PDA

View Full Version : anyone know of a oil filter sandwich adapter with thermostat?

yody
03-23-2005, 11:06 PM
looking for an Oil filter sandwich adapter with a built in thermostat aroudn 215 degrees, anyone know of one? thanks!

yody
03-25-2005, 11:38 PM
ttt

chicane67
03-26-2005, 03:54 AM
Doesnt exist that I know of. Its a packaging/space issue. Sorry, but your gonna have to caugh up the ducks and purchase real parts.....lol

Lowend
03-26-2005, 08:36 AM
I think Earls offers one

yody
03-26-2005, 10:57 AM
yeah earls has one but it starts to open at 160 and fully opens at 180, chicane what do you mean?

f355bird
03-27-2005, 02:59 AM
What in the world is this thing and what is its purpose?

CarlC
03-27-2005, 09:05 AM
The nice parts are made by CV Products. It's a remote thermostat so more plumbing is required.

Thermostats allow the bypass of oil around the cooler. Oil is best used when it is in the 210*+ range, and without a bypass on a street car it can be tough to get the oil hot. I do not run a thermostat and have a hard time getting 160* of oil temp. Last night, with a 62* ambient temp, oil temps were 145* on the highway. I need to either install a thermostat or block the top part of the radiator on cool days.

yody
03-27-2005, 04:04 PM
i might just go with the earls, definetly don't want to use a remote style since my new rr pan lets me drop the filter straight down. the earls looks like a nice part, its just that the temp rating is a little low

chicane67
03-27-2005, 05:39 PM
Hummmm.....lets see..... either half @ss it, or half @ss it right?

yody
03-27-2005, 06:01 PM
okay mr. yagenbaumer how am i half@ssing it? i am usign a milodon road race pan with 6 trap doors, a stock volume high pressure pump, an autometer temp and oil pressure guage, milodon tray and rear main/pump baffle, earls "thermostatic" sandwich adapter, full flow AN adapters and hose ends, 10AN hose, and an earls "setrab style" plate stacked oil cooler; 13" wide 19 row cooler. SO what is so half@ss about this system? so what if the thermo opens at 180 instead of 210? i don't see that as such a big deal, as having to route 20 feet of 10AN hose all over the engine compartement relocating the filter and running an external thermostat? I think your way is overkill and is way more expensive, more messy, and overly complicated. Every single component is top quality and the system is engineered just fine, i don't think having a thermostat that opens a little earlier is going to be much of a problem, how many v8's do you know of that have a 160 cooling thermostat that actually run at 160? oooohhh, thats what i thought! BTW my speedtech control arms should be showing up later this week :) I knew you would love that!

chicane67
03-27-2005, 09:14 PM
How many have an oil 160* t-stat? How about none.

Most street oil temps are in the early 160*'s (which is way too cool) and go to the 220*+ range, then go out of site from there. They have to be regulated to a certain range to control the temp. Too cool and the oil additives dont work, which causes excelerated engine wear and buildup.

180* is too cool. 190* is too cool. 200* is too cool......... engine oil and coolant temps are way different slappy. The oil should be maintained 40 degrees F hotter than coolant temperatures.

Your logic fits right in there with your blowtech control arm purchase. The parts in question are very similar to the others, but still shy of being what they need to be..... something that has tech to back them up.

Neener, neener.....neener. Now get back to using the brain GOD gave you.

yody
03-27-2005, 09:25 PM
common, i expected better than that! in the perfect world i think the 215 oil temp will be best but it just aint' gonna make sense for me right now. The earls billet adapter fully opens at 180 degrees, better than nothing i guess. maybe down the road i will be able to find a sandwich adapter that opens later. maybe not 100% correct part but still not a halfass part. Maybe i can find a way to modify it? BTW i bought the control arms only because they look really cool! (if that doesn't push your button i don't know what will!)

chicane67
03-27-2005, 09:55 PM
Maybe try the Harrison sandwich adapter? It is a factory GM product, it does work rather well and plumbs into the lower block and heater return line. I dont remember the RPO number, but it was the factory HD oil cooler installed on Corvettes/Camaros/Firebirds, LT1 block. If I remember right the whole gig from GM was like $230.00, and included all hard lines, adapter and associated hoses. I used quite a few of these at Guldstrand for beefy street cars.

I think you would be better off not running one, over that of running something that isnt really going to help you really at all. Save the moo until you sort out exactly what you need and afford. What a flippin joke...... 9 billion dollars in you car and you wont plunk down for the correct $180.00 part.

Ya know, I expect more and better out of you.

Thank Global and DSE for the great looks........btw.

yody
03-28-2005, 11:05 PM
looking at the cv products thermo, i just don't know how or where i woudl mount it that would make sense for me? wish i could find a thermo plate that had a higher thermo, maybe earls could tell me how to modify it? each 10AN endura finish 90 degree fitting is about $25 each!!!

yody
04-02-2005, 11:53 AM
okay, i am a hardass but i think i can make the cv products thermo work, but wondering which way of installing it? do i do a mixing or diverting installation, they both seem to make sense, but not sure which one better suits me, also does CV products make a sandwich adapter with 10AN outlets?

yody
04-07-2005, 01:20 PM
well the cv products is out of the question $220!!! Mocal has one that looks just as nice for $100, probably just going to use that, and it looks easier to route the lines, they also have decent sandwich adapters