PDA

View Full Version : 69 Camaro, ATS spindles, C6 brakes...what parking brake?

steelerguy
07-01-2009, 08:28 PM
I am planning on running ATS AFX spindles and like that fact that you can bolt up Corvette brakes. I saw that a new C6 Z06 brake package that included both front and rear calipers, rotors, and pads can be had for about $1700. This seemed to offer some pretty good savings over the aftermarket kits.

Then when I started to look into the rears, it pretty much seems like you have to get some type of kit to fit the brakes to a 12 bolt (or 9") which makes sense since the brakes were designed for a IRS. The thing that has me a bit confused is the parking brake. Is the only good way to do it, is run the C6 assembly that utilizes the integrated drum? Since you have to use a special kit to do this it looks to me to cost almost $900 to do over the cost of the Z06 brake package. At that point, it looks to start to become a wash in going with the Z06 brakes over Wilwoods.

It is entirely possible that I am looking at this the wrong way or there are other options.

Turbo67camaro
07-01-2009, 09:50 PM
I wrestled with that decision myself.

I went with the C6 Z51 system on all 4 corners w/ upgraded DBA rotors and an integrated parking brake in hat rear.

For me, the decision came down to the fact that I should be able to get pads and replacement rotors twenty years down the road if I need them, whereas I have less confidence in that being the case with the Wilwoods.

It was also my perception that the C6 Z51 calipers are designed for the street, whereas the Wilwoods for racing. I anticipate that the C6 calipers will handle dirt better and require less maintenance.

ErikLS2
07-02-2009, 12:28 PM
I have this exact same setup. I can buy the calipers wholesale for $230 each but got the rest of the stuff (mounting kit and parking brake stuff) from Tobin at Kore3. Great guy and VERY knowledgeable. Plus, I like the fact of having factory stuff for a street car.

Apogee
07-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Corey, thanks for the email and hopefully I cleared up any confusion with respect to the various kits we offer and their respective prices in my response to you this morning. Gotta look at apples to apples when comparing prices.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions concerning our products.

Thanks again,
Tobin
KORE3

gort69
07-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Another option might be to use LS1 backing plates, abutments and rotors with C5/6 calipers, pads, springs and shims.

Same basic park brake as C6, but will require some fabrication (space the backing plate and make an e cable bracket), but not too bad. Both use a 12" x 1.02 rotor, but I think the C5/6 is directional, while the LS1 is unisex.

Just a thought.

steelerguy
07-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Corey, thanks for the email and hopefully I cleared up any confusion with respect to the various kits we offer and their respective prices in my response to you this morning. Gotta look at apples to apples when comparing prices.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions concerning our products.

Thanks again,
Tobin
KORE3

Thank you for the response! Very thorough and cleared up exactly what I would need...especially if I went with different housing ends on a 12 bolt. Kind of annoying that the parking brake assembly ends up costing so much, but then again...it is pretty important!

I appreciate the time you took to respond to my specific question and you can expect an order from me in the not to distant future. Just need to get my garage back so I can actually start working on the car. (Contractors have taken it over while doing house work because of all the rain we have had here in NY).

Swainbuilt
07-16-2009, 01:10 PM
I am running the ATS spindles and 12 Bolt with the C6 ZO6 brakes. I got all the install parts from Tobin/Kore 3. I also thought the price was high for some small parts until I received the order. The kit is very complete and included many more parts than I expected. I was very impressed by the machining, quality and design of the parking brake assembly. I was further impressed by the level of customer service I received from Tobin with my many questions during installation.

Thanks again Tobin!

Blitz
08-17-2009, 09:20 PM
Anyone have pics?