PDA

View Full Version : Rocker panel replacement

Blaster11
03-23-2005, 09:28 AM
I need to replace the rockers on my 68 Bird and need some help. I guess I will start of by saying I have already purchased full rockers. The rust is on the outer most part which was behind the rocker trim everyrhing else is pretty solid. Do you know of any tech articles I can reference? The part that concerns me the most is back by the quarters the rest appears to be just a lot of spot welds but I could be wrong :dunno: any help appreciated. Thanks
Bruce

parsonsj
03-23-2005, 09:36 AM
I replaced my passenger side rocker in II Much.

It's a lot of work, especially up around where cowl and front fender come together with the rocker. Lots of spot welds to find and drill. I ended up buying a plasma cutter just for that job because I couldn't get to all the spot welds without taking the quarter panel and and cowl off.

The one thing I did have to make it a lot easier was that the car was on a body rotator.

It was worth it in the end. My door gaps on the passenger side were much better than the driver's side with its original rocker.

jp

Blaster11
03-26-2005, 10:20 AM
John,

When you replaced your rocker did you do it with the door on or was the door off. I am wondering if that will help when it comes panel alignment time.

Anyone else replaced rockers? C'mon, please?

Bruce

68Daytona
04-01-2005, 06:27 PM
Bruce,
Check over at Camaros.net, lots of good info over there.

Roger

gmachinz
04-02-2005, 04:52 AM
I replaced the driver's side rocker on my '87 Monte Carlo SS-same would apply to your car, though. There are a lot of spot wleds-my tuffest area was where the front of the rocker met the floor pan (I had a small rust issue to deal with right there-I blame a leaking A-pillar windshield glass seal which allowed water to "drip" in over time)-you have to be carefull not to tear up the pan when drilling/pulling. I'm not sure on 1st gens but on G-bodies there are two rockers-the outer and the inner. I used panels from another car because I don't like aftermarket panels as much on these cars. I tacked the inner rocker to the body first, then tacked the outer to that. Next, I put on the inner/outer quarter (the rocker actually slips underneath the outer quarter skin) and aligned my door to the quarter. Then I made adjustments on the entire rocker by drilling out the few tacks and repositioning the rocker so the gaps at the bottom were even. Rockers have a ton of pinch welds but in the end, it turned out great. -Jabin