PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best way to go about big brakes ???

ProTeal55
03-24-2005, 02:15 PM
Hello ,

New member here. I recently purchased a super clean 55 Chevy bel-air hardtop, which allready has disc brakes up front , and drums in the rear.

I am in desperate need to get some nice , big, massive brakes , and I dont know where to start.

I am not new to cars , but my last car was a 6sec dragcar , so this whole retro-fit thing is kinda new to me. I plan on running 20's in the front , and 18's in the rear. I would like the biggest functional brakes to fill the inside of the wheels as I could find. Are their certain places that sell complete bolt-on kits for my year chevy ??

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

USAZR1
03-24-2005, 03:07 PM
15" rotors will work on the front,,if you really plan to run 20's.
20's on the front and 18's on the rear seems a little backwards,though.

ProTeal55
03-24-2005, 04:03 PM
I know it sounds "wack" to run 20"s in the front and 18" in the rear , but if you look at the side profile of the tri-five chevys , it makes alittle more sense.

With the factory wheel well openings , the 20'' wheel will fill the entire well perfectly , and with the rear wheel well being partialy "skirted" , their is no need for a 20 , this is where you can get by with a 18'' wheel.

To be honest , if i showed you a pic of a car with the reverse size wheels on it , you wouldnt even notice....

LTorres2
03-24-2005, 04:42 PM
Welcome to the Forum: Here is a great source to have the rotors custom built to your specifications 15" or 16" rotors no problemo, probably 13" in the rear, Your choice of an array of Wilwood calipers from 4 Piston Dynalite to 6 Piston Superlites and many in between. www.precisionbrakescompany.com (http://www.precisionbrakescompany.com) or call 1 866 992 7253 for a quote. These guys build custom kits like this all day long.....There are a few guys on the Forum that are having kits done here now. Look for F1Speed with a 69' Chevelle ask him how it's going...Service is top-notch and follow through is excellent.

LTorres2 Out West

USAZR1
03-24-2005, 07:41 PM
I know it sounds "wack" to run 20"s in the front and 18" in the rear , but if you look at the side profile of the tri-five chevys , it makes alittle more sense.

With the factory wheel well openings , the 20'' wheel will fill the entire well perfectly , and with the rear wheel well being partialy "skirted" , their is no need for a 20 , this is where you can get by with a 18'' wheel.

To be honest , if i showed you a pic of a car with the reverse size wheels on it , you wouldnt even notice....

Hey,it's your car so build it any way you want. Can't say I've ever seen many cars with larger diameter wheels on the front than rear,,if any.
Different strokes for different folks,though. Welcome to the PT Forum.
I've built a bunch of Tri-Fives over the last thirty five years and love'em.

ProTeal55
03-25-2005, 06:13 AM
The whole BigWheel/Little Wheel thing is def. on hold untill next season , as I just picked up the car last night.

I look forward to learning allot from the site , and hopefully helping out some other members as well.