PDA

View Full Version : Custom tank baffle questions

USAZR1
03-23-2005, 08:18 PM
A friend from Nitrous Express here in town is going to fab up a stainless fuel tank for my 69 El Camino. Does anyone have any photos of their baffling set-up they can post here or email me? Would you recommend a sump be incorporated in the rear of the tank? I'm running a SBC w/carb at the present time and do not have any plans to switch to EFI anytime soon. Thanks for any input.

USAZR1
03-27-2005, 12:04 PM
So,,no one has designed or built their own baffled fuel tank???

paul67
03-28-2005, 10:22 AM
the tanks I've seen have plates all the across with holes about 2" 3 or 4 to only on the bottom to stop side movement, then plates welded length ways holes again to stop front and back movement but you must find where you are going to put all your fittings first. Sorry that I cannot help you more paul67

USAZR1
03-28-2005, 08:26 PM
I probably need to IM John Parsons and pick his brain a little.
Might also have to bite the bullet and have a pro build me a tank.

paul67
03-29-2005, 03:46 AM
A pro did not build my tank and I'm quite happy with it I found a web siti that might help but do not know how to post in forum.

paul67

USAZR1
03-29-2005, 04:52 PM
I talked to Rick's Hot Rod Shop today about building me a custom tank. Since my 69 El Camino has narrower frame rails,the dimensions I faxed Rick will give me almost a 21 gallon capacity. Price with sending unit is $675. All I need to do now is to draw up a pattern with dimensions,filler location,etc and send in a deposit to get them started. Here's the url address if anyone wants to check out their site.
http://www.rickshotrodshop.com/

ks71z28
03-30-2005, 07:57 AM
I have a 71 Camaro with EFI and in-tank pump. I used the stock tank, and a sender from a donor EFI car. I cut out the bottom of the tank and built a "box" that goes up into the tank 2" and protrudes out the bottom 1.5". the return line is in the sender and fills the sump. it also has guage sender. It works great and fits like stock. It looks racy too and cost about $100. You could do the same, but leave out efi pump, and use return line for pick-up, until your EFI is ready. For $800 Rockvalley will build you one.....

Zefhix
03-30-2005, 01:32 PM
I talked to Rick's Hot Rod Shop today about building me a custom tank. Since my 69 El Camino has narrower frame rails,the dimensions I faxed Rick will give me almost a 21 gallon capacity. Price with sending unit is $675. All I need to do now is to draw up a pattern with dimensions,filler location,etc and send in a deposit to get them started. Here's the url address if anyone wants to check out their site.
http://www.rickshotrodshop.com/

You probably talked to Hector...Rick is his son and is supposed to be in engineering school right now but they're definitely a bunch of really good people over there. They're making mine for the Chevelle that we'll be tossing around pretty good so the baffling is enourmously important to us. Glad he's taking car of you...they do really nice work. :cool:

USAZR1
03-30-2005, 07:33 PM
You probably talked to Hector...Rick is his son and is supposed to be in engineering school right now but they're definitely a bunch of really good people over there. They're making mine for the Chevelle that we'll be tossing around pretty good so the baffling is enourmously important to us. Glad he's taking car of you...they do really nice work. :cool:

Actually,I talked to Rick. Hector was out of town displaying at a Goodguys event,if I remember correctly. Faxed them a copy of our business license/tax number so we can become a dealer. Looking forward to working with them. Definitely sound like good folk.

They are working on becoming a Supporting Vendor for the PT Forum.

USAZR1
03-30-2005, 07:49 PM
I have a 71 Camaro with EFI and in-tank pump. I used the stock tank, and a sender from a donor EFI car. I cut out the bottom of the tank and built a "box" that goes up into the tank 2" and protrudes out the bottom 1.5". the return line is in the sender and fills the sump. it also has guage sender. It works great and fits like stock. It looks racy too and cost about $100. You could do the same, but leave out efi pump, and use return line for pick-up, until your EFI is ready. For $800 Rockvalley will build you one.....

My El Camino has narrowed frame rails and bigger wheel tubs from its life as a former prostreet car. No way a stock tank would fit without major mods.

Nothing against Rock Valley as we have used them in some of our street rod projects. Rick's Hot Rod Shop's pricing is a little better for my particular application. They are also located in Texas as we are. Just kinda like to keep some of our business in state,too.

Zefhix
03-30-2005, 08:49 PM
Actually,I talked to Rick. Hector was out of town displaying at a Goodguys event,if I remember correctly. Faxed them a copy of our business license/tax number so we can become a dealer. Looking forward to working with them. Definitely sound like good folk.

They are working on becoming a Supporting Vendor for the PT Forum.

Oh...cool! That's right...Hector's going to have a booth at the Del Mar show this weekend....sorry bout that Clint. Didn't mean to impose my .02 cents when I didn't know what I was talking about!!! :slap:

USAZR1
03-31-2005, 09:45 PM
Simply an honest mistake,Keith. No offense taken.