PDA

View Full Version : wheel spacer/adapters. Size limits?

WS6
06-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Is there a size limit when using the spacers/adapters that first bolt to the hub and then have their own lug nuts for the rims? I may have to run 4th gen wheels because of budget issues. However, to fit these 1.5" spacers are needed on the front and 2.0" are needed in the rear. That's a lot of metal. Will they hold up to the abuse of being thrown into corners? I'm looking at quality billet spacers too not cast aluminum ones.

Thanks

DriverzInc
06-11-2009, 07:26 PM
If you are really going to flog your car, I would really invest the money into wheels that "fit". There are some really good options out there in cast two piece that would probably fit the bill. Billet Specialites Legends Series, StreeLites, VWW's, etc.

Mkelcy
06-11-2009, 08:11 PM
1.875" front/2.00" rear bolt on spacers (C5 wheels on a '68 Camaro) for 28,000 miles of canyons and multi-1,000 mile trips with NO issues. Go for it.

WS6
06-12-2009, 05:18 PM
It's only temporary Jon. I can't afford the billet YO Snowflakes so I'm either going with the 17in cast snowflakes or fourth gen wheels. I may or may not even make it to an autox before I am able to tear the car apart again and build it up even more. So really, I just need something that will work for now. However, I want to make sure it won't break if I lean on it.

Thanks guys

86Cutlass383SR
06-12-2009, 06:51 PM
I bought a set of wheels for my 86 Cutlass with bs 5.25''/13mm offset. I knew I'd need adapters ahead of time. Yeah I heard some guys say they were ok...but in the back of my mind, it still makes you wonder.

I do tire work for a living and had a Dodge dually come in for a flat repair on the inside dual (do the outside one EVER go flat? LOL). I pulled the outside tire off and there to greet me was a bolt on wheel adapter. 2" thick and well worn from years of use. I talked to the owner and he kinda laughed a bit and said it wasn't uncommon for him to pull 30,000# 40' trailers with his truck.

That puts an end to my worries of using wheel adapters.