PDA

View Full Version : amplifier install question

Ishmael
06-18-2009, 05:08 PM
What do I need to run under the carpet from the stereo in the front to the amplifier and speakers in the back. I'm not going to run any huge system, I just need to know what to put down before the carpet for when I get to that point. Thanks for any help for a guy that knows nothing about amplifiers.

67speedfreak
06-18-2009, 06:06 PM
You will need RCA's and a remote wire minimum.

dropit69
06-18-2009, 08:40 PM
power cable..small remote trigger wire and a set of rca jacks..if you arent going nuts hit a best buy or simaler store ..they make kits with all the stuff you will need..be sure it has a built in fuse block

bbcc
06-19-2009, 12:12 AM
You may also want to run your speaker wire under the carpet leading to the front, if you think you may put some speakers in the kickpanel down the road. For supply's, I suggest you support your local audio shop. They will be the first to help you out with your head scratchers if you support them with your buisness. You may get a better bargain at the big stores, but you may learn a thing or two from the small guys.

Cheers, Ryer

dannyho
06-19-2009, 04:19 AM
those wiring kits are nice because they take a lot of guesswork out for someone who is new to car audio, But they are drastically overpriced at places like best buy. try www.knukonceptz.com for all your wiring, that's where I've bought all my car audio hardware from. their prices and products are good and they don't charge too much for shipping either.

1969CamaroRS
06-19-2009, 05:07 AM
2nd on the Knukonceptz, just ordered a bunch of speaker wire and RCA cables from them. High quality stuff without overcharging you. Definitely check them out.

Gordz32
06-19-2009, 07:03 AM
Make sure to not run your power supply wire going to the amp, away from your RCA's, and speaker wires.

Rhino
06-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Make sure to not run your power supply wire going to the amp, away from your RCA's, and speaker wires.
To clarify a little bit, I believe you mean to not run the Power supply next to your signal. :)

He's absolutely right. It is much simpler to run it down one side, but I prefer to have at the very minimum 4 to 6 inches separating the two. I usually run them down opposite sides of the car. This reduces the RF interference you typically get in some of the more "rushed" jobs.

CarPlayLB
06-19-2009, 06:30 PM
...and PLEASE put the fuse for the amp power cable right by the positive terminal on the battery! I see so many cars that have a large gauge cable going to the battery without a fuse. Once you see a cable burn all the way back to a short, you will understand!

Ishmael
06-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Good tips guys, keep them coming. I went to a local guy who had a personality like a plate of cold piss. The only kit he had was for 200 watts and it was $60. There's another local guy I'll try yet.

PT Sportwagon
07-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Check out KnuKnoceptz on Ebay they would have just about anything you need. I have used his stuff before and it is high quality stuff.

Tim

nekkidhillbilly
07-12-2009, 10:42 PM
walmart has all the stuff you need cheap actually. but i would opt for some better shielded cables than walmart sells. also id run some sound deadening under that carpet while it was out

astross89
07-19-2009, 05:52 AM
Check out KnuKnoceptz on Ebay they would have just about anything you need. I have used his stuff before and it is high quality stuff.

Tim
agree

rizzle1
07-20-2009, 01:53 PM
im installing my amp i got everything in correctly but when i connect my amp jacks the amp turns from green to a red led protector light. do i need to ground my amp jacks? if so to where? im installing amp into a 97 cutlass supreme