PDA

View Full Version : Paint gun guru's....Tip advice 4 newbie.

Topless69
06-13-2009, 07:08 AM
Hi guys,
I'm very close to painting my engine bay.I have a brand new gun A friend gave me it's a CAMBELL HAUSFELD. I think this is a K-MART type gun correct?

Question/concern: I read every thing 5 times and it says ".070 diameter fluid orfic " which works out to be "1.778mm" I think. Now what I read in the arcives is this is a good tip size for primer, can I get away with using it for the base/clear also?
If so I would love any tips on how to get the best results out of it.
Thanks Jeoff J.

LateNight72
06-13-2009, 07:43 AM
1.8 would be fine for primer. However it will be too big for BC and "iffy" at best for clear. A 1.4 or 1.5 would be preferred.

MonzaRacer
06-14-2009, 03:12 PM
If its a 6500 Campbell Hausefield I have shot primer, color and clear from mine from Autozone years ago and it shot primer, tech base NAPA(Sherwin Williams) base and high solids clear and never gave bad results. Learning what your gun wants in viscosity, cleaning and technique are critical.
I shot a car with a friend SATA HVLP gun, we used 3 qts of paint, switched to other paint bay, my 6500 CH gun and used 3 qts of paint on his sons identical car, both had enough left over for touch up bottle. I shot high solids clear with uv protectant and mica from CH gun and both cars have gotten compliments for my work.
BUT if you can afford better stuff go for it.

JRouche
06-14-2009, 06:37 PM
I agree, 1.8 is large for the color/clear coat. Your paint supplier will say whats best. Check out their suggestions. 1.4 is a standard size for the CC/BC like latenight said... JR

Topless69
06-23-2009, 04:20 PM
Thanks guys. I have my on a devilbliss starterline series with 1.3,1.5 and 1.8mm tips. Any thoughts on this..?? I've heard some good things about devilbliss.

Bad94
06-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Thanks guys. I have my on a devilbliss starterline series with 1.3,1.5 and 1.8mm tips. Any thoughts on this..?? I've heard some good things about devilbliss.

There a ok gun, I have a few at the shop, that local paint store gave to me. I just dont like them, but we have one set up for primer. But if i have a big primer job i get my Sata KLC out.

I have all sata's but for someone at home painting a car, there alot of $$$, But if you spray everyday for a living best of the best(in my eye).

MonzaRacer
06-24-2009, 11:02 AM
Dont get me wrong, would I use it for a daily basis in shop, maybe for primer, but heck for engine compartment go for it, I have yet to have issues and only find fluidtip sizes only helped me dial it in, it never did nay good for me untill I got my technique down, mopst daily painters may disagree, but this is my experience. I have a Sharpe 775, my old CH and I hope to pick up a set of the HVLP Astro guns after I get a shop together, I dont need $1000 gun for work I do right now. I have helped with cheap ones and expensive ones but honestly I keep getting compliments on my work.
I do agree on one thing its harder to get a run or sag with gun using smaller tips and primer doesnt flow good through them.
Good luck and practice. And remember using too thick paint or too thin regardless of gun will look like crap. My uncle taught me how to read the paint off the mixing stick and seems to work for me so far. we mixed paint by measuring then by his way and found we used nearly same amount of reducer and achieved similar results.