PDA

View Full Version : Coating/Protecting Original Floor Pans

jknight16
06-17-2009, 09:06 AM
I've done a great deal of searching but it seems most people are working with new metal when it comes to trying to make a decision between the major anti-rust coatings.

The interior floor pans in my car are in great shape with just a hint of surface rust here and there (nothing a quick wire wheel won't remove) and I'd like to keep them that way! So my question is, does anyone have experience using any of the popular rust/panel coatings (POR15, Eastwood Rust Encapsulator, PickleX20, others??) on solid but "seasoned" floor pans?

Keep in mind, the car is built but currently has the interior out for some revisions. I mention that because I can't flip the car over and/or hose it out very easily to prep the surface like you can when it's on a rotisserie...Also, I should note that I'll be adding some second skin products (gotta support the local guys) for sound and heat control after protecting the original pans.

jackfrost
06-17-2009, 09:28 AM
I'd wire-wheel it as much as you can stand, and then use POR15. it'll draw out any remaining moisture and seal it up.