PDA

View Full Version : color change now? or later? front end is off.pics

Topless69
06-20-2009, 08:16 AM
I have a delema gentalmen. I have the front of my car off because I pulled my engine for a rebuild and smoothed the fire wall. I;m getting ready to paint the engine bay silver to match the outside for now but I want to change the car color soon. So being that it is almost July and it will probable take all of July and some of August to get the car road worthy wich doesnt leave much time left in the year to drive it here in Buffalo should I forget about re-assembleing and just change the color now?

PROBLEMS: The paint on the car is in really good shape but I don't know what kind it is so logicaly I should strip it down to metal but I would rather sand it down part way and just paint it. The new color.

PLease tell me your thoughts, good or bad.

LateNight72
06-20-2009, 09:36 AM
Is the paint on the car BC/CC? How old is it?

I think you'd be fine with a scuff and shoot.

Edit: Just read the rest of your post, in that you don't know the type. If the paint is good, meaning no crazing, checking, peeling, etc. Then I'd just sand it a little, seal it, and paint it.

Topless69
06-20-2009, 09:56 AM
To tell the truth Todd I don't know what it is. I've owned it 6 years and the previous owner redid it 10 years pryor with one repaint in between.

justasquid
06-21-2009, 12:30 AM
If your not sure, I think I would strip it down. Especially since it had a repaint at some point, you don't know if someone already did a scuff and paint over paint already. You really don't want more than two paint jobs on a car. If the paint thats currently on the car is just one paint job, you can paint over that, but if its more, strip it and start over.

Just my two cents on what I would do, plus, you'll know exactly what your working with. If you have any issues with past body work that is hidden by the paint, it will reveal itself and would be a great time to take care of those issues.