as a base for any quality paint job. It is very hard to get primers and top coats to stick to it. media blast or sand and picklex then use epoxy.

I would hate for you to do all that work just to have your paint fall off

Agree.....

Jim Nilsen
07-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Tips for painting over POR 15.

1st you must make sure you have 2 coats on and the 2nd coat is still a bit tacky, then fog or mist the surface with your pimer or paint. The POR doesn't care which. When the parts are totally dry you can paint over it as you would anything else.

You must make sure you have used the metal prep to etch the surface or delaminating can occur. The more rust that was there the better it will ahere.

I have have painted over POR on many things for a test and it works 95% of the time with no problems as long as you get it right when it is slightly tacky and a very fine dusting. The dusting should not start to change the color of the part it should look more like over spray.

Goodluck and be patient.

also never walk away from POR when it is drying when doing this as it can go from tacky to dry in less time than can calculate ,especially if the humidity is high at the time.

ErikLS2
07-13-2009, 08:52 AM
What about Eastwood Rust Encapsulator? I have used it under epoxy primer and then paint with no problems yet.

Johnny Blaze
07-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Okay, picked up some epoxy primer.

Hope to get this done next week will post pics!

BRIAN
07-15-2009, 12:34 PM
Go to your local hardware store and pic up some Naval Jelly and some wire brushes. I know it is just acid but whatever they do to it they make it work. You will see almost all of it come right off. I would wire brush out all the rest. For good measure get some SEM Rustmort or whatever they are calling it these days. It is a conversion coating that will turn whatever is left a black color. Wear gloves !!!

Then epoxy prime your panel. There are NO magic paints or epoxy paints that will last over any rust. Leave the POR 15 for floor pans even there I think it is a waste of time.

Tke the extra day to prep it correctly.

badbrad900rr
07-19-2009, 06:21 PM
i just did a 66 mustang with a top very similiar to what you are describing, i learned the hard way that media blasting is the only way to completly solve the problem. DA it with 40 best i could the first time, it started pimpling up with in a month, second time DA sanded again with 40 grit, used a metal wash/ rust neutralizer, then epoxy primed it, started pimpling again within a couple months, not nearly as bad, but unacceptable for anything out of my shop, 3rd time bit the bullet and got it media blasted, cost me $185 bucks, and most of that was for masking a car with a show ready paint job to blast a top and not mess the rest up! I would have blasted it initially the first time but there is no one around my area doing that. I had to go a hour out of town for the blasting but was with out question what should have been done the first time. hope this greatly influences your descision to have your car media blasted.

LateNight72
07-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Never use POR or RE or any of the paint over the rust treatments. They're junk, especially for exterior panels.