PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on my new firewall.

John510
07-02-2009, 05:08 PM
What do you guys think? Should I go back to the round tunnel or use this angled version?

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/07/firewall2-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/07/firewall-1.jpg

manicmechanic
07-02-2009, 08:10 PM
I would think round would promote airflow down the tunnel and help with removing heat from the trans. The way it looks now is that air will slam against the tunnel and be forced downward. Also don't know what this might sound/feel like at speed?

Riderz Cycle
07-05-2009, 04:37 PM
I'm not traditional and like different but in this case I would good back to the round tunnel

SatisTraction
07-07-2009, 09:04 AM
you will not see 95% of it with an engine in there so i would leave it.

Jim Nilsen
07-09-2009, 06:22 PM
It looks good to me and it will actually flow air pretty good once pressurized and the engine is in there. The engine makes all the difference once it is in there. Just make sure you have enough room to take out the top bellhousing bolt without moving the engine.

I can remember going through the worry of angles vs round and angles are just easier to work with for the most part if you have the equipment.

Things will be looking up just as soon as you get under there and start welding.

Have fun

Hidro
07-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Just make the edges you do see smooth with a nice radius.Like allready mentioned most of it wont be seen at all.

parsonsj
07-10-2009, 05:14 AM
The real question is: will it provide clearance for what you have planned? If so, weld it in. Radius the transitions, and move on. And x3 on the "you'll never see it with the engine in place".

jp

tom_a
07-10-2009, 07:17 AM
The real question is: will it provide clearance for what you have planned? If so, weld it in. Radius the transitions, and move on. And x3 on the "you'll never see it with the engine in place".

jp

I agree that a radius would look a little better imo. However like JP mentioned, I would be more concerned of what the net gain is. By the picture it looks like very little.

John510
07-11-2009, 02:32 PM
what do you guys mean by radius the edges? Im not the one doing to work its a bodyshop.

Hidro
07-11-2009, 03:42 PM
what do you guys mean by radius the edges? Im not the one doing to work its a bodyshop.

Instead of having sharp corner edges where it meets firewall, make it so there is a nice transition.

ie a nice smooth curve meeting firewall.(on the edges only though)

Your bodyshop man should know what it means. :)