PDA

View Full Version : Bonding Fiberglass to steel?????????????????

Restomod
06-25-2009, 07:17 AM
What would you recomend for bonding fiberglass body panels to steel ??
I have been looking at stuff like Fusor 147 or 3M 8115 and several others. Is there an ideal/reliable product or just compromise??
Thanks in advance for any tips/help!!!!

XLexusTech
06-25-2009, 07:58 AM
Duramix

dhutton
06-25-2009, 08:31 AM
I used 3M 8115 with good results so far.

jackfrost
06-25-2009, 09:56 AM
since the expansion rates of the materials are different, at some point the seam WILL crack. the better adhesives last longer, but eventually crack as well.

Restomod
06-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks guys. I have been reading up, the Duramix 4050 looks good and I just saw a SEM product that also seems like it will work. I guess its a pick one and do it thing.

LateNight72
06-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Fusor 116/117 if you're bonding to bare metal (preferred).

I prefer the Lord Fusor stuff.

redfire69
06-25-2009, 11:55 AM
where can you get this stuff from?

Motown 454
06-25-2009, 12:52 PM
In the 70's I had two cars with fibeglass scoops bonded to steel hoods and never had a problem., and I beat the snot out of both of them.

dhutton
06-25-2009, 01:15 PM
where can you get this stuff from?

I bought the 3M 8115 from autobodytoolmart.com

They also sell a lower cost gun.

gearheads78
06-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Never tried it but a very good old school body man once told me Marinetex is the only thing he ever found that would not crack in the long run. This was 15 years ago so there may be some better stuff now.

Restomod
06-26-2009, 03:37 AM
Marinetex is tough and will stick almost anything. Thanks for the info guys gonns do some reading up.

Tucks69
06-26-2009, 03:57 AM
I used Sheet Moulding Compund on 2 hoods 5-7 years ago. They haven' cracked yet. I bonded a cowl scoop to the hood on my 68 in my avitar.

STAGE2PAT
06-26-2009, 07:22 AM
What type of bond are you looking for ? Cosmetic seam or a Noncosmetic ? Will the bonded area be in view like a Quarter panel seam ? Will it be strickly for adhesion like bonding a spoiler on ?

A cosmetic seam which will be sanded , smoothed and painted overI would reccomend using old school fiberglass matting and resin for best results.

Areas which will be only for adhesion like wheelhouses ,pinchwelds
and other hidden bonds would benefit from 3M or duramix .
These products offer benefits but are not the best choice for long term cosmetic seam repairs. Ghost lines are of a concern .

HTH

Restomod
06-26-2009, 03:50 PM
Actually it will have both cosmetic and structural. I am thinking I will used the Duramix and then Cabosil/Epoxy mix to fill and finish with Rage.

MonzaRacer
07-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Well when I cut my Monte hood for a fiberglass cowl I used good old fashion fiberglass resin jelly,made a paint stick that I contoured so I had a good seam at scoop,, the scoop got fitted under the steel betwen the inner frame and skin, also modded some of the cut out bracing and rewelded for strength, till I wrecked it the hood looked almost as good as a metal hood(scoop has ridge ,hood didint) but was inpressed with that basic product for years, well actualy almost 2 decades, bought a 90 Grand Am wrecked, the little horn over turn signal was bent in, didnt want to repalce fender, so I just built it up out ofsame stuff, sanded and shaped and last timeI saw car it saw still there and paint hadnt even cracked, of course rest of car was trashed and that littl ecorner was like an 1" thick or better. May use it again when I get Caprice and put that same old cowl on hood!

vsefiream
07-02-2009, 06:26 AM
Ok guys, I am planning on putting full fiberglass quarters on my '78 Trans AM. After reading this thread I am still unsure of the best way to attach them. I will be cutting out the old quarters and fabricating a lip (lap type) to secure the quarters to. Should I use the glue type products to secure them then use fiberglass resin to finish blending them to the body. Or... should I just use resin to secure and finish them. I am concerned as the loads on the quarters will be more than those on a hood or spoiler. BTW the car will have DSE subframe conectors and an old school Hooker bolt in rool bar so there won't be a whole lot of internal support.
Here's the quarters in question:https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/07/IMG_0667-1.jpg

Photo album of my car and progress: http://s491.photobucket.com/albums/rr273/vsefiream/My%20Fire%20Am/

Jim Nilsen
07-06-2009, 05:07 AM
There are 2 part epoxies that work really well, it is usually grey in color when mixed.

Do not use just fiberglass resin or it will eventually delaminate at some time or another but it will work for awhile.

Fusor would be a good choice if you get the right Fusor adhesive for the job.

Have fun.

200horse
07-06-2009, 08:52 PM
try this company www.internationalepoxies.com

they are a full 10 ozs not just 7. Same thing as other brands they teach i- car classee and there stuff is used by Chrysler

vsefiream
07-07-2009, 05:37 AM
try this company www.internationalepoxies.com (http://www.internationalepoxies.com)

they are a full 10 ozs not just 7. Same thing as other brands they teach i- car classee and there stuff is used by Chrysler

Nice, looks like they have a bunch of useful products for my project. I'll have to talk to a rep when I am ready to do this job, I'm not sure if I should use The Inter Weld 60, 15, or Inter Mix 60. This will be a fall project anyhow

200horse
07-07-2009, 10:14 PM
call and talk to Jerry super nice guy he will point you in the right direction

David Pozzi
07-11-2009, 01:06 PM
I would NOT just glass them on. I"d use some kind of two part epoxy adhesive. I'd also look for ways to reinforce the area behind the panel, the rear quarter panels are structural, and while the glass panels will replace some of the structure, the more you reinforce the area, the longer the glass panels will last.

1badchevelle
08-08-2009, 05:23 PM
This is really good info.

I do how ever would like to know what to do in a repair of a fiberglass scoop to a steel hood. Their is a 6"-8" that is coming appart. Can I/should just repair that area?

vsefiream
08-27-2009, 05:55 AM
Thanks David. I'll probably pick up some 1" square or round tube to reinforce the area. That won't be too difficult or expensive a project.

John Wright
08-27-2009, 06:01 AM
since the expansion rates of the materials are different, at some point the seam WILL crack. the better adhesives last longer, but eventually crack as well.Considering the coefficients of expansion were drastically different between the two materials, I had the same thoughts when I saw the title of this thread.

elitecustombody
08-27-2009, 07:32 PM
Marine-tex would be best, I have used it plenty of times over the years and still have yet to see it fail. It get's very expensive though