PDA

View Full Version : Dont know what to ask here so please look.

LowBuckX
06-23-2009, 11:26 PM
Ok a friend of mine presented me with this Idea since Ive been trying to come up with a suspension for my Nova.. He works in the feild but Im not sure of his level of knowledge because I just met him at a car show a few weeks ago.
Now please forgive the crude MSpaint reconfigure of an already produced product but it was the fastest way to get the point across.
This would be a 3-link but not conventional 2 lower 1 upper but all 3 links on the bottom. I cant wrap my head around it but it looks like it could work. Big beefy Johnny joint up front polys on the axle side of odd link. supper pivots on the trailing arms. Also would be fairly easy to fab up. Odd link bracketry would need to be beefy the link also.

But please comment on the idea. Of cource all parts would be sourced from site sponcers.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif (http://img26.imageshack.us/i/76926888.jpg/)

Bryce
06-24-2009, 12:55 AM
whats going to prevent the top of the axle housing from rotating backwards?

thats the first thing i see as a flaw.

LowBuckX
06-24-2009, 04:47 AM
whats going to prevent the top of the axle housing from rotating backwards?

thats the first thing i see as a flaw.
I think the location of the odd link brackets...

Rhino
06-24-2009, 06:44 AM
On first glance, I wouldn't think the vertical separation of the brackets would be enough to sufficiently control the rotation of the housing. If the outer links were located on the top of the housing I could see it working out much better.
On the other hand, by keeping the link locations the same and removing the axle housing joints off the center link you end up with a torque arm suspension.

What are you trying to accomplish in this setup?

Norm Peterson
06-24-2009, 07:00 AM
I can't see the picture (corporate internet filters, my end) . . . I will look later.

But if all three axle side pivots are concentric and the links are all parallel in side view, there is nothing there to keep the axle from rotating wildly under either throttle or brake. A PHB or Watts link won't do anything useful here, and even if the 3rd link is attached at a slightly different elevation, bushing compliances will greatly reduce the effectiveness of such a detail (and even hard poly is unlikely to be rigid enough to sufficiently quiet down this sort of flopping around). Never mind that the loads in all of the links would be huge due to the small distances separating them.

Norm