PDA

View Full Version : Best coating,wrap etc.. for shielding heat?

toofun
08-23-2004, 09:00 PM
Hello,
I am in the process of making a custom cowl Induction intake and want to protect the bottom against engine heat. I obviously want to make it as cool as possible so what should I cover the bottom of it with? Should I use the same material they wrap headers with? or the starters with? Is there a spray on or paint on product that will sheild it from heat? It will be made out of aluminum and will totally seal the filter element to the cowl hood so that only fresh cool air will come in. I want to keep it that way so figure if I can sheild the bottom of the pan from the engine heat right below it, it will help keep the pan cool and the cold air charge. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Mark

Rick Dorion
08-24-2004, 04:04 AM
I've used thermo-tec stuff which you can get from Summit/Jeg's. They have different products for tubes, etc. One product comes in sheets and has an adhesive backing. I use it under my car on my floors where the exhaust passes very close.

KWIKND
08-24-2004, 02:55 PM
I am currently having my 69 A body done by Strange Motion and Tim over there recomended "Lizard Skin" spray on coating. It is designed to be a sound deadener and thermal insulation both. It is some kind of ceramic. Have not seen it yet on my car but Tim builds some nice stuff and he said its the way to go.
Good Luck
Dan

68LSS1
08-24-2004, 08:03 PM
I am currently having my 69 A body done by Strange Motion and Tim over there recomended "Lizard Skin" spray on coating. It is designed to be a sound deadener and thermal insulation both. It is some kind of ceramic. Have not seen it yet on my car but Tim builds some nice stuff and he said its the way to go.
Good Luck
Dan

Any more info on this stuff? I did a google but couldn't find it.

KWIKND
08-25-2004, 04:10 AM
Their phone number is 877-278-9468. I think they used to go by Cool Car.
www.coollizard.com/
Dan

Buryingthesun
03-29-2015, 03:07 AM
Gold foil

NASA uses it (shrugs shoulders)

j-c-c
07-21-2015, 07:18 PM
Gold foil

NASA uses it (shrugs shoulders)

All my cars that operate in a vacuum with solar wind use gold foil for heat rejection.

Seriously, gold is considered one of the best reflectors for IR heat, but that is only one source. Some of the gold foil lookalikes proclaim similar performance, but I don't know for certain.

shortrack
07-22-2015, 05:11 AM
I use DEI/Boom Mat floor and tunnel shield. Im happy with it although its the only stuff Ive used. I will warn you it is super sticky so be sure before you stick it down.

http://www.designengineering.com/category/catalog/boom-mat-acoustical-products/floor-tunnel-shield-ii-heat-sound-insulation

JustJohn
07-22-2015, 07:04 AM
This:
http://www.pacorinc.com/standard-length-aerogel-insulation?gclid=Cj0KEQjw_rytBRDVhZeQrbzn_q0BEiQAj nbSHGrDY7W9tE4SOSmJi-O9FSGx3Vtk5HPzyhi1AZrNBw4aAjT68P8HAQ
just about the best thing going if it will work for your application.