PDA

View Full Version : 1st Message...Assistance On Power Rack/Power Steering Pump Problem

Atomic 67
06-15-2009, 06:43 PM
Hello To All:

Anyone out there had experience with power steering pumps failing with a power rack by Chris Alston. I have a 2008 LS3, stock pump and power steering failed after 1,700 miles. Replaced the pump and it failed again after a few short miles. Flushed the rack with new fluid several times. Is there any truth that the rack runs best with 1.5 gallons per minute...I was told the pump flows 3.5 gallons per minute? Any ideas?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Brad

1971CHEVELLE
06-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Welcome

Payton King
06-17-2009, 04:53 AM
Are you sure you are having problems with the pump and not the rack? I was running a stock LS pump on an AGR rack and was having problems.

First problem was too much flow causing an over assisted feel at highway speeds. Made it very darty. The other was I had an internal leak in the rack making it feel like I had no power steering. Thought it was the pump and changed it....just like you with no change.

In my opinion, which is not worth much, you are having a rack problem not a pump problem. I am not sure who makes your rack although Chris Alston sells it. Need to give them a call. I sent my rack back and had the seal fixed and also had the torsion bar size in the rack increased to give it a more firm feel. They also reworked my pump to work with the mustang style rack. It is great now.

Turn One does a great job on pumps. Call Alston as your rack needs to be looked at as well. 1.5 is the correct flow for that rack.

silver69camaro
06-17-2009, 05:31 AM
The other possibility, which we see many times here at AME, is people using power steering pumps running too much pressure than what the rack is designed for, which can really cause damage.

When you say it "fails", what exactly is going on?

LowBuckX
06-17-2009, 08:29 AM
I sent my rack back and had the seal fixed and also had the torsion bar size in the rack increased to give it a more firm feel. They also reworked my pump to work with the mustang style rack. It is great now.

can you tell me where the torsion bar is so I can check mine.

silver69camaro
06-17-2009, 09:10 AM
can you tell me where the torsion bar is so I can check mine.

The torsion bar is inside the pinion, there isn't anything to check. For those who have a Mustang rack, it's a .218" to about a .220" bar. Had mine increased to .265, but I would recommend a 0.235 to 0.240 for most people. I have no idea what CA uses in theirs.

Payton King
06-17-2009, 09:45 AM
believe mine was 245.