PDA

View Full Version : Paint/body question

DJW32
06-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Hello,
First, I would like to thank paint god for his thread!

I have a quick question about minor paint work. Take a look at these pictures (pictures below).

Should I use something like the 3m strip wheel? Here is a picture http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/3m-scotch-brite-roloc-clean-strip-xt-disc-07470-pc-13940-698.aspx

Should I use sand paper? What should I use to knock the surface rust off and prime/seal the area?

David

justasquid
06-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Ive never liked the strip wheels. The only time I use something like one those is if I can't get into a certain area, or the area is really flakey. It would come in handy in the small dented areas, but I would only use it on small areas. Large areas I would suggest a da sander with 80 grit. Do your body work, then prime over that with some epoxy primer, then as long as the body work was done correctly, you can use some high build primer to block sand it all smooth. Some will epoxy prime then do the body work, but I've never done it this way, so I couldn't say any pro's or con's to it. But I may try it in the near future.

You mentioned minor paint work. If you are intending on just removing the rust and leaving the rest of the paint and painting over that, I would suggest not going that route. I would remove all of the paint on the entire panel. From the pictures, the existing paint is poor shape and rust is popping out everywhere. I would definately remove all of the paint.

Paint God
06-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Thank you.

Well you are in one of those spots. I would definetly strip the vehicle. The surface rust that you have is marginal. It might clean up with something really aggresive (80 grit on a 3 inch rolock comes to mind). You just have to go into the surface to get to the bottom of the rust pits. If you sand it with a DA you will notice small black dots in the metal. Those dots are just rust that has pitted the metal. If you dont get it out it will keep eating and bubble up whatever paint you put over it and keep burowing down into the metal untuil there is none left.

The best way to get rid of it is to have it mineral blasted. If that is not possible then try the roloc 80 grit. You will need to buy the arbour and the disks. Just place the arbour into a high speed grinder/cut off wheel tool. Hit all of the rust spots with that then chemical strip the rest as I outlined in my post.

Questions? Send me a PM.

200horse
06-14-2009, 09:26 PM
You need a pad like this you put on a grinder.http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=FAPS6258-p80-40&Category_Code=5SPL