PDA

View Full Version : Vince's bachelor party track day!!!

MrQuick
03-24-2005, 10:03 PM
Hey everyone, as some of you may know im soon to be married to my long time girlfriend (aka Gina Mrs. Quick). So now, its celebration time.
Buttonwillow has a track clinic (http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/clinic.htm), its on a Saturday and features a short morning class, ride along with an instructor, lunch, then open track from 12:30pm to 4:30pm. Instead of renting the track for the afternoon, I will be setting up a get together at the clinic being held on July 16 2005.
Previously plans were for June 19th but have of the cars to show are down,including a fast Eleanore clone and a Lambo.So July worked better for most of us. Get your cars ready.
If you are interested please sound off here then you can email me (click on my screen name) or email Les Phillips at buttonwillow raceway at [email protected] to get on the list. There can be as many as 65 cars at a clinic. I've talked to him already so just leave your name and let him know your with the Vince's group.

jeffandre
03-25-2005, 06:41 AM
Congrats Vince, I would love to go but my car is a few years away. Where the heck is Buttonwillow anyway? I'll keep in touch,

dennis68
03-25-2005, 06:47 AM
I'm there!!!

Flyboy
03-25-2005, 07:37 AM
Congrats Vince, I would love to go but my car is a few years away. Where the heck is Buttonwillow anyway? I'll keep in touch,

Buttonwillow is directly west of Bakersfield, about a mile west of I-5. I was there back in 2003 helping a friend who was driving a super late model for his friend, helping him get the suspension dialed in.

c.schulz
03-25-2005, 10:29 AM
Vince you dog.Married ?? I thought you where saving yourself for me!!!

Congrats!!! :woot:

Chris

Steve1968LS2
03-25-2005, 10:35 AM
Hey, I would LOVE to be there.. maybe I could shoot some pics for the news section "the ultimate bachelor party"..

Will there be strippers??? ;)

Oh, I will have the 68 by then, dying to toss that biatch around the track some :D

p.s. Buttonwillow is a GREAT track with almost nothing to hit if you screw up!

MrQuick
03-25-2005, 05:52 PM
Hi guys, thanks Cris,but no...your a sick puppy! LOL staying with the doggie theme. :help:
No Steve haven't found any strippers that would follow us into battle, funny they'd meet us in a dark alley tho?!?! It would be cool if you can get some pictures in the mag...tell ya,if your bringing that beast,let me know I will stay behind you since you can't find anything eles to hit! I have to admit I wanna see it run. So far I have 12... Any takers?? don't be shy! :candle: This should be alot of fun.
Oh sorry, its on a Saturday

Salt Racer
03-25-2005, 07:07 PM
So my brilliant idea of stripper flag marshalls isn't looking good, huh? Bummer.

Jul. 16th is perfect for me. I can run at BuRP on Saturday, and go down to El Mirage on Sunday.

When's the due date for entry fee? I'm short on money right now.

CarlC
03-25-2005, 07:18 PM
Stripper flag marshals would not be a good idea. My eyes would be drifting away.....

Now strippers that want to buff my wheels between rounds, that's my kinda track day!

July 16 eh?

Does the clinic enforce restrictive passing rules?

Steve1968LS2
03-25-2005, 08:09 PM
Stripper flag marshals would not be a good idea. My eyes would be drifting away.....

Now strippers that want to buff my wheels between rounds, that's my kinda track day!

July 16 eh?

Does the clinic enforce restrictive passing rules?

Im sure the clinic is like any open track day at button.. only safe passing allowed.. pass one side.. wave by.. etc..

I want to race my car but I can't say I want to fender dance with anyone :)

dennis68
03-25-2005, 08:17 PM
Rubbin's racin' right?

Q ship
03-26-2005, 07:34 AM
I'm in, even if I end up driving the commuter car. Same question as Salt Racer though, when is the money due? And no previous track experience required, correct? Sending an Email to you Vince. Thanks!

MrQuick
03-26-2005, 10:54 AM
Strippers would be nice but remember the future groom doesn't have to pay right? except for tips of coarse , Reminds me of my trip to Vegas and a roll of quarters... or that time in LA with the pack of Baloney... never mind.
If you e mail Les, he can give you the scoop on all info you may have.Remember to mention the Vince's stripper bachelor party race....at least register now and pay later. I believe he has the registration open for us now...I can give you his phone number late this week. He's not advertising the July 16 date till end of May so that gives us some time.

Rubbin's racin' right? i feel sorry for the guys behind you...bondo dust in your air filter can't be good! :drive1:
Might be fun to tag along to Mirage after???? :idea:

Salt Racer
03-27-2005, 01:50 PM

Well, the idea is to make sure first timers will pay attention to flags.
Nah, I'm just joking around. I'd be looking at something other than flags - that wouldn't be a good thing. Those with 5-pt harness may have problems with that too.

The dry lake isn't too far from Buttonwillow. It's about 130 miles from Bakersfield, so it wouldn't be a bad drive. I hope my friends will be racing there.

I'm waiting reply from Les...

Stu Seitz
03-28-2005, 03:13 PM
I'm in but like some people have said before, when is the money due?

MrQuick
03-28-2005, 05:18 PM
Hi all.
My computers done due to the move so iam not able to check my email. Im sure Les has replied. If anyone eles get a response please post it for everyone. I think I will call him tomorrow. Like I said I think you can register then pay at the gate??? :fingersx: Looks like we might be building a car for the trip...05 Mustang or 02 GTO.
Im bringing our 3rd gen to thrash on.
I should be back on line by Saturday.

ViperBlue68
03-28-2005, 05:25 PM
[QUOTE=MrQuick]Hi all.
My computers done due to the move QUOTE]

Vince did you move allready?

MrQuick
03-28-2005, 09:38 PM
Still trying to figure out what we are going to do. But hey thanks to comcast my computers back up.

yody
04-01-2005, 11:03 PM
can you register for me? my fingers are swollen

MrQuick
04-02-2005, 12:05 AM
Ok what the hell did you do now? Oh get a PSP or did you get GT4? Jessica can type right? Anyone eles get info?

MrQuick
04-04-2005, 12:17 PM
Ok heres the official register form (http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/forms/brp_clinic.pdf). Remember its Saturday July 16th and please be sure to mention " Vince's bachelor track party". Thanks update payments and registration should be handled by June 1st. Thanks.

alcino
04-18-2005, 01:25 PM
This sounds fun. Just got back from the speedventures BW event on april 15. Man that was fun. Has anyone ever done a clinic? How is it different from an open track event?

Alcino

Steve1968LS2
04-18-2005, 01:49 PM
My car is on the way and should be here in a week.. so count me in!!!

But I want a damn stripper dammit!! ;)

Oh well.. how about I settle for a low optioned car.. :D

Mean 69
04-18-2005, 03:20 PM
I'm in. For real this time. Wheels are finally done, I will have them tomorrow, and the brakes are completely mocked up too. Of course, I am probably hexing myself like I did for the BuRP track event last Friday.... This will be a blast, and a word to the wise, bring some form of sun shelter. It might be a little toasty out there, extra water for car and body is good thinking.

Now, back to the stripper thing. It just wouldn't be a bachelor party without some wholesome entertainment. Is anyone on board from Bakersfield? There must be a few fine establishments out there that we could recruit from? I do have to agree with Katz though, the shoulder harness and anti-submarine belt will definitely hamper any really fun ride along activity visuals. Of course, if they are REALLY talented, they might find a way to use that to an advantage. Hmmm....

BTW, there is at least one more Speedventures OT event at BuRP, and I think two upcoming at Cal Speedway Roval too.

This is a GREAT idea for a BP, by the way. It should be a gas. Camping at the track available before and after?
Mark

Steve1968LS2
04-18-2005, 03:29 PM
Now, back to the stripper thing. It just wouldn't be a bachelor party without some wholesome entertainment. Is anyone on board from Bakersfield? There must be a few fine establishments out there that we could recruit from? I do have to agree with Katz though, the shoulder harness and anti-submarine belt will definitely hamper any really fun ride along activity visuals. Of course, if they are REALLY talented, they might find a way to use that to an advantage. Hmmm....

Three words..

Topless Flag Girl

dennis68
04-18-2005, 07:39 PM
BTW, there is at least one more Speedventures OT event at BuRP, and I think two upcoming at Cal Speedway Roval too.

Mark
NASA is running a few HPDE at Thunderhill between now and July, I'm going to try and make at least one of them.

MrQuick
04-18-2005, 11:17 PM
The clinic has a class and ride along with an instructor then its open track for a few hours...I think everyone is getting class time, im told its about a half hour. contact for Les @ Button willow is above.

Hey Dennis, im down for a cruise, let me know i'll bring the trailer! :nopity:

dennis68
04-19-2005, 05:47 AM
Yeehaw, makes it easier to drive hard when you know you have a ride home.

Salt Racer
04-19-2005, 11:56 AM
So are we really doing the stripper thing?

I'm all for it personally, but I'm asking this b/c my friend wants to bring along his 16-year old son. No doubt he (son) would enjoy it, but my friend as a parent probably won't.

Also is there any age limitation? Didn't see anything on BuRP website. I probably should ask Les, huh?

Steve1968LS2
04-19-2005, 02:20 PM
So are we really doing the stripper thing?

I'm all for it personally, but I'm asking this b/c my friend wants to bring along his 16-year old son. No doubt he (son) would enjoy it, but my friend as a parent probably won't.

Also is there any age limitation? Didn't see anything on BuRP website. I probably should ask Les, huh?

I sure the stripper is a just a lustfull day dream.. besides we need to corrupt the younger crowd away from imports so it is important that your friend's son attends..

:)

Salt Racer
04-19-2005, 04:43 PM
Well, that's good and bummer. I suppose those who are so inclined can hit a titty bar after the event.

He's a good kid. No worry about turning him into one of those ricers. I use the term ricers b/c I do have respect for those import guys who actually use their cars. IMO, domestic show car guys aren't much different from ricers.

Anyway, the father&son team is building a '94 ish Camaro with 500hp SBC and some suspension goodies. I don't necessarily agree with the idea of putting a 16-year old behind the wheel of a high hp car, but it's a neat deal. I sure wish my old man helped me build a 500hp Camaro when I was 16.

I seriously doubt the Camaro will be ready by July, so I may let him drive my Riv at moderate pace (that is if my car gets ready).

Orngcrush69
04-19-2005, 07:26 PM
I'm in, even if I don't have the QA1 shock package I want installed yet.

MrQuick
04-19-2005, 09:43 PM
Orange, You got a month or so...plus you can leave the morning of the event. What are you like 10 mins away? sweet
High horse 4th gen....great starter car. Did you find out if there was an age limit? Anyone register yet?

Orngcrush69
04-20-2005, 06:42 PM
Na...about 70 mins, just enough to warm up the oil. Davezz28 and I had a blast around the track at Buttonwillow, now it's just a work in progress. See ya there!

yody
04-21-2005, 10:23 AM
Vince, you must be the only guy who brings his fiance to his bachelor party!!

MrQuick
04-21-2005, 07:54 PM
actually she is not coming, she understands that its boys time out. Iam however going to run her car....different type of chain I suppose. :rotfl: he y where the hell ya been, people looking for you.

Salt Racer
04-22-2005, 06:26 AM
Does that mean I will get to see my old TTIIs in action?

MrQuick
04-24-2005, 10:46 PM
Thats right, you will see them again. Im getting new tires the end of this month. That do you recommend for a dual purpose car...285 rear 245 fronts.
I stopped by today and checked out the track.
Where are you guys staying...I have the phone number for Motel 6. They have great trailer parking. let me know

Salt Racer
04-25-2005, 05:34 AM
I'd just get the same size tires that I had. Kumho MX is very reasonable and sticky (so I hear). $139 for 245/45R17, $164 for 275/40R17 from Tirerack. They do have 285/40R17 for $169, so that's an option. Probably they'll make the car a little easier to drive out of corners (a little more squishy) when Mrs. Quick starts doing OT. Also a tad more curb protection.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Kumho&model=ECSTA+MX

At this point, I have no idea where I'll be staying.

alcino
04-25-2005, 11:48 AM
I love my toyo RA1's. regular deep tread depth (everyone tells me to shave them for performance), lasts a little longer that other race tires. I think I've heard around 10,000 miles from others who own them. I'm still on my first set with 2500 and the tread looks 85% there.

I bought mine from this guy, awesome service and the best price I could find.

www.bmwwheels.com

MrQuick
04-25-2005, 12:04 PM
Thank Alcino, "and Katz too", Gina already ordered the Kumos. We'll try the Toyo's on the "OTHER" Fbody. Your coming out in July too right?

alcino
04-25-2005, 06:52 PM
The only reason I won't be there is if my best friends bachelor party falls on that weekend. I will try to convince him otherwise. I can't miss a chance to be on a track with a bunch PTers.

alcino

CarlC
05-05-2005, 12:51 PM
OK guys, if you're up to having another red Camaro on track, I'd like to tag along.

Is it still $170?

What's the headcount up to?

Salt Racer
05-05-2005, 12:54 PM
Sorry Carl, it has to be blue or yellow.

j/k ;-)

I'll be there, but probably without my car.

Just curious. Do they have timing system? Or do you have to have your own?

CarlC
05-05-2005, 03:43 PM
Katz,

How about you in the passenger seat with a stopwatch? :-)

Salt Racer
05-05-2005, 03:56 PM
If you're joking, better tell me now or I'll bring my helmet! :wrc:

CarlC
05-05-2005, 04:07 PM
Vince,

I tried e-mailing Les, and got a response from Carrie. She needs to know the name of the group or name of the person. I sent in "Vince's Bachelor Party Track Day" but I think she missed it. I don't want to do a social fax-pas with her and mention stripper party. What referance should I use?

Thanks.

CarlC
05-05-2005, 04:15 PM
Bring your helmet.

Salt Racer
05-05-2005, 05:06 PM
Oooohhh, thank you Carl!! :hail:

I think I owe you one of these...
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/05/pattypatty-1.jpg

Seriously, lunch/drink is one me!

zbugger
05-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Oooohhh, thank you Carl!! :hail:

I think I owe you one of these...
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/05/pattypatty-1.jpg

Seriously, lunch/drink is one me!
So, you're thanking him by getting him a cow? Is it one of the one's at that place a few miles up the road?

Orngcrush69
05-05-2005, 06:30 PM
That burger looks like my first crankshaft, after I wasted it :-( . Carl it would be GREAT if you could show up!

CarlC
05-05-2005, 06:56 PM
Ahh, a 20x20 Animal Style. What, no 4# French Fry bucket? Don't get cheap on me Katz!

I wish Buttonwillow had an In-and-out-urge. Carl's Jr. is about it. David Pozzi and I had some fine dining from there at Hotchkis Track Day several years ago.

If someone is coming with a truck, and can bring a BBQ, that would be outstanding! If you want to see a bunch of jealous people start dining on a nicely grilled steak as they eat their bag lunch.

MrQuick
05-05-2005, 09:06 PM
Hi Carl, sorry i've been out working.
She should know about it too. I did email Les a guest list and he said to mention " Vince's bachelor party" for the July 16th clinic...looks like our positive head count is 29. 18 unsure/maybe. Too bad we couldn't set up just to rent the track for a day...next time? Katz, not too sure about the timers?Sorry to here your car won't be ready...anything we can do to help? Here's the phone number...six61-764-533three. I'll call him tomorrow too. Please post any helpfull info. Thanks,

Salt Racer
05-06-2005, 07:43 AM
So, you're thanking him by getting him a cow? Is it one of the one's at that place a few miles up the road?

In my native culture, cows are sacred animals and giving beef to someone is considered as an ultimate expression of gratitude.

It's a spin-off from last November's thread where Carl and I discussed In-N-Out Double Double animal style in depth.

I didn't think Carl would go for this monstorosity, but if he's so inclined, I'd be happy to buy him a couple of these along with 4 pound bucket of french fries ;-)

If you haven't figured out by now, Japanese people really don't revere cows.

Vince,
Thanks dude, but it's more of a money thing. I'm doing suspension design for a '68 Camaro racecar as a side job now, so I should get enough money to rebuild the motor in a couple of weeks. If the motor gets assembled before your b-party, then I may ask you for a help to put the car back together.

Mean 69
05-06-2005, 09:07 AM
I will be bringing my truck, I'm a wussy and will be towing the car. I can bring a smokey joe BBQ, and a cooler full of burgers, or whatever. I think it would be super cool to have a BBQ lunch with all of you guys. We'll have to corral a section off for all of us.

Vince, if it is not too late, I have a pair of the Kumho MX in 285/40/17 that I bought for mockup on my 65, they are brand new and unmounted. They are just taking up space right now, so if you're interested, let me know (or anyone for that matter, I also have a spare set of wheels in 17x8 with 235, and 17x9.5 with 265 Toyo Proxes tires in really great shape).

The RA1's are lasting that long?! Wow, I should have gotten them instead of the KD's. Next time I guess.

Coming soon! Man, time flys.
Mark

MrQuick
05-06-2005, 09:15 AM
Mark, interested in all, send me a PM with the price. thanks....donations for Katz's track experience starts now...line forms to the right! I'll give you $50 if you can finish that burger in one sitting!!

CarlC
05-06-2005, 10:38 AM
The stomach pump will cost more than $50!

Mark, you're the man.

David Pozzi can help refresh my memory, but the best place to pit late in the day is under the patio cover where all the tables are. The side to be on for late in the day is the upstream side of the main straight. It's going to be hot....

MrQuick
05-06-2005, 07:49 PM
Ok sort of an update.
I called and talked to Carrie and asked about the timers, she said you will have to stop watch it. Remember when you register to mention "Vince's bachelor party" or you will not receive the group discount.
Places to stay, Buttonwillow has several hotels.They are located on Tracy Ave.
I took a look and the best for trailer parking is Motel6 rows 231-237 or 131-137. These are adjacent to the trailer parking stalls. rate as of May 6th is $37.00 3 adults and $3.00 each additional. remember rates will go up as we get closer.phone number is (661) 764-5153. they'll leave the light on for ya....

MrQuick
05-06-2005, 07:53 PM
If the motor gets assembled before your b-party, then I may ask you for a help to put the car back together.

If its in Cali im down for a weekend scrub, im allergic to wet weather.

dennis68
05-06-2005, 08:31 PM
rate as of May 6th is $37.00 3 adults and $3.00 each additional. remember rates will go up as we get closer.phone number is (661) 764-5153. they'll leave the light on for ya....
If anybody needs a roomie let me know, I don't take up much room.

zbugger
05-06-2005, 09:02 PM
If anybody needs a roomie let me know, I don't take up much room.
lol... Is that what the wife says?

HA HA HA!!! How's that for a low blow!!! :firefire:

dennis68
05-06-2005, 09:25 PM
Going to be first but I'm going to keep this "G" rated and leave it alone. Watch your back buddy.

Mean 69
05-07-2005, 07:21 AM
Anyone up for camping at the track? Will they allow that? I read the post that David left, saying a guy got his entire rig stolen from a hotel. I'd be heartbroken if it happened to me. Just watch out for the rattlesnakies, I hate those things.

M

dennis68
05-07-2005, 10:53 AM
I guess you could always just sleep in the truck, maybe I'll leave the bench seat for a while. It is almost comfortable to nap on.

MrQuick
05-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Not too sure about the camping? that would be fun...especially if we can catch a skunk. Ever see an atomic sleeping bag?

Haaaahaaaa the guy announcing Nascar just yelled " oh wow he just beat him off!!! " now thats funny.....

naw you don't have to keep the bench, you can sleep in the burb' if you want. DVD player and magic fingers seats...the bomb!

dennis68
05-07-2005, 07:16 PM
naw you don't have to keep the bench, you can sleep in the burb' if you want. DVD player and magic fingers seats...the bomb!
Ohhh, I'm all over that. Now I need to decide which of kids Disney DVD's to bring.....decisions, decisions.

David Pozzi
05-07-2005, 07:56 PM
They have motorhome hookups and may have camping. They have showers and bathrooms in two places.
I couldn't find camping on their website but maybe I missed it.
http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/

MrQuick
05-07-2005, 10:26 PM
So does this mean your going David? Hummmm Lola...Camaro now theres a serious decision delema????? I think he's got you beat Den.

Salt Racer
05-09-2005, 07:10 AM
Ok sort of an update.
I called and talked to Carrie and asked about the timers, she said you will have to stop watch it...

I got a decent chunk of money coming in this week, and I'm considering investing in one of these...

http://www.plavanracing.com/ultralapindex.htm

...along with engine parts and Accusump. Maybe the car will be ready, in which case I hope they'll let me register on site.

BTW, the car is in Kerman, CA. I too am allergic to cold and wet weather and I'm suffering on daily basis.

I'd love to see David's T-70...

MrQuick
05-09-2005, 08:02 AM
Hey Katz,
I was checking out that link but could you run more than one transmitter with just 1 reciever? looks like a cool set up.
Kerman, thats not too far. Is it at a shop or friends house? When are you going to be working on it? I could lend a hand Sundays and Mondays if need be. My big project will be done soon and will have June and July free. Just working on my 3rd gen and there isn't much left to do. I maybe able to grab a couple friends too. On a side thought....who's got the best price on an Accusump??

Salt Racer
05-09-2005, 12:08 PM
Hey Katz,
I was checking out that link but could you run more than one transmitter with just 1 reciever?

I think so. It says extra transmitters can be placed along the track to get section times. That would be really nice for future product developments, but I'll just get one transmitter/receiver for now. I would like to see my lap times whlie driving.

The car is stored at my friend's repair shop. Don't know when I'll go down there yet. Probably when short block is assembled and heads are checked out. The rest of assembly and installation can be done in 1~2 day(s).

I was going to get Accusump from HRP. Not sure if they have the best price, but I need some other stuff from them too.

EDIT Canton's website shows prices on those. The 3qt. high pressure reservoir is about $20 cheaper than HRP's price. Didn't check the price on filter adapter and valve.

MrQuick
05-11-2005, 12:30 AM
Hey Katz, I can get it for a decent price at Summit but its a Moroso unit...any experience with them?
Ok I was going over the car tonight and looks like im ripping the AC system out of it. The heater core is shot, evaporater leaks and the compressor is making noise. Bye Bye.
That solve the accumulator mounting problem...she didn't want it in the interior. I think I can get the MSD and accumulator in that pocket. Now to make a filler plate.....

Salt Racer
05-12-2005, 06:55 AM
I'm pretty sure Moroso unit works just as well (no first hand experience though). But I'd stay away from those little gravity-feed units.

Salt Racer
05-12-2005, 11:20 AM
I just talked to Laura @ BRP. Accoding to her, there really is no deadline for registration so to speak. They'll accept it until all available spots are taken. She said that they normally sell out all spots a week prior to the track day.

She also said you can cancel your registration a week before the event date. I assume that means you get full refund (forgot to ask). So I'll probably send my money within next couple of weeks just in case.

MrQuick
05-12-2005, 08:08 PM
Thats great Katz, thanks for the update. She also said as soon as we get 5 of us registered we will then receive the group discount. I am lineing up my grooms men to register on the same day. I will post when we do that...maybe next week.
Remember there are only 65 spots so try to register as soon as you can.

alcino
05-17-2005, 10:47 AM
I just signed up over the phone. I don't know if I got the discount though. I said that I was with "Vince's bachelor party", and the lady said Vince who? She made me feel a little bad that I didn't know the last name of the person whos Bachelor party that I was going to. Anyway discount or not I'm there.

Alcino Azevedo

MrQuick
05-17-2005, 10:02 PM
Sorry Al, theres so many people there but i'll take care of it. We need 5 to sign the we will get the discount.You should be reinbursed. Im still waiting for my grooms man. I'll call tomorrow. Glad to see you are going! Its Vince Ortiz if anyone wants to know. thanks.

CarlC
05-26-2005, 07:38 AM
What's the confirmed headcount?

Salt Racer
05-26-2005, 11:43 AM
I'm out (meaning, I won't be driving but I'll be there).

Looks like I'll receive a set of wheels as the payment for my side job. I won't have money to fix the motor in time.

F70t/a
05-26-2005, 01:19 PM
Sucks my wagon is broke( I would kick ass on the track) :crying: Vince If i can get the day off i will try to go man!!!

MrQuick
05-27-2005, 05:04 PM
Hey guys, That sucks Katz, I was hoping to watch you spank Dennis around the track. Remember always ask for CASH! CASH CASH! I hope the rims are nice.

No hard numbers yet Carl, 3 signed up and 13 waiting. My grooms men are still lagging.
If anyone wants to go let me know or sound off here. Remember its free to watch.

dennis68
05-27-2005, 05:33 PM
That sucks Katz, I was hoping to watch you spank Dennis around the track.
Ummmm, OK. We may have to put a couple bucks (literally) on that one at a later event.

Katz...if you trust me, you have a seat reserved in the Elky.

Vince...get on your groomsman to sign up.

BTW, short of an act of God, I'm in. PHB will be on, front spindles will not.

David Pozzi
05-27-2005, 10:38 PM
I think my wife will run!
We won't have the new engine in the car so it won't be very fast but a good introduction for her to open tracking.

In a week or two I have to shift from working on Mary's 73 Camaro to working on the Lola for the Monterey Historics in Aug. I'll look into the possibility of running it at BRP a day or two ahead of the track day if possible. I need to do some carb tuning on it. I may not have it ready in time though.
Either way, I should be there in July, just Mary driving though.
David

Mean 69
05-28-2005, 07:57 AM
I'll look into the possibility of running it at BRP a day or two ahead of the track day if possible.

I'd really be interested if this is a possibility too. It's quite a drive, it'd be terrific to hear if I/we could get more than just one day on track, two, or even three would be really cool. Especially because I have a lot of tuing and sorting to do still. Lots.

Great news on the Lola, glad to hear you are going to run it. I am really, really going to try to make it to the event this year.

Mark

MrQuick
05-28-2005, 09:11 AM
That would be cool to see the Lola in action, Is this her first time out on a track? cool, I plan on going back out next year with my wife and her 4th gen. Can't wait. Im down for more track days.
I plan on doing alot of time up at Thunder hill since I will be an hour away next year. Did you guys sign up yet? Mark let me know on them tires.

David Pozzi
05-28-2005, 12:10 PM
She's done a LOT of autocross (10 Ladies class SCCA national autocross championships), but no track experience.

I"m sure they wouldn't let me run the Lola with you guys, plus long ago I did run with street cars when I ran SCCA Solo I events and it wasn't fun to be stuck behind them. I do get an interesting view of pony cars while following them. The Lola is so low, it's like following in a Go-Kart!

I'd llike to run "our" 2002 Camaro SS, but it's Mary's car, and she says NO!!!
I gotta get my 67 Camaro going! :banghead:

MrQuick
05-28-2005, 05:59 PM
Glad to hear you will be coming out with us. I remember hearing that she had autox experience. Strange , women really like the 4th gens???
Maybe next time with the Lola.

Salt Racer
06-01-2005, 05:43 AM
...Remember always ask for CASH! CASH CASH! I hope the rims are nice...

The client agreed to pay cash EDIT - I meant check, not cash. Not too many people or business will pay the amount I'm charging in cash. Actually it has to do with my immigration status. I'm not allowed to file 1099 tax form (ie, no part-time or side job). It's stupid - I'm willing to pay tax but feds won't let me. Rims will be nice - the client is a dealer of BBS and Kinesis.

Ummmm, OK. We may have to put a couple bucks (literally) on that one at a later event...

I'm up for it, but you better give me some handicap. Your Elco weighs solid 1000 lbs less than my car! I'll take up the offer for a ride. Thanks!

EDIT Happy B-day to you!

David,
Good to hear you'll be coming out. Monterey Historic and Bonneville don't overlap this year (except on 19th), so I'll be there too.

I'd really be interested if this is a possibility too. It's quite a drive, it'd be terrific to hear if I/we could get more than just one day on track, two, or even three would be really cool. Especially because I have a lot of tuing and sorting to do still. Lots...

On BRP's website, it says something like...

Open Testing Rates - Some Friday's
Annual Test Card* $75/driver
Cars - Full Day $75/driver, $75/car, plus $10 each crew member
Cars - Half Day $90 for 1 car with 1 driver after 1:00 pm

Maybe you could do this "test & tune" session on July 15th, and do the driving clinic on 16th?

Mean 69
06-01-2005, 07:00 AM
The part on there that I saw was that it seems to be limited to "fully race prep'd cars" which mine isn't, though it is pretty close. I'll have to call and see what that means. Maybe if I just take the plates off!!!

dennis68
06-01-2005, 08:11 AM
Thanks Katz, see you next month.

Salt Racer
06-01-2005, 10:23 AM
The part on there that I saw was that it seems to be limited to "fully race prep'd cars" which mine isn't, though it is pretty close. I'll have to call and see what that means. Maybe if I just take the plates off!!!

Didn't see that on BuRP website. Maybe you're talking about Willow?
Either way, I think your car can be classified as a racecar.

Mean 69
06-01-2005, 10:55 AM
I think you are right, it was Willow that had that. Maybe I should just call!?! Lazy.

It's coming up quick, can you believe it guys? This has been the fastest moving year of my life.
M

MrQuick
06-08-2005, 05:39 PM
Hi guys, ok we will be setting up pretty soon....how hany of us need rooms for Friday and Saturday night? Im going to make reservations and would like to get this going soon. Let me know please.

dennis68
06-08-2005, 07:23 PM
I'll just sleep in the truck. Heck, you guys could pay me to do parking lot security.

MrQuick
06-08-2005, 08:28 PM
my suburban is real comfy!

zbugger
06-08-2005, 08:53 PM
my suburban is real comfy!
HAH!!!! For you maybe!!! I can't sleep for an hour in that thing. I'd rather sleep under it. Not that I'm gonna.......

MrQuick
06-12-2005, 09:40 PM
Looks like we lost the last update so i'll repost what I can remember.....
The last time I spoke to Laura she said if there is more than 1 driver, the additional driver will not have to pay full price but just a $100 registration fee. Also our group is under my full name...which is Vince Ortiz if you didn't know. The date is July 16th track clinic.
Try to register soon before the spots are all taken up. Remember that spectators are free.

For lodging: I think Mark checked this weekend about camping spots availible we will have to see.
I did reserve 4 rooms at motel 6 in Buttonwillow so let me know if you are interested in one of them. They go for $44 a night and there is plenty of room for trailers...Dennis will be chained to mine for security, so theft should not be a problem.... I won't feed him a couple days before so he should be visious.

MrQuick
06-13-2005, 02:56 PM
latest head count is 4 signed up and 15 sitting on the fence....sign up soon guys.You too Mark, your not missing this one.

Mean 69
06-13-2005, 07:46 PM
I didn't make it to the event last weekend (NASA) due to a bonehead move. BUT!!!!! I did stay in a Holiday INN last night (which I am sure further substantiates the bonehead comment?). I should have been a brain surgeon.

Word to the wise: check availability BEFORE you are about to leave for an event.

Signed,
Idiot

MrQuick
06-13-2005, 08:03 PM
Thats too bad, oh well we all make mistakes right? Atleast you didn't go all the way up and find out. DOHH! Register soon! We need pictures of the car soon too.

Salt Racer
06-17-2005, 06:26 AM
Just wondering. Do they have rental karts at BRP? They have a nice kart track. If they have some karts available, us spectators can get on some wheel-to-wheel racing action.

Q ship
06-17-2005, 09:01 PM
Just wondering. Do they have rental karts at BRP? They have a nice kart track. If they have some karts available, us spectators can get on some wheel-to-wheel racing action.
Outstanding thought!! You are getting the racer mentality aren't you? "Any vehicle, any time". That's one of the things that makes Boris Said my hero, he lives to race.

Anyways, I'm in. (http://www.sunstatekartsports.com/prices.htm) We need to get a few more interested, the prices really drop with more karts.

C'mon guys, this is racing on the cheap!!

MrQuick
06-17-2005, 10:17 PM
I'd do both but wonder if my ribs would be up to it?

zbugger
06-17-2005, 10:46 PM
I'd do both but wonder if my ribs would be up to it?
Depends on who does the barbecue.

Matt@RFR
06-18-2005, 05:24 AM
Depends on who does the barbecue.

Wacka wacka wacka!!!!!!!!!

Salt Racer
06-21-2005, 06:33 AM
...You are getting the racer mentality aren't you? "Any vehicle, any time"...

Yes, big time. I've been going to sunday night GP at local indoor kart track every week (collected two trophies so far), and also seriously thought about selling the Buick and get into Spec Miata.

I'll start a spin-off thread later and see how many people want to race.

Mean 69
06-21-2005, 08:36 AM
I'm signed up. I signed up for the event last Sunday, but ran into issues that prevented me from going. This is going to be one heck of a good time, I am really looking forward to not only a bunch of track time, but hanging out with all of you guys. It'll be a great time.

By the way, the BBQ rib thing was very, very funny.
M

P.S. Katz, there is now a nice little Formula Ford Lola sitting in my shop.... I am baby-sitting it, but the guy who bought it won't fit in it. Uh-oh, new toy time?

MrQuick
06-21-2005, 09:26 AM
Well cough it up Mark...did you get up there atleast?
If so, how was the show? Worth the money? I can't wait either. Go the goods and they are mounted. Let me know $$$

Mean 69
06-21-2005, 10:16 AM
No, I bailed on the event. I have been working really hard on the new project, and when I jumped back into the 69 to do some last minute jetting, I noticed something I do not like with the brakes. I am getting significant pad kickback going around turns in the car, due to the fixed calipers, crappy stock Camaro hubs/bearings, and large rotors. I isolated this after ripping through a turn during the test run from the jetting deal, pedal went WAY down and scared the poop out of me. As the hubs/bearing flex, the rotor pushes the brake pistons back into the caliper(s), and creates a situation where you need to pump the brakes a couple times. Pretty common I guess, but I think I can improve it significantly with better hubs and larger bearings. Between that, and a sore back due to the mini-tub job I'm doing on the '70, well, I decided that sitting in the yard with a twelve pack was more appealing. I am getting old I guess.

By the way, the 69 really seems to hook really hard out of turns, it feels pretty darned impressive so far. Still dealing with the last teething issues, but it is running pretty well these days.

Mark

Salt Racer
06-21-2005, 11:25 AM
..P.S. Katz, there is now a nice little Formula Ford Lola sitting in my shop.... I am baby-sitting it, but the guy who bought it won't fit in it. Uh-oh, new toy time?

Yeah, you sent me a pic. I forgot about that - been pretty busy lately. Maybe you can offer him to dial in the chassis and take it out to the track? :idea: Probably a bad idea, huh? (especially when I get involved <evil grin>)

Now are you sure the front calipers are getting knock back? How about the preload on rear hub bearings? Also slider pins on rear clipers? Pads could knock back even with floating calipers if they don't slide on pins smoothly.

Mine was knocking back on rear (fixed) calipers. I haven't had a chance to physically check this, but I came to this conclusion based on the following observations.

- At Streets of Willow, the only place I experienced knock back was right before entering the bowl. The car was understeering badly due to lack of rear sta bar (ie, severe loading on front tires).

- At BuRP, I was getting mild knockback pretty much after every corner. The car was neutral steer with addition of sta bar and 70-lb diet on the nose (much less loading on front, more on rear tires). I know front hub bearings were tight b/c I tightened them the day before the event (on road side).

The axle is a semi-floater like Phord 9", but there's very slight bearing slop and axle flange is thin and flimsy (I need to get new axles). Front spindle pin isn't much bigger than Camaro spindle. I'm hoping thicker axle flange on new axles and 2 lbs pressure valve will solve my problem.

CarlC
06-21-2005, 11:39 AM
I'm in.

How about a current headcount:

Vince
David
Mark
Dennis
Brian
Yody
Alcino
Steve
Orng

Who else?

Mean 69
06-21-2005, 12:12 PM
I am almost certain that it is the front, and here is why. During the aforementioned test drive, I also pulled a little of the bias out of the rear (prop. valve), I think I really noticed it partially as a result of this. Also, I am running a stock car rear, full floaters, and HUGE hubs and bearings, I think it is a Grand national bearing stack. The rear calipers are floaters (PBR single pot's), and the rotor diameter is 12". Everything seems to be pointing towards the front. I will say though, the car is stopping pretty darned well with a firm pedal, once the pads get a little temp in them. Seems to be braking nice straight and true, but that is only from moderate speeds. If I can reduce the deflection up front, I am pretty sure things will be awesome. Might be time for new hubs. Great, another thing to tackle!

I just got an e-mail from Laura at BuRP, she said a 68 just registered, that must be you, Carl!
M

zbugger
06-21-2005, 12:19 PM
Who else?

I'll be there. Not sure if I'll be driving though. We'll have to see about that.

MrQuick
06-21-2005, 01:16 PM
Add these guys.
Brian Jablonski 04 Z06
Troy 03 Z06
Ron Tomm 96 Mustang GT
Mike B Toyota SR5 Formula D
Ryan " "
Lyle Mini Cooper
Richard S Impala SS
Me 84 Camaro Z28 CMC prep
Robert M 87 Buick Turbo GN
Pascual T. 04 SRT 4
Charley L. 69 Camaro?
Jody B. 69 Camaro?...if I list hopfully they will come out?
6 still sitting on the wall....

CarlC
06-21-2005, 03:50 PM
I just got an e-mail from Laura at BuRP, she said a 68 just registered, that must be you, Carl!
M

That would be me!

If you're looking for a bigger hub with a larger bearing it's going to be hard. The taper sets in those bore sizes do not lend themselves well to super-sizing the O.D. Perhaps an ATS spindle could be adapted to a nice Wide 5 setup.

Still bringing the BBQ?

If you are coming up I-5 through L.A. perhaps we can caravan. I'm one mile from the 5/134 interchange. I'm also a bachelor that week so I can make all the garage noise my neighbors can stand.

This is looking like it will be a great day! My dollar bills are all lined up.....

Mean 69
06-21-2005, 03:57 PM
I will be bring the BBQ, might need to bring a couple of them seeing the guest list now!!! I found out that there is an open track test on the Friday beforehand, $175 for the full day, one car, one driver, or $100 for half day 1:00 to 5:00 PM. I actually might go to that too, I expected to have, well, more than one event on the car so far so this could help shake things down. Might want to pencil that in. Anyway, I have a big ole pickup and am going to trailer the car, so I can fit bunch o' stuff in the truck. Er, I think I just volunteered to be the roach coach?

Woo hoo baby!!!!
M

Good point(s) on the spindle/hub, the ATS unit looks promising and I can't wait to see it. Won't be in time for this event, so left foot braking, here I come!

This is looking like it will be a great day! My dollar bills are all lined up.....

That's a good darned point, what exactly are we going to do about the, uh, "entertainment" aspect? PG13, or rated XXX?

Salt Racer
06-21-2005, 03:59 PM
...Also, I am running a stock car rear, full floaters, and HUGE hubs and bearings, I think it is a Grand national bearing stack...

Yup, hence my comment on rear hub bearing preload. When I ran aftermarket front hubs on my Nova, the bearing got loose after 100 miles or so. Apparently the bearing races weren't fully pressed into the hubs, and they got seated after the car got driven. This could have very well been just a fluke, but wouldn't hurt to check it.

...Who else?...

I'll be there. I'll drive karts in the morning while you guys are driving around with instructors, and will be available as crew/mechanic/ballast in the afternoon.

sinned
06-21-2005, 04:25 PM
and will be available as a blah, blah, ballast in the afternoon.LOL

Matt@RFR
06-21-2005, 04:56 PM
I'm coming and bringing my Dad too...We won't be driving though, just eating Mark's food. :)

Orngcrush69
06-21-2005, 05:06 PM
Good for you Salt Racer! Those 'lil thing look like fun and you'll be out in that summer heat with us!

sinned
06-21-2005, 05:40 PM
Good for you Salt Racer! Those 'lil thing look like fun and you'll be out in that summer heat with us!
Does that mean you'll be out there too? Finally some more "A" bodies to show the Camaro boys a thing or two.

zbugger
06-21-2005, 05:44 PM
Hey Dennis, have you learned how to drive your car yet?

Salt Racer
06-21-2005, 05:53 PM

Heck yeah! I don't think I can stand being a spectator for all day long. Gotta drive something.

Here's the thread I just started. Anyone who's planning to show up is welcome to participate.

BuRP kart GP - Bachelor party cup (https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8077)

CarlC
06-21-2005, 06:12 PM
Does that mean you'll be out there too? Finally some more "A" bodies to show the Camaro boys a thing or two.

Them's fightin' words! :cheers:

Mark,

I might tag along. I'll know better when the time gets closer. Likely won't run that day but if I go I'll be happy to wrench.

yody
06-21-2005, 06:24 PM
no dennis is still dealing with too much oversteer from his skinny front swaybar....wait till the panhard actually gets "bolted" in!!

Orngcrush69
06-21-2005, 07:09 PM
Of course I'll be there! That's like my home track! Davezz28 keeps working on the suspension and the car just keeps getting better! In fact pencil in "canyon camaro"('68 camaro), 'cause Dave should be done with all the suspension work on that one too for it's first run!

Q ship
06-21-2005, 07:30 PM
6 still sitting on the wall....
I'm coming out but not driving, decided not to bring a knife to a gunfight! Besides, the daily driver has 174,000 miles on it-I do have a little(very little) common sense. I'll be at the kart track in the morning, then taking pics afterwards.

Orngcrush69
06-21-2005, 07:38 PM
Q, you take some great shots, how do I get my hands on them?

sinned
06-21-2005, 08:17 PM
wait till the panhard actually gets "bolted" in!!It's in...it sticks...end of story.

Hey, one of you spectators taking action shots would be awesome. I'm doing the in-car cam but that doesn't help much for the "how far off the apex was I" shot.

Q ship
06-21-2005, 08:56 PM
Q, you take some great shots, how do I get my hands on them?
Er, uh, well like a dumbass I didn't get any pics of your car on track in April-I'll make up for it this time!

<removed pics> if you'd like the hi res version I can email them-just PM me with your address.

yody
06-21-2005, 09:01 PM
Dennis, why not update us on the PHB? we are all eager to see the results! Please enlighten us! hey orange guy i had those same wheels on my bird, but they wouldn't clear my C5 brakes. Still kinda miss them!

David Pozzi
06-24-2005, 10:26 PM
I guess we won't make the event.
I decided to install a new engine in Mary's camaro and we will finally drop it in this weekend. I ran into extra things to do so it's delayed us.

The biggest problem is, my entry has been accepted to the Monterey Historics Aug 12-14, plus I entered the "Pre-Historics" the weekend before. I have a lot of work to do on the lola to get it ready so whatever state the Camaro is in by this sunday night is the way it's going to be for while, - running or not. Hopefully it will be running, but with some small things to tidy up which Mary can do by herself while I'm working on the Lola.

Have fun at the track!
David

MrQuick
06-25-2005, 08:10 AM
Dohhhh, oh well next time i suppose, have a great time at the historix. See you in Vegas?

Salt Racer
06-25-2005, 04:27 PM
Bummer.

I thought Monterey Historics will be Aug. 19-21 this year?

David Pozzi
06-25-2005, 06:52 PM
Yes, I made a mistake on the Historics date, it's Aug 19/21, the Pre-Historics is Aug 6/7 with two weeks between the events. This is the first time they have had two weeks between events and it's got me confused!

I'm really excited to be in this event Jim Hall was my Hero! :)
http://www.laguna-seca.com/Events/index.cfm?EventID=8
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

MrQuick
06-25-2005, 07:17 PM
Does this mean you and Mary are coming out with us???

MrQuick
07-02-2005, 04:46 PM
Is everyone ready? Its been quiet here lately. My cars is just about done, rear end is built and hangin, suspension is back on, engine and brakes are still apart. Hope to be ready by next week... :headbang: then I gotta work on the trailer... :pat:

David Pozzi
07-03-2005, 09:55 AM
The good news is, we got Mary's car running last night, even took it for a ride! :)
The engine has loads of torque, very nice, and the Richmond five speed has a very close gear ratio spread.

The bad news is, there are a lot of little things left to do, plus we don't want to track flog the engine with so fiew miles on it. PLUS I am now really stapped for time, I need to work on the Lola.
Have a great time at the track!
David

Mean 69
07-03-2005, 10:46 AM
I am good, I still have not sorted out the front brake pad kickback issue, and this may be something I can't fix before the event. Nothing a little extra foot pumping won't fix, but it is distracting. I am registered, and ready to go. I will likely go the day before, there is "open" testing on that day, so sorting the car out a bit to find any other gotcha's is something I'd really like to do.

Mark

David Pozzi
07-03-2005, 12:23 PM
Mark,
Try a low pressure residual pressure valve on it, a 2 psi for starters. If there is rotor or caliper flex, the pistons can knock back but if you have enough residual pressure the pistons from the other side will push out instead of pushing fluid back to the master cyl. This assumes you have four piston calipers. If you have full floaters, it would probably still help and I don't think 2 psi would cause drag problems.

Mean 69
07-03-2005, 01:16 PM
Thanks David, I am planning on trying that, but I really doubt it will do a whole lot, not sure, but I am certain the root cause is excessive hub flex/bearing issues, that'll probably need a new hub setup to improve. The calipers are six pot fixed Alcon's, and I am running Coleman rotors (13" x 1.25") on a Wilwood hat.

I'll just need to get used to pumping the brakes after any hard turns, which, at Buttonwillow, means I'll be doing this a lot!

BTW, I plan on making the vintage event this year, finally. I really look forward to seeing your car, I have a couple other friends that will have their cars there too. Should be a great time!

Mark

David Pozzi
07-03-2005, 09:46 PM
Mark,
A year or so ago I exchanged Emails with a guy who had the same problem. He was using NASCAR rubber and those tires are very tall (28/29") and we both figured they exerted a lot of leverage over the stock spindles. The larger rotor dia also increases the potential for knockback. I forget what rear axle you have but if there is any rear axle end play, that causes trouble too.
David

Mean 69
07-04-2005, 08:59 AM
Yep, I am not surprised. I run a floater 9" rear, and I am pretty sure that end of the car is okay (floating PBR calipers). It seemed to get a bit worse when I dialed a bit of the bias out of the rear with the prop valve, so I am pretty certain I have it isolated. The stock hubs and bearing pack leaves a lot to be desired, to say the least. I have two options that I am going to try, one in hand, and one potential that'll show in a few months.

Stoptech has a cool white paper in their tech section that talks about this, no easy solutions per them as well. But hey, even Boris Said pumps the brake pedal a couple times, I saw his footwork duing the Sears point race.

Ain't hot-rodding fun!?
M

CarlC
07-07-2005, 04:18 PM
Barring unforseen events such as typhoons and raising of the dead, I'll be there.

MrQuick
07-08-2005, 12:20 AM
Ahhh nice try that Carl, its rain or shine and I have a zombie grill guard you can borrow! LOL My cars almost done....eeeek

KrisHorton
07-09-2005, 10:01 PM
Just cracked open my piggy bank. Looks like me, my dad, my Mustang, and the Chevelle will be there too. Provided the Chevelle survives a hard day of dyno-tuning the day before! :jump:

I'm wicked psyched to go. Should be fun!

Kris

yody
07-09-2005, 10:21 PM
I'll be there with vince and our mascot the dirty little zbugger

Mean 69
07-10-2005, 10:48 AM
We should try to get a good estimate of who will actually make it there, I plan on bringing burgers and the grill, etc. I have one of those little smokey joe grills, I think I'll buy a bigger one because it looks like there are too many mouths to feed for the little guy.

Also, what's the roll call for staying at the track, Friday night, Saturday night?

M

sinned
07-10-2005, 11:00 AM
I'll be there Friday night, probably not until around 9:00. Save me a burger.

Matt@RFR
07-10-2005, 11:05 AM
I'll be there with Dad (Mike) in tow, and possibly another friend. We'll be driving down Friday, staying in a hotel Friday and Saturday nights, then driving back Sunday.

zbugger
07-10-2005, 02:31 PM
I'll be driving down with Vince and staying on the roof of the hotel, at least. I don't know.

CarlC
07-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Do they allow overnight camping at the track? I might be up for that.

MrQuick
07-11-2005, 01:32 AM
I reserved the rooms for friday till Sunday check out time.
Carl, I will ask tomorrow. Is there anything eles I should ask?
Mark shoot me a PM i'll break out the big cooler and hamburgers. Free ice at the hotel!
Dennis you want to meet up in Los Banos? we can caravan from there. We are not leaving the shop till after 7pm.

KrisHorton
07-11-2005, 08:25 AM
Damn, class is full, but the lady I spoke with was kind enough to add us to a waiting list and said she would try to get the class expanded. I'm really crossing my fingers that it'll work out!

Kris

MrQuick
07-11-2005, 09:21 AM
Yeah it should be no problem, looks like they filled up on Friday afternoon.... She said if you show up and if there are canellations you can get in. Happens alot. Usually know be friday.

CarlC
07-11-2005, 09:45 AM
With the weather forecast for next week I'll bet people will be dropping out, especially if they have not paid.

Maybe that's a good barometer, ask how many people have not paid.

MrQuick
07-11-2005, 10:09 AM
Shake & bake time it is! LOL
Ok update. I just spoke to Laura and thanks to Dennis's charm she will be taking everyone from our group. So please let them know you are with us.
Overnight camping is not availible this weekend but you can drop off your truck & trailer friday night. the gate gets locked at 6pm and hounds of hell are released.
There are several open beds at Motel 6 so let us know if you need room and we will make it....bring your sleeping bags.

MrQuick
07-11-2005, 10:15 AM
Kris, clear you PM box please? Your in, just call Laura up and she will get your info. Vince

KrisHorton
07-11-2005, 10:34 AM
Hey Vince, sorry! Didn't realize it was full...

Thanks a million for clearing that up. I'm faxing her my info this afternoon and I'll follow up with a phonecall. Thanks again!

Kris

alcino
07-11-2005, 11:58 AM
Looks like a good showing of members may occur. I'm getting excited!

Just got to do an oil change and some other minor things.

Are the instructors going to drive our cars? Mine is not easy with its super stiff clutch and no power steering.

Alcino

CarlC
07-11-2005, 12:05 PM
I have not make room reservations yet. Is there a spare bed around before I make a phone call?

Q ship
07-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Hey Al, nice to see ya here again!

Carl, I pm'd you.

yody
07-11-2005, 12:28 PM
i think there is one room left, get in contact with vince

KrisHorton
07-11-2005, 01:39 PM
Just spoke with Laura at Buttonwillow and registered me and my dad. She was very helpful and I thought it was awesome to get a chance to participate. Thanks again to Vince for the invite!

Kris

Mean 69
07-11-2005, 02:06 PM
Overnight camping is not availible this weekend but you can drop off your truck & trailer friday night. the gate gets locked at 6pm and hounds of hell are released.

Wow, thanks for looking into. I had just ass-umed this would not be an issue. I am trailering my car, so it will be staying at the track Friday and Saturday night.

Out of courtesy, I think I'll be booking my own room. I have been told by my sweet wife that I, uh, "snore." I personally think she is hearing things....
M

zbugger
07-11-2005, 11:22 PM
Mark, I know I'm used to it. My older sister snores, and it keeps her husband from staying in the same room. Doesn't bother me. My dad still has a tendency to shake the house at times.

David Pozzi
07-12-2005, 05:50 PM
Guys,
Have a great time, I wish I could be there with you! :(

At least we now have a running car, but it only has 60 miles on a brand-new engine. We have an 8qt pan, PS cooler, and aluminum radiator. I really like the close gear spacing of the Richmond 5 speed with 3.08 gears.

Hopefully we can do another one of these this fall! :drive:

MrQuick
07-12-2005, 09:32 PM
Looks good David, would have loved to see you guys out with us.

Hopefully we can do another one of these this fall!
Oh I plan on it, by the looks of the turn out (11 can't show or not readys) we might have enough to rent the track next time. Secure the Road coarse Drag Strip and skid pad for a Sunday.
Have fun at the histo- and see you at SEMA!

Mean 69
07-14-2005, 02:59 PM
Okay gent's,

I just made a quickie call to the track. There are garages for rent, $50 per day. I put my name down for one, but she basically said it is not an issue. Not sure how big they are, but if they are the same as Cal Speedway, you can usually get two cars in per slot. And there's shade! Anyway, if you're interested....

Also checked on race gas. The pumps are basically always open, so this isn't an issue. Plan on something like $5 or more for a gallon.

Packing up the car and trailer in a few minutes, I know Katz is on the road as well. Not like it comes as a surprise, it's going to be hot. I reserved a room at the Motel 6, they assured me that they'd leave the light on for me.

M

CarlC
07-14-2005, 07:06 PM
Mean,

I'm packing as well.

Do you still want to caravan? Call me on my cell phone anytime. I'm bacheloring it this week.

If you do want to caravan, I'll head to the track with you to lend a hand. I'd also be more than happy to let my car have a one-night-stand with yours.

sinned
07-15-2005, 08:27 AM
I wanted say it again....drink water!!!! There is a heat advisory for Buttonwillow for this weekend. They expect temps to reach 110*.

See you guys later tonight.

jeffandre
07-15-2005, 08:56 AM
Hope you everyone has a blast! Vince is fun to hang around with, and it is probably better when running cars are involved...Wish I could be there!

Bill Howell
07-15-2005, 10:00 AM
You guys, have a great weekend, drink plenty of water, and above all, be safe.
A picture or two in your spare time would be nice too!

Steve1968LS2
07-15-2005, 09:29 PM
Man, I am SO TORN..

I want to go so badly.. My 68 won't make it but Kris offered a car share on his 05.. BUT we now have relatives coming in tomorrow and I have a can't miss appointment for tomorrow night..

My wife, being the doll she is, says she will enterain her family and that I can go.. I just feel bad doing it..

But it is racing and I have new nomex Sparco gloves.. and my helmet is waxed..

damn.. why does everything happen on the same f'ing day???? So should I drive 100 miles and hang out for 4-5 hours then drive 100 miles back to see the fam a bit then head to my appointment???

Decisions..

68protouring454
07-16-2005, 02:13 AM
its only an hr and a half right, do both, go drive then come home and hang with the fam, it would be worth it
jake

Steve1968LS2
07-16-2005, 07:34 AM
its only an hr and a half right, do both, go drive then come home and hang with the fam, it would be worth it
jake

Actually I mapquested it and its 160 miles.. damn, I thought it was closer..

Anyways, even though my wife said it was cool I felt bad leaving it all to her, plus the fact I was at good guys all last weekend..

Hope ya all had fun.. and remembered to take that picture!!

Watch.. next Saturday there will be NOTHING going on..

KrisHorton
07-17-2005, 02:33 PM
WOW! That was a lot of fun. It was great meeting everyone.

Long story short (well, not really,) our Chevelle had to sit out thanks to a ruined alternator belt. When we got to Buttonwillow on Friday night, we took the Chevelle out to burn off the grease in the pipes from having the new custom exhaust put on. A few minutes into the drive, I got it going pretty fast on a sort of farm road near the motel 6 and me and my dad both heard a slight pop and the lights all dimmed. Sure enough, the belt was gone.

A big thanks to Dennis (dennis68) for doing everything he did trying to help get the Chevelle back up and running. He really went out of his way and even took the belt off of his car to see if it might be a fit. It was all a matter of adjustment and we just couldn't get the belt tight with the ProCharger brackets.

We took the Chevelle through tech at the track and my dad skipped the classroom session so he could go look for a belt that would work out, no dice. So the Chevelle just sat there all dad. Turned heads, sure, but it was a real bummer we didn't get it on the track. Two of the instructors even asked me if they were gonna get to see it hit the track. Fortunately I was at least able to go out and have some fun and learn a lot with my Mustang.

When we got back to the motel, my dad and I backtracked the road we lost the belt on and actually found the belt. So we asked Allen and some of the other folks (I can't remember their names, I think my brain is still overheated...) if they'd pick up a new one when they went into Bakersfield on a parts run. They found one and we figured all was well. When we put the new belt on this morning, everything seemed okay, but the second we got it out on that same stretch of road, it'd tossed the belt on the first pull. Got some good video of it though! We had to call the guys back at the motel to bring us our car and trailer, so, Allen, Vince, and Cody came and saved the day, despite coating us, the cars, and the trailers in a nice thick layer of dust.

That's the slightly abridged version, but all in all, we had a great time. We hope to have another chance to get the Chevelle on the track at the Dec. clinic, unless there is something sooner. Every person from our group that was there was fantastic. It was great meeting Dennis, Mark, Carl, Katz, Matt's dad, Brian, and all the other folks and it was good seeing Allen, Cody, Vince, and Matt again.

Kris

yody
07-17-2005, 03:08 PM
I just got back. I had fun too. It was 113 degrees on the track!! Unfortunately I didn't get too race because my car isn't quite finished, and i didn't want to chance blowing up my daily driver; a 87 300ZX turbo. IT was kinda boring watching everyone else drive but it was cool hanging out with Matt(RFR), his dad, Katz(saltracer), Allen(annoying), and all the other guys who didn't race. I met CarlC, Katz, Mean69(again), Dennis68,Orangecrush, and some other guys I am probably forgeting. Everyone did pretty good, Dennis68 spun out pretty good and got a face full of dirt!(you should get rid of the those poly bushings!) Kris's car couldn't run because of the belt thing, another guy with a minicoooper blew his supercharger belt off and had to get towed, and Mean69's axle seal leaked just enough to keep him off of the track mid-day. Other than that eveyrones cars did pretty good. We had a couple of non-site guys with Z06's out there that were doing pretty good, along with CarlC and Mean69 that were just plain ripping up the track in their first gens. Vince could only get his car up to 85mph(or at least thats what the speedo said :) ..... :smoke: and Zbragger got enough nut-juggling in to last him for at least a week. I can't wait until the next track day! I guarantee the firebird will be there!!(not promising any special driving though :eek: ) Here are some pics I took;
Mean69's 3 link rear, 69 camaro
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif (http://www.imageshack.us)
CarlC passing up someone;
Dennis68's multipurpose dumptruck;

MrQuick
07-17-2005, 04:40 PM
What a blast, thanks to everyone for coming out and having fun with us. We WILL do this again. I will talk to Les about renting the track for a Sunday and run the road course, drag strip, skid pad and set up a slalome course. I will make sure everyone will have plenty of time to get the cars ready before hand so be ready. I wanna do another clinic before I get out for real.
Thanks again and it was great meeting everyone this weekend.
Steve, you missed out, what a great time. I do have some pictures for you. Might want to photochop some clothes on a few! LOL

If anyone has pictures of our cars on the track please let me know. Im going to put up a page on my site.

alcino
07-18-2005, 10:02 AM
I think the track day just for us is a great idea. I feel these are great events to meet cool people and test/compare vehicles. Maybe it can be a P-T.com event with some sponsors and prizes. I think that would help motivate people to finish there cars and actually show up.

I wish the school whould have let us take passengers. Sure were a lot of folks who came great distances to just roast under the sun buring their retinas watching us play. I even brought an extra helmet so I could give joy rides. I wanted someone to experience my cars new braking capabilites. It was amazing with my new compound pads that Katz recommended(somthing 01).

Anyway nice meeting everone, thanks for giving me a bed to sleep on (Allen/Ron/Pascual(sp?)), thanks for organizing the event and congrats on your future marriage (Vince).

Alcino
one of the few to PT in a FORD

MrQuick
07-18-2005, 10:32 AM
Hey Alcino,Thanks. it was great meeting you finally. Thanks for coming out.
I agree, I wish we had the ok for passengers but since it wasn't a sanctioned event the insurance would not have allowed it. The next time will be different I hope.
The whole thing went very smooth.