PDA

View Full Version : Rear susp question. What ya think

SShep71
03-23-2005, 02:53 PM
Im curious as to which rear suspension setup you guys think would work best on a 70 chevelle with a Full fabbed frame, and a good front suspension setup. With a all aluminum engine setup. I know there is a hell of alot of talent on here, so I think this should be good.

-Shep

JamesJ
03-23-2005, 03:46 PM
Well I am not an expert but I will say that it probably does not matter much of what kind of car you have since it looks like it is a complete custom job. To get more info, I would ask, What do you want to do with this car? And how far you willing to go to achieve it.

Mean 69
03-23-2005, 04:34 PM
My personal vote goes for a three link system, with a Watt's linkage. If you are going with a full frame swap, a good race shop dealing with road race cars could pull this off easily. Of all of the rigid axle suspension systems, the three link seems to offer the least compromises in performance. There is a really nice four link setup called a "Satchell" link that is also a really nice design, but there are not too many people that have run them that I have seen. It is theoretically even more simple, while offering really nice critical attributes (roll center height, roll steer characteristics, etc).

I'd have to second the previous question though, defining what it is specifically you are going to do with the car. If it is going to truly be a road race type car, then removing every ounce of weight is of primary importance with a full frame Chevelle, clearly the aluminum engine is a terrific start.

You will get a lot of opinions with an open ended question like this, be prepared!

Mark

wally8
03-23-2005, 06:36 PM
Good point to bring up the Satchell link. If this configuration is so good (which seems to be the consensus) why isn't it used more? Packaging looks like it would be easy to do as well. I wonder why I've never seen one in the circle track world where there is every possible variation of stick axle rear suspensions one has ever heard of and then some. It's not uncommon to see a car that has two different configurations on either side (swing arm Z link on one side and a four link type on the other for example) so a Satchell would seem a natural experiment.

Anyone know of someone who is using it? Pictures?

Wally

SShep71
03-23-2005, 07:42 PM
Hey guys, sorry I left the question pretty broad. I am gonna use this car as a road racer, daily driver. Im not really worried too much about shaving every possible pound. I just want something that handles good in the back moutain roads and rides on the interstate really well. I am intrested in the satchel link typoe design, anyone have links, or pics of one.

-Shep

rocketman
03-23-2005, 10:32 PM
i am a fan of the torque arm set up,like on 4th gen camaro's.i set up a buddys 69 z with a bmr tq arm works really nice.would have to use a rear end with mounting bracket like a l m z28.

pav8427
03-24-2005, 06:37 PM
hey shep, heres shots of a chassis i'm doing for my 65.
although not tested yet i believe its stout enough and
should perform well.

pav8427
03-24-2005, 06:47 PM
sorry it didnt take last time

boodlefoof
03-25-2005, 06:24 AM
I'm planning on building a Satchell link for my next project.

for more information on this rear suspension design, do a search over at www.corner-carvers.com A member named "Jag" over there is running a Satchell link.

Travis B
03-25-2005, 06:36 AM
i am a fan of the torque arm set up,like on 4th gen camaro's.i set up a buddys 69 z with a bmr tq arm works really nice.would have to use a rear end with mounting bracket like a l m z28.

Torque arm set ups work very well as well as a decoupled torque arm set ups! Three link or a satchel link set up would be my first choices then probably the torque arm! Just my.02cents :jump: