PDA

View Full Version : Help Removing Windshield Trim

Eric67
06-25-2009, 08:48 AM
Dumb Question....

What is the proper technique to use the trim removal tool? I've got the tool, but don't want to go jabbing into the trim without knowing what I'm doing.

I tried searching for some ideas, but nothing came up.

Thanks a lot! Man, this place has been really helpful in the (Really) slow restoration of my car.

It's a 1967 Camaro.

Topless69
06-25-2009, 03:38 PM
Sorry Eric I know you thought this was a reply but I am very interested in this also, I'll be following this thread. please don;t forget to let us know how hard/easy this was once you get some replies.

Help us out guys......PLEASE.
Jeoff J.

Tucks69
06-25-2009, 04:05 PM
The 2 piece's at the base of the windshield has retaining screws under the cowl panel and the door jamb I believe. The other 3 pieces require the tool you are talking about. The tool I have has a point and is rounded on one side, You just slide it between the glass and trim. The point goes between the clip and a pillar. The round shape acts like a cam. the tool pulls the clip away from the lip on the trim piece. This allows the trim to be removed. Go slow, it doesn't take much tension to relieve the clip. I am off tommorrow, I will make a picture and post it nobody else has one.

Tucks69
06-26-2009, 08:06 AM
I attached some pics. Maybe this will help.

derekf
06-26-2009, 09:26 AM
The picture is really helpful.

Basically, start at one end and stick the hook in and slide it down. When you catch the edge of a clip, move the handle so that the hook pulls the clip away from the pillar. Lift the trim enough to disengage it from the clip and move on to the next clip.

Before you start, take a look at how the trim is laid out; obviously some bits are meant to be on top of other bits.. the topmost trim needs to be taken off first.

Eric67
06-26-2009, 04:01 PM
AAAAAAAHHHhhhhhhh......

Thanks a LOT! This oughta be a snap now.
Yes, the pictures really are worth a thousand words.

Eric67
06-26-2009, 06:41 PM
Yep, it works great, thanks a lot for your help. It took a couple tries but once you get a feel for it, you can knock out all the trim in a few minutes.