PDA

View Full Version : What size front tires for boss 338 A-bodies?

rockytopper
06-24-2009, 05:41 AM
What size & diameter tires are you A-body guys that have the boss 338 8 inch wide wheels running on the front of your rides? I want to purchase them but my current 8 inch wide wheels with a 4.75 BS rub hard on the inner fenders on the outside edge. I'm running 225/60/R16 tires which are 26.62 diameter and I see many many A-bodies that sould be he same as mine that are running the boss wheels. I'm thinking my problem is the tire diameter.

Apogee
06-24-2009, 03:08 PM
What ride height and alignment specs are you at? Both will have an effect on how tall of a tire you can fit without rubbing.

Tobin
KORE3

firewood
06-24-2009, 04:14 PM
Considering your current setup, and considering that the 338's come in two backspacings in your bolt pattern, I'd say... More info is needed.
http://www.bossmotorsports.com/wheels_detail_specs.cfm?id=408
How much clearance do you have on the outside?
The +2 offset (4.517 bs) will put you about a 1/4 further outward than you are now. That's good if you're bumping the frame, but bad if there's no more space to the outside.
If you've got the room for it, a 245/45r18 would be exactly the same height as your 225/60r16, but of course, wider. If space is tight, just run a 225/45r18.
If the +14 (4.989) is all you can get, use a 1/4 inch spacer toge it back where you need it.

Hope that helps!

rockytopper
06-25-2009, 05:37 AM
My car is sitting on 2 inch drop spindles. It is set at standard alignment specs for a 1965 cutlass. I also have ccp disc brakes. The wheels I have are 4.75 bs and 5.5 BS. Even before I added the drop spindles and still had drums the 4.75 bs wheels rubbed on the outter lip of the fender with these size tires. I have rolled the fenders and they clear but now with the 2 inch drop I am hitting the inner fender when I have full suspension travel over a dip or bump. I have no issues with the 5.5 bs wheels on front but buying after market wheels that are affordable are none existent in that offset or at least I haven't found any yet. I have seen several lemans of the same years running the boss wheels I am pretty sure they have the same suspension and inner fenders as my cutlass. I could remove a portion of the inner fenders but I don't really care to go that route. I see they have a 20 x 8.5 with a 5.79 bs. THis would only push them out .25 inches more than my 5.5 bs wheels but I really didn't want to go over an 18 inch rim on this ride. I don't see the (4.989 bs) shown for a 4.75 chevy pattern on the boss website.

firewood
06-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Ah. That's where I get in trouble for not looking closer. When your post said A-body, I thought Mopar, and said to myself, "that's a funny looking Dodge Dart!" But who was I to judge?:bsjerk:

Yeah, well you're kinda stuck, then. Your best bet will be the 225/45r18 on the 4.517 backspacing. What's gonna work in your favor is the 18's will have MUCH less sidewall squirm, and therefore less side to side movement. It's also a pinch shorter. So those factors may combine to yield you enough clearance. If not, you can always resell 'em!

If you've got a Discount tire around, you could probably get them to order one and let you test fit it.

SLAMDIMPALA
06-27-2009, 08:40 AM
Get in touch with Jeff at jd wheels. He is pretty knowledgable with these wheels. He has done alot of cars with these wheels.

gearheads78
06-27-2009, 10:22 AM
With my car the perfect but very tight fit inside and outside is 18 x 8.5 with 6" BS with a 255-40-18 tires. Its tucked up in the fender and the front of the car is as low as I can get it without having to worry about every crown in the road.

To be low on your car I think with 8" wheel you will have to come up with at least 5.5"BS wheels