PDA

View Full Version : PS Control Valve

BBPanel
06-29-2009, 11:01 AM
The Billet Specialties Control Valve - they say its for GM PS pumps - does that mean it will fit a Type II, LS1 pump or both? Looking to put it on my LS1. Thanks. -Bob
http://summitracing.com/parts/BSP-RP1300/

dhutton
06-29-2009, 11:23 AM
My assumption is that it installs in the rack. The AN fitting end is where you connect the line from the pump so it should work with either pump. I ordered one of these yesterday and hope to install it this weekend.

silver69camaro
06-29-2009, 01:04 PM
I posted this in the other forum as well:

What steering rack do you have?

A better option is a pump from KRC. We stock these pumps after becoming a believer when we installed them in our own vehicles - hands down the best pump available. You can tune the flow rate from 1.5GPM to 3.2GPM - a significant change in steering effort.

Some Ford racks require 1100PSI, while most GM pumps are way more than that. If your pressure is too high (which can damage the rack), we have a pressure reducing kit. AGR racks, for example, require 1100PSI and 3GPM for proper feel.

Also, that will fit a LS pump - but pressure will remain unchanged.

dhutton
06-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Hi Matt. This part is similar to one sold by DSE for the same application. My assumption was that the restriction will result in a pressure drop due to the fluid flow. It would also reduce the flow. Is that not the case?

What does your pressure reducing kit contain? What is involved in the installation? Since I have an AME subframe and an LS1 pump I am interested to hear about this before I go to the trouble of installing the Billet Specialties flow control valve.

Could you post up some pictures of your pump installation. It would be interesting to see.

Thanks,
Don

BBPanel
06-29-2009, 05:33 PM
My assumption is that it installs in the rack. The AN fitting end is where you connect the line from the pump so it should work with either pump. I ordered one of these yesterday and hope to install it this weekend.
Perhaps it will work in your rack but mine is inverted flare fittings not o-ring. Now the LS1 pump is an o-ring type fitting and I assumed it had to go there. Guess you'll find out when you get yours.

edit:
Now I see on BS's site their PS conversion fittings for and including up to 88 TBird racks (mine is an 86) and they are o-ring, not inverted flare, but they don't give any sizes or type (english or metric) - I checked again and my rack fittings are o-ring not inverted flare like I thought. (http://www.billetspecialties.com/item.asp?cid=7&scid=221&pid=1020).

dhutton
06-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Perhaps it will work in your rack but mine is inverted flare fittings not o-ring. Now the LS1 pump is an o-ring type fitting and I assumed it had to go there. Guess you'll find out when you get yours.

Matt says it goes on the LS1 pump and he knows better than me. I'll let you know.

BBPanel
06-29-2009, 06:13 PM
Matt says it goes on the LS1 pump and he knows better than me. I'll let you know.
How about the pressure vs flow issue you brought up?

silver69camaro
06-30-2009, 05:08 AM
Yes, those go on the pump itself. The rack has no removable fitting, it's a part of the casting.

Anyway, those will not reduce pressure because that is controlled by the blow-off valve located behind the flow control valve.

Don, your rack (and most Ford-based racks) require 1000-1100PSI. I've run mine higher than that with sucess, but I suggest lowering that long-term. Our pressure reducing kit simply shims the blow-off spring just like GM/Delphi does to adjust pressure. It's pretty simple. Also, you may find 2GPM a bit firm for your application, but it's really a trial-and-error thing. Ours will be 3GPM, but again, trial-and-error will tell you what is best for your liking.

Which again, brings back the KRC pump especially if you have a LS1 engine. It bolts right in. The flow is far more linear than any factory-based pump out there, and the flow rate is tunable. Ever feel the smooth steering of a M3? That's the only way I can explain it. Just plain awesome.

silver69camaro
06-30-2009, 05:13 AM
To give you an idea on how these components install into the pump, here's a sketch:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

The flow control valve simply screws into the pump casting. The widget located behind the flow valve is the pressure blow-off valve.

BBPanel
06-30-2009, 06:04 AM
Thanks Matt for the info. So the KRC is a direct bolt-in replacement? Same mounting, uses fbody reservoir, fbody pulley, etc? When you say tunable - to pressure or flow or both? Can you give us a ballpark cost?

BBPanel
06-30-2009, 06:11 AM
Question on the shimming - seems like a shim behind the spring would increase the pressure at which the blowoff activates since you are compressing the spring requiring more pressure to move the the blowoff to a position that relieves or bypasses fluid doesn't it? Unless I'm thinking this backwards (which is a real possibility) it would seem like a lower rated spring is what we need - or cut a coil off the spring? Trying to understand how this works. -Bob

silver69camaro
06-30-2009, 06:23 AM
Bob, the KRC pump will require an external resevoir on LS1 engines due to the clocking. KRC does have an available bolt-on tank, but would be mounted sideways on LS1 engines. LS2s are OK. It's nice to get rid of the leaky plastic tank, it does a poor job of keeping the fluid cool. It also includes a pulley to match the LS1's offset. See here:

http://www.krcpower.com/catalog_i6511532.html

Both pressure and flow can be changed, but really only flow needs to be tuned to your liking. Pressure has no effect on steering feel, unless if it's extremely low (say, 500psi for a system that requires 1200psi). Flow can be changed by replacing the output fitting, and are $15 each. The whole pump/pulley assembly is about $270. Quite a bargin for such a well made pump. You will notice a difference immediately.

The shim does not go behind the spring, actually. The shim goes between the inlet nut and valve body, which then decreases spring preload. Cutting the spring would render extremely low pressure - the shims we supply are only a few thou thick. Also, a simply holding tool is included so the valve body can be held in a vice without damage. Without this, the valve would be nicked and need to be replaced.