PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Thunder on the final stretch

Pages : [1] 2

Ripped
06-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Hi again. I am going to try and update here as "Thunder" gets close to completion.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

The leaf springs have settled in as I've been driving it. I actually ordered and installed a slightly smaller tire (.9" diameter) which will lower the front 1/2" then I took out the 1" rubber coil spring spacer which should drop the front a further 3/4"

I had to have the spacer in there to prevent the tires from touching the fender lips on turns.

The car sat level, but looked lower on the back, so it should have a nice back to front rake when back together.

I spent a lot of time modding the magnaflow exhaust kit and trans crossmember to tuck the pipes up nice and tight. This should allow for safe speed bump crossing etc.

While this is going on the toploader is coming out and a TKO is going in (1.5 -2 weeks 'till I get it.) I have "adjusted" the transmission tunnel, and will be welding the last of it tonight, hopefully.

Going low means I want to have the tranny up in the right position, not dragging on a funky angle, or at risk of hitting.

At the same time all this is going on, the 428 is out of the car again. We are swapping camshafts. Did a long night last night with my engine builder, dissasembling and checking the engine.

Looks like we have 3 bad valve seals and a failing intake gasket otherwise mechanically looks good.

Hope to have the engine ready for a camshaft break in by the weekend.

Also have a new aluminum rad (engine running very warm) which is going to go in with the rest of the mechanical parts.

I'm glad in one way that I did not get the car in full paint, because of all the "fun" stuff that has had to go on to get this thing perfect mechaincally.

Love driving it. Can't wait to get it back on the road!

705.0Merc
06-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Good looking car.

Restomod
06-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Nice!! I guess you are going with blue w/ white stripes??

NOT A TA
06-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Nice project!

Ripped
06-12-2009, 09:39 PM
The cam that was initially in the 428 was really not living up to expectations (Comp XE262H) good power, good torque, was smooth up to 2000 rpm then sounded like someone dropped ball bearings into the lifter valley. Tightening up the lash improved things a little, but it really sounded like crap.

The decision was made to swap the cam out for a 270S.

So out came the engine again.

In the pictures you can see some other things were going on. The intake manifold gasket was failing. Three valves were contaminated with a degree of oil sludge.

My engine guy came by my house and worked 2 nights on his own time (good customer service) We replaced three intake valve seals, and swapped out the cam and lifters.

Oil pump is primed, zinc additive, and all wired up for a remote start. I hope to do the cam break in tomorrow

Ripped
06-13-2009, 08:06 PM
A video midstream through the camshaft break-in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9sNR0d_lSg

Ripped
06-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Coming off break in to idle speed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAlSvR6Ismk

Krazed
06-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Looks good! I like what you're doing with it. I really wish I had a fastback mustang to mess around with... who knows, it may be my next project!

1971CHEVELLE
06-14-2009, 01:20 PM
Good looking car

Code Red
06-14-2009, 01:21 PM
nice man

Ripped
06-14-2009, 08:27 PM
Looks good! I like what you're doing with it. I really wish I had a fastback mustang to mess around with... who knows, it may be my next project!
I like your 'cuda. I used to have a 2x4bbl W-2 motor. Great engines

Good looking car
Thanks I kike what you are doing with your chevelle. Crazy amount of work with the 'vette engine. SHould be cool!

nice man
Thanks. I checked your GTO out. Nice to see the pontiac valve covers between the fenders. Good job

Ripped
06-16-2009, 08:13 AM
A couple updates.
TKO is on it's way now. Should arrive mid next week.
I dropped off the cobra air filter assy. at the platers yesterday. Should be in chrome by mid next week also.
Did more welding on the tranmission tunnel last night. I have another few hours of welding and grinding, before it's ready for primer.

I have plans to make a custom console, which will emulate some of the '68 style GT console, but I want to have places for cup holders, mount for the ipod, gauges, switches etc

ProMav71
06-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Nice Mustang. I bet the wait is killing you.

Ripped
06-18-2009, 08:59 AM
Nice Mustang. I bet the wait is killing you.

Yes, it is REALLY killing me!

BTW reading your sig, I saw a Pinto on the road yesterday. Been a long time since I have seen one. The one I saw was not in great shape, pretty rusty

Ripped
06-19-2009, 06:25 AM
Had a decent night last night, putting some parts back together. Changed the speedo cable back to a short one to go with the TKO. Much easier than I thought it would be.

Re installed much of the wiring and misc pieces on the front end of the car. Re-did some of the wiring and connectors which were damaged. Put the battery in and tested everything.

Tidied up the loom, additional wiring that I placed in the past few months for the booster fans etc.

I was considering adding an additional pair of horns (so it's nice and loud) for when people cut me off (vengance lol)

I am pretty much ready to drop the engine back in, except I damaged my clutch line and broke it last night. This will mean simply bending a new piece of brake line - so no biggie.

I am mulling over floor console ideas (since I modified the transmission hump)

I'd like to start up the engine and adjust the lash (hot) before I drop the engine back in, but it's not critical.

I indexed all the new spark plugs, except I have one orphan plug that is off. I'll try and take it back and get another one.

Ripped
06-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Replaced the broken hydraulic clutch hard line, last night, then dropped the engine back between the shock towers. Didn't take long, but makes it look like I've done a lot.

Ripped
06-25-2009, 09:01 AM
New Tranny is in;

I ended up making my own crossmember. It's good, plus I added a hole for my modified hydraulic slave cylinder bracket.

Cut down an old shock absorber washer to cushion any slight vibration from the slave bracket to the trans mount which is fixed.

Hopefully weather is good tonight, and I will button up the car install the seats and road test tonight.

Otherwise the weekend looks like it will be on the road driving for sure.

Engine video;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce6URuQcB90

Ripped
06-26-2009, 10:17 PM
Put it all together again last night, and got in a short drive.

Today, I tweaked a few things and put it a little more through it's paces.

Even though, in theory, the solid lifter cam, was supposed to be more radical than the crappy hydraulic one, it replaced; the car is smoother, quieter, runs better. I'd say it's 100% quieter, with the same exact exhaust system.

The TKO is another amazing change from the toploader. What a difference in shifting and drivability.

It feels like a whole different car. The car looks equal front to back now with the lowering of the front end (approx 3/4")

It's so quiet on the freeway, that I can listen to music at a nice low volume and enjoy the stereo. Before all the changes, my ears used to ring when we'd drive on the freeway. Not any more.

Ripped
06-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Did a lot of driving today.
First I removed the sound resonators from the tail pipes. It definitely is about 25% louder and throatier sounding without the resonator tubes.
(these are hollow tubes that are Tee'd off the tail pipes, and capped. 50% of the length of the tailpipe. Cancels sound waves and droning.)

Great for showing off.

Car drove great. I am still breaking in the trans and cam, so taking it fairly easy. Loving the 5th speed highway cruise 2000 rpm = 80 mph

I bought a new speedo gear, and installed it late at night. The speedo corresponds exactly with the rpm/speed forecast so I am right on.

I still have an annoying clunk in the rear suspension. Probably from running so low on the rear springs. I'll have to track that down now.

Krazed
06-29-2009, 08:07 AM
Sounds good! I'd liike to see what you've done with the exhaust if you have a picture of it.

Glad to see you got it running, I can't wait to do a T56 of my own.

Ripped
06-30-2009, 01:21 PM
Sure, I picked this up from a couple other forums, because I was getting an incredibly bad drone from the previous cam that I had.

The idea being that you Tee off the tail pipe a dead end section of exhaust tube 50% the length of the tailpipe.
The resonator then is supposed to cancel out the droning sound waves coming through the tail-pipes.

You should also make the resonator pipes a slightly different length from each other, so that it also reduces harmonization.

Does it work. Yes absolutely cancels 80-90% of exhaust drone. Does not rob any horsepower.

The down side, if any, is it really knocks down the exhaust note. Mine sounds like a beast with them off, and more like a modern day performance car, with them on.

But the car was built for long performance cruising, and does have a good sound system, so it's really the right thing to do.

Krazed
06-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the explanation and pictures! Thats really an odd way to get rid of droning but I can see how it works.

Do you still have all that on your exhaust system? if so, that may be the clunking you're hearing.

Ripped
06-30-2009, 07:41 PM
You're welcome,

I took them off, and still had clunking. Tracked a lot of it down to the larger magnaflow mufflers. I increased the recess under the rear seat and no more banging.

The next thing is the rear shocks . The KYB (cheapo) GR-2's are way too soft and the rear suspension is bottoming out.

With a car lowered this much I need much more dampening from the shocks. Leaning towards Bilsteins or Konis.

After fixing the floor pans, I put the resonators back on and hammered it down a bumpy road.

Yeah, shocks for sure are on the agenda. I just don't want a hammering ride.

Some engine pics after I got my air filter back from the chrome shop, and installing the new aluminum rad.;

Ripped
07-11-2009, 09:41 PM
I just started working on the custom floor console, and got word that my seat covers came in.

I sold the '67 mustang seats and picked up a pair of 88 Mustang GT seats. I ordered some customized upholstery from TMI in a pattern that they were already using, but different fabric.

This pattern matches very closely the stock back seat upholstery, but of course the seats are far more comfortable. They have a power lumbar, and adjustable side bolsters as well as the adjustable thigh support.

Even in the ugly cloth these seats were way more comfortable than the stock ones. Now with the new covers and the repairs, which had to be made to the old seat foam, they feel fantastic.

I have a little gathering of the vinyl around the top of the seat back. This may be the way they are sewn, because they are both doing the same thing. Already I have most of the vinyl smoothed out. I figure I want to drive the car this weekend, and worry about tweaking the fabric later ;)

Probably will complete the wiring on the power lumbars this week.

slownova73
07-12-2009, 04:51 PM
gotta love the fastbacks!!

Ripped
07-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Working on the custom console this week. I pretty much have to make my own with the tunnel mods due to the TKO transmission,

I am adding a hidden fuse panel to accomodate all the accessories that a vintage car does not have. The stainless steel is all drilled. Hope to be starting upholstery tomorrow.

Ripped
07-17-2009, 10:35 PM
A little more work on the console tonight. It's taking a lot longer than I thought ;)

Ripped
08-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Rear brakes;

11.65 Baer Ironsport's
After the install, I can see that this is within a 1/4" of being the largest rotor I could fit on the deep 17 x 10.5 rear rims.

Testing, breaking in and troubleshooting over the next few days.

I used the templates to check, and I can fit the 14" front rotor, so that goes on the wish list.

Some pics;

BA.
08-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Great looking build man! :cool:

GT500KR_Vert
08-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Looks good.

Motown 454
08-22-2009, 01:59 PM
Nice progress and sweet car..

Ripped
08-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks guys. I am happy to report, no problems and put about 200km on the car today. Lots of stop and go steep hills etc.

After adjusting the parking brake, it actually works better than the stock drum parking brake. Even with the dash mounted hand lever.
It held the car on a moderate hill. I was surprised.

Anxious to do the fronts now

My427stang
08-23-2009, 05:53 AM
Welcome to 5th gear :)

Although the stroker is a very close second, the TKO is probably the best change I did to mine. Been driving the wheels off it for almost 3 years since the swap

Ripped
09-11-2009, 07:10 AM
Well I thought about it for a long time.

Since I quieted down the exhaust, I wished that there was a way of making it louder when I wanted to, and quiet when I didn't want to listen to the drone.

After a guy at work talked about having open headers on his truck with an electric cut out, my mind started thinking. I liked the car loud.

Then I thought about the resonator tubes. If there was a way of blocking them off.

So I made little caps, took the resonator tubes off.

Yep it was loud again. Yep, but it also droned again.

Back went on the resonator tubes.

Then i thought about open headers. What about if I put a Y-pipe in and had open headers with an electric cut out.

That would mean reworking the exhaust quite a bit.

Then I had a brighter idea, which I cannot understand didn't come to me sooner.

What if I put the electric cut outs on the resonator tubes. It would be the opposite function; open for quiet, closed for loud.

And the system would still run through the big truck 22" magnaflows, so would be completely legal and not obnoxiously loud.

So I picked up 2 electric cut outs and 2 pair of 3 bolt stainless header flange adaptors. Rewelded the resonator tubes with the three bolt flange adaptors, bolted, clamped and wired it up in about 2 hours.

It works great. All I have to do, is pull the harness up to the floor console, and I am done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijwxKDVnAec

Loud and quiet at the flick of a switch. Now I can sound like a muscle car at traffic lights, and purr like a kitten on long highway drives.

SimplyKC
09-11-2009, 01:05 PM
You could also use a nitrous window switch that opened those up at a specific RPM...and use your manual one too as needed.

Ripped
09-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Not a bad idea, thanks

Ripped
09-25-2009, 07:42 AM
Been driving the beast quite a bit. Took it to the drag strip a few weekends ago for a car show, and to be a spectator.

My car won't pass tech yet, because of the battery in the trunk and no "off" switch.

I am going to work on those issues, because I would not mind making a few passes to see what it does. Maybe next year.

I changed my blue LED's in the headlights (slightly too dim, and illegal colour) which I planned on using for daytime running lights. I switched to amber LED's which were supposed to be super bright. They were not. I am taking them back today, and used a regular amber type bulb. They're legal and much brighter.

I plan on adding air conditioning, so all the hard work I did hiding stereo components up under the dash, has to be redone. I have a smaller set of front speakers, which I'll locate in the door panel behind the factory grille. This will be stealthier than the kick panel speakers. I will weld up a small sealed/insulated speaker enclosure and mount for them. The front tweeters are still mounted discreetly behind the headliner, so those will still be used.

I also have a small inline amp to mount and base filters. This is all going to be hidden. I want the car to look more retro.

On the performance end of things, I am expecting to have the front brake kit in a couple of weeks. A few days ago I ordered a Bilstein shock package. That should arrive at the same time. I was going to get Konis for the "vintage look" but talking to a few track guys convinced me otherwise.

Weather is still good, so more crusing this weekend!

Ripped
10-02-2009, 12:36 PM
So a lot of work happened on the stereo over the past few days. I removed the front kick panel speakers, for a couple reasons. One they are getting in the way of my feet. Two they will be in the way of the a/c system ducts, when I add it.

I was a little concerned that when I changed from 6.25 to 4 x 6 speakers, I would lose a lot of sound capability. The discreet tweeters, that I have hidden in the headliner, are staying, though.

So here are the changes. The 4x6's go behind the factory grilles, and the kick panels go. This makes the stereo system completely hidden, other than the head unit. I like that.

I also added stinger bass blockers to the front and rear speakers. 600hz on the fronts and 300hz on the 6x9's on the back.

This is the first time for me using bass blockers, and I am sold.
I have used electronic crossovers on multi-amp systems, but never these bass blockers.

The amp I used is Alpine's ktp-445, which is essentially an plug and play amp, connecting between the head unit and speakers, a simple 2 minute install.

After setting the eq, fader and sub, I was blown away. this is the best, by far car stereo system I have ever had. I have had lots of multi-amp, multi speaker systems, that cost far more money, and should have been way better.

The only thing I am going to change is the speaker enclosures in the back, for the 6x9's sound a little tight (small). So I am going to remake those and change the dampening, which should richen them up a bit more.

Like I said, the best thing is, other than the head unit and opening the trunk, everything is hidden.

Probably over the winter, I'll detail out the trunk and make some nice panels to go around the amps etc.

Ripped
10-10-2009, 05:42 PM
I picked up the Bilstein shocks on Friday, and after about 3-4 hours had the old KYB GR2's out and the new shocks in.

Driving around today, I have to say that the shocks make a huge difference. Tonight I want to hit a couple of bumps that used to cause the car to bottom out and one other that caused a real hammering noise.

Some of these might not be fixable with the lowered suspension. Hopefully things will be okay.

I am planning, either a dry sump system for the engine, or a custom welded pan. The big aluminum cobra tee pan is a little too low for comfort.

One other project for the winter will be to modify the exhaust pipes between the headers and mufflers. They can tuck up tighter, but need to be modified to do so. They had also hit on some ramps and speed bumps.

The new firmer shocks should stop the pipes from bouncing down and hitting.

After the shocks were done, I headed out to the 'burbs and picked up a battery box and shut off switch. I am getting started on making the car track legal.

It was a great day and supposed to be sunny all weekend, so I am going to be driving it a lot, while the weather lasts ;)

Ripped
10-17-2009, 11:35 AM
Shocks:

Electric cut outs on the two resonator tubes;

Ripped
11-20-2009, 07:19 AM
After waiting since August the brake kit finally arrived. I had to do a little machining on the rim/hub but it was pretty easy.
One side is done already. Over the weekend, the other side, then bleed, then wait for good weather.

Old Brakes

Ripped
12-23-2009, 01:52 PM
I was having problems with the car's handling.

Something was majorly f-d up.

In the end, it turns out the alignment shop which spent extra time on my car, because they did not know WTF they were doing, did not tighten dowm the camber eccentric. It came loose, thus the front end was dangerously screwed up.

I ended up deciding to order my own alignment tool from summit.
Bumpsteer kit
Street or Track adjustable strut rod kit, which eliminates the rubber strut bushings and allows fiction free articulation of the strut via the heim joint.

Putting the parts on was easy.

Doing the bumpsteer measurments and adjustments was very time consuming (10 hours +/-)

Doing my own home alignment was not really all that hard. I was careful to make levelling blocks so the car sits perfectly flat (used my laser level)
I even got the steering wheel perfectly centered first time :)

Bumpsteer was a process unto itself. 1st I had to remove the shocks and springs one side at a time, and the sway bar.

I then set up the laser on a vertical axis, with two targets on my angle about 40" apart (further apart for more accurate measurments)

Then it was up/down -change shims
up/down -change shims
etc
etc
Then plug the numbers into a spreadsheet and see what looked the best.
I think the final bump and final droop, were mostly throw-away numbers, even though they were not bad. It is not too likely the car will reach full droop in real world driving. and full bump may find spring bind, before it reaches that point.

Despite all that, the final numbers are very good.

Anyone thinking of doing this, it's worth it!

Ripped
12-25-2009, 07:23 PM
I took all my kids out on Christmas eve for a go at driving the beast. I especially wanted to get a video of my youngest son (who is on leave from the army) driving "Thunder"
No bottoming out on bumpy roads with the new shocks and 4 adults in the car.

Then dad had a turn. The exhaust note might be a little too quiet, though. I'll have to fix that ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HIm1pgVYCg

My427stang
12-25-2009, 07:48 PM
Do you really have a 2.78 rear gear?

If so, make a 3.70 your next bet, with a 5 speed you need some gear.

If I remember right, you have a 3.27 1st gear? If so go with 3.50's or 3.70's, otherwise 1st will get real short.

If you have a 2.87 1st, go with 3.89 or 4.11. That thing will feel like a monster.

BTW, I think it sounds just right, that exhaust has a great sound

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/12/Burn-1.jpg

Ripped
12-25-2009, 11:31 PM
Do you really have a 2.78 rear gear?

If so, make a 3.70 your next bet, with a 5 speed you need some gear.

If I remember right, you have a 3.27 1st gear? If so go with 3.50's or 3.70's, otherwise 1st will get real short.

If you have a 2.87 1st, go with 3.89 or 4.11. That thing will feel like a monster.

BTW, I think it sounds just right, that exhaust has a great sound

Yeah, 2.70 (or 2.8, or 2.78 something like that I never counted the teeth) The idea was to make a nice high speed highway cruiser. Which it is, turning about 1600 rpms @ 70mph.

The plan, now (since we have no road courses here) is to take it to the strip a few times this coming summer. I am going to make it track legal, if I can. I have the battery enclosure kit and shut off, to install in the trunk, already.

Next is reinforcing the welding around the underrider traction bars, add a good driveshaft loop.

I have a real nice set of 3.50 gears, so I was thinking of getting a second pumpkin, with a locker

I don't know what kind of tires to use. The street radials I have are wide, but not grippy.
Some guys have told me MT drag radials, others Nitto (which have better sizing) and others to use full slicks.

Any opinions on this? BFG's??

CruizinKev
12-26-2009, 02:54 AM
sounds good :twothumbs

My427stang
12-26-2009, 07:36 AM
Yeah, 2.70 (or 2.8, or 2.78 something like that I never counted the teeth) The idea was to make a nice high speed highway cruiser. Which it is, turning about 1600 rpms @ 70mph.

The plan, now (since we have no road courses here) is to take it to the strip a few times this coming summer. I am going to make it track legal, if I can. I have the battery enclosure kit and shut off, to install in the trunk, already.

Next is reinforcing the welding around the underrider traction bars, add a good driveshaft loop.

I have a real nice set of 3.50 gears, so I was thinking of getting a second pumpkin, with a locker

I don't know what kind of tires to use. The street radials I have are wide, but not grippy.
Some guys have told me MT drag radials, others Nitto (which have better sizing) and others to use full slicks.

Any opinions on this? BFG's??

I don't have any solid advice, my car is slippery as hell with new BFG T/A, even at 275/60. Doesn't hop but will roast them well into highway speeds.

However, if I remember right you swapped to a TKO-500? Is that right?

With that being said, your 5th gear with a .68 and a 2.87 gear is equiv to a 4 speed with a 1.95 gear ratio out back.

Changing to a 3.50 would get you a total gear of 2.38, that's almost exactly where I am with my FE, and at 70 you will be at approx 2100 rpm

The key though is with your motor, I will guarantee that it is happier and more efficient at just a slightly higher rpm, matter of fact, although I use my car for almost all long-run, high speed, highway use, I am considering a 4.11 because I run 28 inch tall tires and a .64 OD vice your .68.

I think the 3.50 gear with a good diff would really make you happy and probably give you better mileage and drivability.

Ripped
12-26-2009, 11:35 AM
sounds good
Thanks Kev, Nice MonteCarlo

I don't have any solid advice, my car is slippery as hell with new BFG T/A, even at 275/60. Doesn't hop but will roast them well into highway speeds.

However, if I remember right you swapped to a TKO-500? Is that right?

With that being said, your 5th gear with a .68 and a 2.87 gear is equiv to a 4 speed with a 1.95 gear ratio out back.

Changing to a 3.50 would get you a total gear of 2.38, that's almost exactly where I am with my FE, and at 70 you will be at approx 2100 rpm

The key though is with your motor, I will guarantee that it is happier and more efficient at just a slightly higher rpm, matter of fact, although I use my car for almost all long-run, high speed, highway use, I am considering a 4.11 because I run 28 inch tall tires and a .64 OD vice your .68.

I think the 3.50 gear with a good diff would really make you happy and probably give you better mileage and drivability.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. Yes it's the TKO 5. But we have this nice long highway where a coworker of mine regularly travels. It seems like a heckuva lot of people travel at 140kph. I don't advocate going over the speed limit, but at 110kph/70mph with the current gearing and the exhaust switched to 'quiet', the car is really quiet inside. Almost civilized.

1800-2000 rpm is a really nice place for the current cam that I have 270s)

My current gearing puts me at 1733 rpm at 70mph,
and in theory;
1980 rpm @ 80
2228 @ 90
2460 @ 100

I think the 3.50 gear (in my mind) is strictly for the track. I would not be able to put the power to the pavement on the street

Ripped
01-14-2010, 09:28 AM
Getting track ready, battery box and switch and

Raised the X-Pipe on the exhaust 2" higher (tagged this thing numerous times) had to use heat and a BFH to modify the exhaust in some places to gain the clearance (lowered cars have their issues)

I also raised the rest of the exhaust 3", and went back to a smaller muffler;

Next comes the driveshaft loop and oil pan (whic I tagged once)
I have a new one in the moroso box in the pics, which is 1" less deep than the cobra Tee pan;

fordsbyjay
01-14-2010, 12:04 PM
That is a sharp looking car. I like the mods.

jackfrost
01-15-2010, 07:57 AM
I think you need a new camera, man. all your pics are blurry.

cool project, tho! :razz:

John Wright
01-15-2010, 08:14 AM
OK, I gotta ask....what is the 3"-4" ducting routed through the trunk for? Is it cool air ducting to the rear brakes?

Ripped
01-17-2010, 04:29 PM
That is a sharp looking car. I like the mods

I think you need a new camera, man. all your pics are blurry.

cool project, tho!
Yes I am not a pro camera guy, had the wrong settings.

OK, I gotta ask....what is the 3"-4" ducting routed through the trunk for? Is it cool air ducting to the rear brakes?
Yes. Regular Shelbys of the day ducted air from the side scoops to blow onto the rear tires (pointless.) These ducts discharge over the pumpkin, then are going to be ducted through to the center of the rear discs (with the exhaust work soon to be complete.) The way that it should be.

Ripped
02-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Hopefully I'll be picking up my Borgeson power steering conversion, mid next week. There are not any reviews from Mustang users, but the C2 and C3 'vette guys have had really good results with this PS conversion.

I would have a lot of trouble with the TCP rack, since my car is real low.

I am using a Summit (chrome) sagenaw pump. I'll need to fabricate some brackets for this. No one makes a FE bracket for this setup.

I have a new Steering wheel, and Flaming River (tilt) column, which is all going in together at the same time.

Anyway pics and feedback, in a couple weeks

jro183
02-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the updates. Lots of work for sure.

Ripped
02-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Okay here are most of the goodies. I think this is going to be a pretty big little project. Should be interesting. Lots of different variables, fittings and bracketry to make.

garner67
02-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Hopefully I'll be picking up my Borgeson power steering conversion, mid next week. There are not any reviews from Mustang users, but the C2 and C3 'vette guys have had really good results with this PS conversion.

I would have a lot of trouble with the TCP rack, since my car is real low.

I am using a Summit (chrome) sagenaw pump. I'll need to fabricate some brackets for this. No one makes a FE bracket for this setup.

I have a new Steering wheel, and Flaming River (tilt) column, which is all going in together at the same time.

Anyway pics and feedback, in a couple weeks

Sweet. I've been looking at the Borgeson PS conversion. Looking forward to hearing your experiences with the Borgeson PS unit install AND driving experience.

Dalamar
02-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Great looking car! I love how clean your engine bay is.

I was just looking at my build and thinking I wanted to align it myself. Interested in how you did yours.
Great work.

Nice wheel, and How's the sound?

BA.
02-11-2010, 07:47 PM
Lookin good man!!

Ripped
02-20-2010, 02:45 PM
... and How's the sound?

I'm not sure what you're asking, sound of the car?

The steering system work continues.
I mounted the box and had to pound on the #8 header tube more. Had to also grind the shock tower reinforcing plate, as well.

Box is mounted, column is mounted, wheel is on, sort of. I am having problems with the flaming river column, mating to the grant adaptor.

Next I am picking up some custom p/s lines this afternoon, and will hopefully complete the fabrication of the pump bracket.

Some pics;

Ripped
02-22-2010, 09:52 AM
okay, after a long weekend of slaving away, they system, is in completed and working leak free.

All in all, it's a great upgrade from manual steering, and the old factory slush boxes.

Overall I really like the conversion. I drove the car a lot in the last 12 hours. I'd probably prefer just a little bit more road feel at highway speeds, but it's not one finger steering either.

The upside over a power - rack and pinion conversion is;
cost 30-50%
no wheel alignment required after install.
factory appearance
factory steering linkage
full turing radius
full ground clearance

This conversion will not work with the stock Z bar / 4 speed configuration
Big blocks are going to require finessing with a ginder and BFH

I'll give the borgeson conversion the same rating as the C2-C3 'vette guys.
Only thing is, if I make driving this car too easy, it's going to feel much too civilized
;)

Dalamar
02-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Those are some nice upgrades!

Ripped
03-31-2010, 10:06 AM
Those are some nice upgrades!
Thanks, I've been following your project closely, impressive work!

A few things to report.
I've been driving a lot, tracking down a few oil leaking issues.
I think I am getting closer to having all of them solved, but won't know for sure until I drive it more, when the weather gets better.

The power steering box is seeping fluid from a seal, so it looks like that is coming out.

I ordered air conditioning for the car, but have only 1/2 the parts so far (rest is backordered) and have not started that.

I also had the car out on a medium length cruise, and put it through it's paces, just a little ;)

I noticed the tramlining is much less, but still a little bothersome.

I decided to check the balljoints, and even though they supposedly had only 20K, I noticed that the upper is shot on one side, and lower and upper on the other side.

I decided after that to order the Total Control, upper and lower suspension arms.
http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/upper.html

http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/lower.html

So... all in all, it means maybe the paint has been pushed back, a little, but the suspension should all be 100% now, or at least after I get it done.

I have a lot of work ahead of me now ;)

Ripped
04-05-2010, 07:15 PM
UPS guy brought some parts for the toy today;

Ripped
05-12-2010, 07:13 AM
If anything, this car is consistent. Nothing is easy.

Engine has come out for the 4th time, because the rear main seal is pissing oil.

My engine guy is coming by tonight and it will be fixed (hopefully)

The advantage, if there is one, is that it gives me a chance to re and re the suspension components easier.
So last night I did the passenger side and replaced the stock (worn ball joint suspension) with the TCP stuff.

It went very well, and took only a couple hours to do.

I am thinking that the adjustability of the UCA, will give me the ability to gain some upper fender lip clearance.

I am also planning on removing some material from the backside of the wheel center to improve the scrub radius a little bit.

Hoping to have it on the raod again in a couple weeks

Ripped
05-20-2010, 09:24 AM
If it's any consolation, I guess that I caught the issue, before it became something major, like a spun bearing or a bent rod, broken crank etc.:drive2:

I think I am going to run an oil accumulator, from this point forward.

Bad thing, is I still don't get to drive it, and its another sunny long weekend coming up :crying:

picture of the failed bearing;

Krazed
05-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Oy! I know how you feel! Ive rebuilt my engine twice in the last two years because of random things like that! (in my case, bad oil pump)

Hang in there! It's always worth it in the end when its running and you're driving it everywhere.

Ripped
05-27-2010, 09:50 PM
A lot of sweat, oily hands and sore back nights, to get back to this point.

I want to start it up again, while it is out of the car, to verify that there are no oil leaks.

Maybe in a few more nights...

79PonchoUK
05-28-2010, 01:11 AM
If it's any consolation, I guess that I caught the issue, before it became something major, like a spun bearing or a bent rod, broken crank etc.:drive2:

I think I am going to run an oil accumulator, from this point forward.

Bad thing, is I still don't get to drive it, and its another sunny long weekend coming up :crying:

picture of the failed bearing;

Oil surge?

I've done exactly the same on 3 engines. You'd think I'd learn from the first, definitely the second time.

No, I assumed the second one had been built properly...it hadn't.

Rebuilt that one myself and fitted a gated sump...thought everything was fine but it just lost pressure for a second and now I have a noisy bearing again.

I too will probably go with an accusump and want a proven, well tested gated sump to go with it.

Ripped
05-28-2010, 08:14 AM
Oil surge?

I've done exactly the same on 3 engines. You'd think I'd learn from the first, definitely the second time.

No, I assumed the second one had been built properly...it hadn't.

Rebuilt that one myself and fitted a gated sump...thought everything was fine but it just lost pressure for a second and now I have a noisy bearing again.

I too will probably go with an accusump and want a proven, well tested gated sump to go with it.

It's some consolation, knowing that guys like you have struggled with bad luck engine/ bearing scenarios too, but it's not fun doing the same thing over and over again.

Does the pontiac have the same bearing layout as the chev? Example smaller mains, and then the connecting rod bearings show the failure sooner?

Like you said, it sounds like the oil accumulator, is really a necessary piece of insurance, for a big $ engine.

I was kind of worried about the possibility of 3 quarts of excess oil slopping around in the crankcase, if the accumulator discharged, but I should really be more worried about a momentary air pocket in the oil system.

A little bit of extra oil, is only going to rob a little horsepower. No oil pressure, is going to break the engine again.

Ripped
05-31-2010, 08:54 PM
Well finally the engine is together and after about 3 hours of messing around, the stubborn thing fired up:jump:

I was pretty pissed of there for a while.

I made a much more elaborate run-up stand, so i can check everything, and check for oil leaks, etc. before dropping it into the car.

So far so good.

I made kind of a tongue in cheek video, this time, to kind of bring to a close all of those long nights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKW0YYovqHA

Ripped
06-01-2010, 09:06 AM
Actually it sounds like there may be a connecting rod issue. There is definitely some knocking, which initially, I thought was a lifter adjustment issue... I'm not so sure, now

s#it:machine::machine::machine:I think I'll just shoot myself now

all the mains and rod journals were mic'd, so I can't figure out what went wrong?

ProjectSideOiler
06-02-2010, 07:09 AM
Actually it sounds like there may be a connecting rod issue. There is definitely some knocking, which initially, I thought was a lifter adjustment issue... I'm not so sure, now

s#it:machine::machine::machine:I think I'll just shoot myself now

all the mains and rod journals were mic'd, so I can't figure out what went wrong?

Does sound like a rod knock. I would venture to say you have a rod thats out of round out of spec somehow. What rods are you using? Another possible is your crank journals have out of round, taper etc.

Ripped
06-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Well I am happier now, after putting mufflers on the test stand and rechecking.

Turns out that the connecting rods are hitting the windage tray.

I dimpled the tray, over the horizontal section of the oil pickup, because of the fact that the tray was contacting the pick-up. I didn't want any undue force on the pickup, or oil pump (especially after the previous oiling issues)

Anyway off comes the oil pan and windage tray, I'll cut out or modify the section.

Should be good, I hope.

John Wright
06-02-2010, 09:17 AM
whew!...that is something that you can deal with fairly inexpensively....

Rybar
06-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Hey man, something just clicked in my head when I viewed this thread today. I am sorry I haven't checked it out until today, but we are local to eachother.

I remembered your car one night driving west on Hastings street in Burnaby. I was right next to you in my SUV. Your car looked and sounded great, it was a few months back.

I also recognized the Vancouver special houses in the background of the pics lol.

Good luck with your build, if you ever need a hand shoot me a PM.

- Ryan

Ripped
06-02-2010, 12:46 PM
whew!...that is something that you can deal with fairly inexpensively....
Yeah, thankfully. I was really stressing about having to haul the crankshaft out again :( Fortunately it only was $100-150 for gaskets, 10 litres new oil, filter, zinc additive.

I don't think I'll flip the engine, to install the pan, though, this time. Otherwise I have to take off the bellhousing/flywheel etc

Hey man, something just clicked in my head when I viewed this thread today. I am sorry I haven't checked it out until today, but we are local to eachother.

I remembered your car one night driving west on Hastings street in Burnaby. I was right next to you in my SUV. Your car looked and sounded great, it was a few months back.

I also recognized the Vancouver special houses in the background of the pics lol.

Good luck with your build, if you ever need a hand shoot me a PM.

- Ryan

Sure, cool Ryan, yeah, anytime you want to pass by and shoot the bull, drop me an email or PM and we'll get in touch

I was sure hoping to be in full paint, by now, just have to get this engine buttoned up, and a few other things, before it's ready for paint.

LOL on the Vancouver 'specials'

Great car BTW, hope to see it in person!

Ripped
06-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Another long night, re and re-ing the oil pan and windage tray, cleaning gaskets and sealant.

I am completely wasted, but I have it all filled up with oil, and water and am ready to prime it, and start it up again after work tomorrow.

i did hit the nail on the head. The windage tray had a scape mark in it from the #1/#5 connecting rod bolts.

I pounded it down quite a bit. Funny that it was not at the area around the oil pickup tube. It was ahead of that slightly. I guess I deformed the windage tray slightly there, as a result of my clearancing.

Oh well, lesson learned. At least it was not a bearing issue.

Gitter Dun
06-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Just noticed your thread tonight. Hope you squash the gremlins soon. My body is at a point where the pain is not so bad anymore, LOL. Boy this hobby can be rough at times.

Ripped
06-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Just noticed your thread tonight. Hope you squash the gremlins soon. My body is at a point where the pain is not so bad anymore, LOL. Boy this hobby can be rough at times.

I hope I squashed them all! Anyway the windage tray gremlin, seems to be put to bed.:)

Somepics of the windage tray;

After work i ran it in again. All seems to be okay;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayF5s-TTG7I

So I am going to try and put in a long night tonight and drop it in the car again.
:candle:
Hopefully all goes according to plan

Ripped
06-04-2010, 07:01 AM
As usual, things that I anticipate, taking a short period of time always take longer when working on this car.
Case in point; Completing the install of the a/c plenum, which was paritally done, i anticpated taking about 30-45 minutes, then the rest of the time I would use on engine installation.
Nope.
I worked all night on the a/c plenum, and still didn't get it completed.
The only thing I did get was scratches, cuts, scrapes and gashes on my arms, forearms and hands. I even got one on my leg. Don't ask me how I got that one? I was wearing jeans, and my leg was not in the dash. :confused: at least I don't think that it was?

ProjectSideOiler
06-04-2010, 11:34 AM
I hope I squashed them all! Anyway the windage tray gremlin, seems to be put to bed.:)

Somepics of the windage tray;

After work i ran it in again. All seems to be okay;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayF5s-TTG7I

So I am going to try and put in a long night tonight and drop it in the car again.
:candle:
Hopefully all goes according to plan

Great News! Happy to hear it was not more serious.

Ripped
06-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Great News! Happy to hear it was not more serious.

Definitely good news in the big scheme of things. Still didn't like it, but easier than a bearing problem.

I spent the night, trying to get the a/c system buttonedup and drop the motor in.

2nd part didn't happen again :( but in retrospect, I did get some of the extra wairing tucked away and the control cables for the a/c adjusted properly. I also pretty much finalized the wiring for the a/c, other than the clutch on the engine and a larger fuse for the power.

So... this time, I am hoping to get a good night in tomorrow and drop the engine in....

I should be close now, I have the a/c issues fairly well sorted out.

Keep your fingers crossed ;)

Ripped
06-09-2010, 07:14 AM
Man, I think I'd rather take the engine in and out 5 times, than install this air conditioning set up.

I'm taking my time, and being careful, but it's really a big challenge. I have scrapes and gashes on my forearms to testify to that.

I just hope that I have not jarred any wiring loose under the dash.

On the flip side, I took a break from the a/c install and dropped the engine back in the hole. With the help of my kid, I got most everything done under the car. Tonight, I only have to check fluids, and then drop the rad back into the car.

Possibly even have it rumbling to life later tonight. Wheel re-alignment, and should be ready to go for the weekend, if the weather holds.

Gitter Dun
06-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Glad to hear you are moving forward, I really like the look of the car. Hopefully will be a a comfortable PT cruiser with that AC.

Ripped
06-09-2010, 11:11 PM
Glad to hear you are moving forward, I really like the look of the car. Hopefully will be a a comfortable PT cruiser with that AC.

All to keep the wife happy and cool during hot summer cruises. :drive1:

That big block throws a lot of heat into the car, in stop and go summer traffic. LOL

Made a lot of progress tonight, engine in, started, turned it around in the garage, set it on my alignment blocks, changed out the eccentrics, for a set of eccentric elimnators, that I made myself.

Seems like the car sits, just a tad lower, with the new suspension parts. I'll have to watch that, and make sure that I am not too low again.

I should have the alignment completed by tomorrow night easy. I won't re-do the bumpsteer adjustment, until I have a good idea about the stance, and spring height.

Feels good ;) do have all that work behind me.

Gitter Dun
06-10-2010, 05:11 PM
Lets see some pics.

Ripped
06-10-2010, 09:31 PM
Lets see some pics.

You got it ;)

The alignment process took most of the night. With the new suspension components, everything was way off specification.

Anyway I took it for a drive, and it feels good, with the new TCP/ Alston Chassiworks stuff. Very nice feel, even on a short drive.

I nailed the steering center exactly (thats what I used the laser for) as the upper control arms are shorter (adjustable) than stock.

I want to shave a few mm off of the wheel hub, inside to reduce my scrub radius a little. That will be next week.

A few little tweaks to do, and it should be good to go for the weekend, if the weather holds.

Gitter Dun
06-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Your teasing man, lets see shot of whole car.

John Wright
06-11-2010, 03:28 AM
Anyway I took it for a drive,

Sweet. I hope that I can say that one day about my old bucket-O-bolts

Ripped
06-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Your teasing man, lets see shot of whole car.
ok OK! :)

Should look nicer, when it's not in primer LOL

Sweet. I hope that I can say that one day about my old bucket-O-bolts
Your making alot of progress.... it won't be long, keep pluggin away!

Gitter Dun
06-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Still looks good, how's paint schedule looking? What colors?

montessaj
06-12-2010, 02:08 AM
Ripped,

Have you tried blue LEDs in those head/fog lights? I think that would look sick.

montessaj
06-12-2010, 02:10 AM
I feel dumb.... just went back and looked at the first post. My bad.

Ripped
06-12-2010, 07:46 AM
Ripped,

Have you tried blue LEDs in those head/fog lights? I think that would look sick.

Yeah, everyone thinks the blue looks better. The LED's that I had in there before were actually sort of dim in the day light. Kind of hard to see.

At night they looked cool, but not bright enough to use as anything other than a show light. I was constantly replacing them, also. Did't seem to last.

I decided to use the amber colour, becuase it is street legal, and much brighter with the large (parking light) bulbs.

I was contantly getting cut in front of, or cut off, by bad drivers. Running the 4 amber lights as daytime running lights, I actually don't get cut off as much.

Seriously, the DUMB and STUPID:hmm: divers see me coming and wait sometimes. I noticed it right away, fter running the brighter lights. I'd say I get cut off 25% less than with no lights or the blue lights.

Decent, especially when your front end is all fiberglass:)

I feel dumb.... just went back and looked at the first post. My bad.

I agree with you 100% Blue looks nicer.

Maybe if I run HID's, I'll figure out a bluish running light that stays within the legal colour spectrum.

Any ideas??

BTW did you notice the stance, difference? I am about 1.5 inches lower on the front, than the 1st picture.

montessaj
06-12-2010, 09:50 PM
I did notice the lower stance. It looks alot better! I saw your garage on garage journal, I dig it.

Z06killinSBF
06-13-2010, 03:31 AM
Sorry I missed this one but the car is looking great. I wish I had some of the nice things you have on there. I agree about the AC, what a pain. I need to drop mine as my cables run into things and arent adjusted properly. Nice car and I can't wait to see it in paint.

Dalamar
06-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Nice progress.

HID's are a great way to go. 6000K on up gives you a little blue/purpleish light

Ripped
06-21-2010, 09:00 PM
HID's on the wishlist... ;)

Had a great few days of driving the car.

Looks like the slave and/or master cylinder for the hydraulic clutch is leaking.

I pulled both out tonight, and ordered a rebuild kit for the slave cylinder. I'll rebuild the old one and save it as a spare.

I want to also modify the pushrod on the master cylinder by getting a proper rod end.

at the same time, i hauled out the borgeson steering box, to send back for a new seal. It's a bit of a task, but not too bad.

Maybe in a couple weeks I'll have it backon the road and leaks all buttoned up.

John Wright
06-22-2010, 03:21 AM
Had a great few days of driving the car.

Maybe in a couple weeks I'll have it backon the road and leaks all buttoned up.Keep after it, sounds like you are getting all of the little bugs worked out. Then you can enjoy the heck out of it.

Ripped
06-23-2010, 08:33 PM
Keep after it, sounds like you are getting all of the little bugs worked out. Then you can enjoy the heck out of it.

Yeah, you are right.

One of the "little bugs" was the 40+ year old front turn signal housings were NFG, corroded, and otherwise f-d up.

I picked up the parts I needed, and after rebuilding and installing the clutch slave cylinder, and new master, I hooked up the new lights. I decided to keep with the daytime running light theme and got some 2357 bulbs, to match the other amber lights.

I'd love blue, but the amber keeps me street legal.

Just have to get the power steering box repaired, and I'll be ready to go again, I hope. (keeping in mind this car always has me jinxed)

garner67
06-24-2010, 11:40 PM
I installed some blue HID head lights in my car, but I didn't like them. On long drives the blue color messed with my night vision (maybe i'm just getting old?!). I prefer plain ol' bright white halogen head lights, and I love my Hella driving lights!

Ripped
06-25-2010, 05:22 AM
I installed some blue HID head lights in my car, but I didn't like them. On long drives the blue color messed with my night vision (maybe i'm just getting old?!). I prefer plain ol' bright white halogen head lights, and I love my Hella driving lights!

Funny that you mentioned it...

how would you say the hella's perform, compared to say the high$$ PIAA's etc.

I was just loking at driving lights last night PIAA's were almost $300

garner67
06-25-2010, 08:18 AM
Funny that you mentioned it...

how would you say the hella's perform, compared to say the high$$ PIAA's etc.

I was just loking at driving lights last night PIAA's were almost $300

I've never had a car with the high dollar PIAA's, but I am very happy with the Hella Black Magic Driving Lights (http://www.adventureaccessories.com/lighting%20pages/hellablk_mgc.html).
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/06/Magic_Off200-1.jpg
I think the lighting output performance is excellent, so much so I had to redirect my lights, because I was annoying oncoming traffic.
Also, I like how the light's reflectors are black when switched off. It makes them a little less prominent in the grille.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/06/23791070226_large-1.jpg
However, they weren't that cheap. I paid just over $200 for a complete kit.

Ripped
07-08-2010, 02:41 PM
I've never had a car with the high dollar PIAA's, but I am very happy with the Hella Black Magic Driving Lights (http://www.adventureaccessories.com/lighting%20pages/hellablk_mgc.html).
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/06/Magic_Off200-1.jpg
I think the lighting output performance is excellent, so much so I had to redirect my lights, because I was annoying oncoming traffic.
Also, I like how the light's reflectors are black when switched off. It makes them a little less prominent in the grille.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/06/23791070226_large-1.jpg
However, they weren't that cheap. I paid just over $200 for a complete kit.

Thanks for the info, great looking 'stang BTW

--
Back from a bit of a caribbean getaway, and looks like we brought the hot weather back with us :P

Good day today, got a phone call from the wheel shop. They completed the machining of the hub / mating surface of the front wheels, which will improve a few things, reduce my scrub radius, improve my tire to fender clearance (rubs in some circumstances) and improve my lug nut 'bite' otherwise I would have needed longer studs.

When I got my wheels home, UPS delivered my replacement steering box from Borgeson (these guys have great customer service)

So tonight, I'll bolt it back in, hook everything up, and be ready to drive in a couple hours ;)

Ripped
07-17-2010, 07:49 PM
It's been at least a couple of weeks of hard work getting the engine side of the air conditioning installed.

Customizing brackets, that were supposed to fit, modifying fittings that were supposed to fit, changing fan belts that were supposed to fit.

So it's all together. Pulley system works fine. A/C needs to be charged and have the pressure.
I was wonering if I could do it myself with the auto shop recharge kits?

I need to back off the timing a little, getting a slight ping while cruising.

Pressure from the wife made me remove the amber driving lamps. I went to cheapo H4 blue bulb, so the driving lights (clear) have a very slight blue tint through the blue dot tri bars.

My connectors on theTKO neutral safety switch are slightly loose and gave me trouble again today. Car would not start, and I had to use a jumper in the engine bay to bypass it.

It looks like the threads are metric, so I did not have any small nuts to permanently attach the wires to the transmisson. I replaced the push on connectors with new ones. I hope that works for a while.

I bought some medium priced small oval fog/driving lights, that I thought I would use. After placeing them, on the car, approximately where I think they should go, I decided that I didn't really like they way that they looked. So much for that.

John Wright
07-19-2010, 03:58 AM
If the A/C lines have been opened or the pressures have been anywhere close to zero....you will need a vaccum pump to evacuate, before you can charge the system. Otherwise the compressor will not last very long.

chunger
07-19-2010, 06:30 AM
Thanks for the info, great looking 'stang BTW

--
...UPS delivered my replacement steering box from Borgeson (these guys have great customer service)

So tonight, I'll bolt it back in, hook everything up, and be ready to drive in a couple hours ;)

What happened with your steering box? I saw on VMF that you had installed a Borgeson box - was it giving you trouble? I'm in the process of finishing up my Borgeson install on my Ranchero and am wondering if I should anticipate any issues with it?

Ripped
07-19-2010, 09:00 PM
What happened with your steering box? I saw on VMF that you had installed a Borgeson box - was it giving you trouble? I'm in the process of finishing up my Borgeson install on my Ranchero and am wondering if I should anticipate any issues with it?
Leaking

If the A/C lines have been opened or the pressures have been anywhere close to zero....you will need a vaccum pump to evacuate, before you can charge the system. Otherwise the compressor will not last very long
Thanks, I am not going to hook up the compressor switch until it is all tested

----
A nice surprise tonight. i noticed my headlights were looking cloudy, like there was moisture in them.

Turns out the new bulbs were too hot for the plastic housings. Started melting things. I am lucky I didn't go for the piaa bulbs or I'd have a wad of molten plastic.

I am in the process of looking for a replacement. Well four replacements to be exact. I haven't ruled out hid's , if the actual bulb temp. is lower than the h4's.

So I have melted LEDS and heat damaged housings... nice

garner67
07-21-2010, 10:43 AM

Leaking

Where was the box leaking from?

Ripped
07-24-2010, 10:01 PM
Where was the box leaking from?

Seal on the steering input shaft. The replacement works fine.

----

I took the beast on on a long (group) cruise today. Probably 275 - 300 miles highway driving.

I put it through it's paces, in a civilized way. Everything worked perfectly and my gas mileage was a lot better than I expected.

I think the sender on the fuel gauge is not that accurate. At just under 1/2 tank indicated, it takes about 6 - 6.5 gallons to fill and it's a 22 gallon tank.

I'm happy with how things went, though

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/07/DSC00962-1.jpg

Gitter Dun
07-24-2010, 10:23 PM
Glad to hear you on the road again. :twothumbs

chunger
07-25-2010, 07:25 AM
Looks like nice country. Whereabouts are you?

Ripped
07-25-2010, 08:04 AM
Glad to hear you on the road again. :twothumbs

Thanks, and trouble free (keeping my fingers crossed)

Looks like nice country. Whereabouts are you?
BC Canada.
I was REALLY looking forward to this cruise. Lots of variety. Straight stretches, and canyon curves, long sweeping curve, nice drive, if only the Bud Girls, and their curves, were there LOL

Ripped
07-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Yesterday, I redid the weather stripping around the top of the windows.
Just pushing it into the channel, as suggested, and as the factory did it... well it was not working. I tried to salvage the seals, with some contact cement, but no luck.

So new seals and a little bit of black slilicone in behind, to keep them in place. So far everything looks good. The seals fit much nicer and are staying in place, this time.

This was in anticipation of driving around with the windows rolled up and air conditioning.

So took the car into the a/c place. I am keeping my fingers crossed as they have ordered a fitting (one was bad/leaking) that I will have an operational a/c system tonight.

Which means....

PREP FOR FINAL PAINT....:yeah:

Now I gotta start saving my $ for a full time security guard!

ModernMuseum
07-28-2010, 06:32 PM
nice pics!

Ripped
07-29-2010, 07:04 AM
nice pics!

Thanks, I was very excited to be part of this mustang cruise. We are blessed with some fantastic scenery and great highways that can be fun with a pro-touring themed car.

Love your firebird BTW... gorgeous

----

Got the air conditioning charged up yesterday and the shop had to do quite a bit of work in replacing a bad line.

It took them all day, but it's all hooked up and working perfectly.

Next week, I am going to start blocking out the high build primer on the fiberglass hood, trunk and other parts, in preparation for paint.

Ripped
08-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Well underway with the final block sanding of the high build primer;

I noticed while sanding, that one of the new headlights is smashed.

It might have happened on the cruise. There were a lot of rocks flying on the road.

Ripped
08-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Getting excited now.

I phoned the body shop, yesterday. It does not sound like they are very busy.

Last night I took all the scoops off removed the front fascia, spoiler extensions. Did some minor repairs, then blocked everything down, 220, 320, 500, 1000

The fiberglass parts look super straight, and super smooth. All those long 2 years of bodywork (metal fab and block sanding) may yet pay off ;)

Bagged all the parts, and am dropping them off at the body shop in an hour.

I only have a few things to get ready on the chassis, and it should be ready to go to the shop on Monday next week.

I don't know how long it will take them, but I am VERY excited.

The finish line is getting closer....

Z06killinSBF
08-13-2010, 10:24 AM
:fingersx:

Ripped
08-17-2010, 04:11 PM
All apart again and off to the body shop. I am going to try not to bug them too much. I did 'hint' that there were a couple of late summer early fall car show that I'd love to take it to.

It's going to be a lot of fun driving it when it's painted. I'll need mobile security, but that's okay

Ripped
09-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Some progess at the bodyshop. They have actually started. I am supposed to check back same time next week.... and he queried me about the wather forcast... This means I am keeping my fingers crossed;

DynoDon
09-03-2010, 02:31 PM
nice thread. Enjoyed reading all the trials and tribulations.
Now if you want to change the sound again, and get some header WOW factor, you ought to try these;
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/09/D627installedPicture1-1.jpg

Ripped
09-03-2010, 05:51 PM
nice thread. Enjoyed reading all the trials and tribulations.
Now if you want to change the sound again, and get some header WOW factor, you ought to try these;
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/09/D627installedPicture1-1.jpg

Yes, believe me, I'd love to, but with my lowered suspension, I even had to delete the cobra tee pan.

It might be funny to see sparks flying out from under the car, while I drove down the road! :)

It would sure be fun to do a 600-700 hp FE with the x-over headers, and some ported blue thunder heads

Ripped
09-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Dropped by the body shop today after work. Looks like the whole car has had it's final sanding (spot primed where needed)

All that's left is masking, and painting.

Sounds like mid next week some time, it will be painted.

Ripped
09-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Well, still not painted, but the car is in the paint booth, being masked. Scheduled to be painted tomorrow BUT they'l still have to go over it. If everything passes inspection I could get it as early as Wednesday. If not, hopefully this week some time.

In the mean time, I purchased some (convex) wide angle mirror from the local auto parts store and replaced the mirror glass, first, in the passenger side mirror.

this will finally make that mirror useful to me.

I also scrounged up a more progressive convex mirror for the drivers side.
The glass is flat at the top and convex at the base, the way that I cut the glass. So reflection will be pretty accurate up top, and give me blind spot viewing on the bottom of the reflector.

I tuned up the housings also. They were both kind of loose.

This will reall help the blind spot issues when street driving, which possibly might be this week, if the car is ready and the weather holds.

John Wright
09-28-2010, 03:37 AM
Neat trick with the mirror.

80 MONZTA
09-28-2010, 09:26 AM
I also scrounged up a more progressive convex mirror for the drivers side.
The glass is flat at the top and convex at the base, the way that I cut the glass. So reflection will be pretty accurate up top, and give me blind spot viewing on the bottom of the reflector.

Where in the world did you find that type of mirror? I had no idea anything like that was even out there (more stuff for me to look for).

Ripped
09-28-2010, 05:43 PM
Neat trick with the mirror.
Thanks, it should be better than stock

Where in the world did you find that type of mirror? I had no idea anything like that was even out there (more stuff for me to look for).
Canadian tire, but I had to scrounge around a lot through a few stores

-----
WE HAVE
B A S E C O A T!!!!

(AND IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE PAINTED -and ready to take home -TOMORROW):twothumbs

John Wright
09-29-2010, 03:29 AM
Color is on!...cool, I know you're excited.....

CruizinKev
09-29-2010, 07:11 AM
sweet thats looking good!! :twothumbs

droptop73
09-29-2010, 06:23 PM
X2!

Ripped
09-29-2010, 08:08 PM
Not quite the news that I was hoping for. The car is painted, but not quite ready to come home.

I have some pieces. Worked on the front fascia tonight.
Hoping to get the whole car tomorrow

CruizinKev
09-30-2010, 06:47 AM
looks great!!!!!

bonecrrusher
09-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Nice!!

droptop73
09-30-2010, 06:14 PM
Looking sweet!

garner67
10-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Nice to see it all coming together for you now!

Hopefully, you'll get a couple of drives before winter shuts down the driving season up there.

Congrats.

Ripped
10-02-2010, 03:03 PM
Thanks guys

Well a little more of a delay.

The paint is good, but there were a few areas of concern, so long story short, it's going to be about another week or so.

A few more pics from back in the shop;

Ripped
10-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Big test of patients, waiting for the paint shop to be finished. It's not going to be this week, so I am resigned to the fact it may be November before I see it.

I prepped the grille to go in and got my license plate in the mail today :smoke:

Bryce
10-07-2010, 05:42 AM
Looking good!

Ripped
10-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Final wetsanding and re-clear is done, still about 1 week away from having the car back

They have to reclear the misc fiberglass parts and fascia, then go over everything carefully.

I am hoping the weather holds up, next week. The paint looks really amazing, so I am glad that I waited. It's going to be worth it. Still tough not to have the car back for this long.

78 Type-LT
10-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Good to see wearing some color

Motown 454
10-15-2010, 05:44 PM
The car looks great I love the color combo. Saw it on GJ . Sweet!

bonecrrusher
10-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Whats with the paint having to be recleared?

Ripped
10-16-2010, 05:42 PM
Good to see wearing some color
Thanks, I can't wait to get it back

The car looks great I love the color combo. Saw it on GJ . Sweet!
Yeah it was a comprimise. I wanted black, wife and daughter didn't agree LOL

Whats with the paint having to be recleared?
Essentially, when it came out of the booth, the 1st time, it was painted to the level, one would expect to see on a mid level car in a dealer showroom.

After thinking about it overnight, I concluded that I was not going to be happy with that.

So, the whole car was wet sanded and recleared. I am much happier with the finish, now.

I am getting very fair value for the paint work, as they fit the car in between insurance jobs and their bread and butter business. So it's not a case, as some might think, that I am paying 10,20,15K for paint job.

Ripped
10-20-2010, 07:23 AM
Back from the bodyshop. started putting it together last night.

Lots of work left, though

chunger
10-20-2010, 09:01 AM
Lots of work left, though

Yea, but somehow it seems easier when you're in the final stretch, doesn't it?

Car looks GREAT!

Ripped
10-20-2010, 11:35 AM
Yea, but somehow it seems easier when you're in the final stretch, doesn't it?

Car looks GREAT!

Thanks, Yes, definitely it seems much easier, plus coming put of paint jail, is a lot like having a brand new car again. Just like having a new girlfriend (except this one almost always puts out ;) ROFLMAO )

garner67
10-20-2010, 10:00 PM
Sweet. Well worth the wait.

Ripped
11-30-2010, 11:12 PM
I've been doing a few wrap up items, the past couple weeks. It looks like the weather is going to suck badly, for the next few weeks, so no road testing. Working with a suspension tech, to tweak it a bit more. Over the next month or two I'm going to finalize the brake cooling duct and differential cooling duct.
That will be a complex little bit of work.

Ripped
12-04-2010, 09:29 AM
The weather broke this weekend, so I didn't waste any time getting temp. permits, to get my fix of cruising in the beast.

I am noticing a small rattle coming from under the hood at slow speeds. I thought that it might be the hood pins. That doesn't seem to be it. I need to find someone small enough, that I can stick under the hood and figure out where it's coming from :lmao:

Working on some ideas to put a little wider tire on the front. I followed a '69 Mustang PT thread a couple years ago, where the builder used and 18" wheel with quite a bit more backspacing, than I have.
'69 Pro touring Mustang (http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=2248)

He is using 5.375BS +.5" so 5.875BS, on an 18" wheel. I am at 4.8 BS on a 17" wheel, on the fronts

I will have to make some sort of wheel template, to check out, if it will work on my car. Typically a lot of these cars used a rack and pinion steering conversion. This system reduced the turning radius (on the ford classics). I have full lock to lock turning radius on mine, so I need to be careful that the wheel barrel, does not impact the upper A arm.

I'd love to go wider and move the tires inside the fenders a little more.

Anyone used the wheel measuring kits, they sell at summit, or elsewhere?

Ripped
12-04-2010, 08:02 PM
In my search for rattles, I found out a few things;

One headlight housing is loose.

I fixed my inner grill which was loose.

Ground the hood pin plate, which was a little squeaky.

The noise that I am seaching for, is my coil springs. in particular, the upper mount where it sits inside the shock tower. I am not sure, if I should hit this with some white grease or not?

The front sway bar is touching the oil filter canister. I definitely don't like that! So i got a new oil filter, and am going to try and adjust the sway bar. If I can't adjust it, then I'll need to mae an offset mount.

Ripped
12-08-2010, 06:30 PM
There was quite a big impact with the sway bar pressing hard on the oil filter. The only thing that I can think of, is the front suspension continues to settle and the sway bar rotated more.

In any case, I completely removed the bushing sleeve on the sway bar ends. Replaced with a shorter grade bolt.

This gives me about 3/16" clear on the sway bar. I spoke to my nachinist about facing the oil filter adaptor on an angle towards the rear of the block.

That will probably be next. I think that I have enough clearance now. The rest will be insurance. Just one of the pitfalls of a lowered suspension, I guess.

chunger
12-09-2010, 09:07 AM
I think this is a "FE in Mustangs" kinda issue. We had the same thing happen on my dads '67 coupe with a 390. Sway bar rubbed right through the oil filter. And then it pumped all the oil out while my sister was driving it to high school (Yeah, I know - I had to work to buy my first car, while my sister dot got to drive dads big block Mustang to school - some things are NEVER fair, but I disgress). Anyways, after it ran out of oil, it stopping running, which was when my sister noticed that there might be something wrong. We dumped more oil back in it and that FE started right up.

Man, those are TOUGH engines!

Ripped
12-09-2010, 03:22 PM
I think this is a "FE in Mustangs" kinda issue. We had the same thing happen on my dads '67 coupe with a 390. Sway bar rubbed right through the oil filter. And then it pumped all the oil out while my sister was driving it to high school (Yeah, I know - I had to work to buy my first car, while my sister dot got to drive dads big block Mustang to school - some things are NEVER fair, but I disgress). Anyways, after it ran out of oil, it stopping running, which was when my sister noticed that there might be something wrong. We dumped more oil back in it and that FE started right up.

Man, those are TOUGH engines!

Whoa, Lucky!!

chunger
12-09-2010, 03:32 PM
Well, as my dad always said - "Hey, it's a TRUCK engine. You can't hurt it!"

Ripped
12-10-2010, 07:09 PM
I sent the oil filter adaptor out for machining. It's already done, and will pick it up tomorrow. Making about a 1/8" taper towards the rear of the engine. This should buy a little more insurance from having the oil filter tough the sway bar, anymore.

Kind of a cool machine shop. A lot of flat heads, 392 hemis, rare old engines

csx4766
12-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Looks real good in paint!

Ripped
12-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Looks real good in paint!

Thanks. I can hardly believe that it's finally painted, myself. Six long years, and if finally looks like something.
Honestly, though, if it were up to me, I would have painted it black, with black TT-II's. My wife and daughter had MUCH input on the colour and wheels (chrome).

A couple bigger pics

Payton King
12-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Looks good to me....I would not change a thing. Glad you are out driving and getting it sorted out.

Congrats

bonecrrusher
12-13-2010, 03:30 PM
Nice pics!

srh3trinity
12-13-2010, 06:12 PM
The car looks great. Your wife and daughter have great taste.

Bjkadron
12-14-2010, 08:35 AM
WOW! Looks amazing!

austin552
12-14-2010, 12:23 PM
:worship:VERY NICE:worship:

Ripped
12-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate it.

Ripped
12-15-2010, 11:24 PM
Finished off the oil filter / sway bar interference problem.

After changing the sway bar end links, I had the oil filter adaptor, milled on an angle and faced.
The resulting clearance is pretty good,I think.

NOT A TA
01-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Car came out very nice!! I like it a lot!

hightower2011
01-28-2011, 09:38 AM
Just went through your entire thread, excellent build!

Motown 454
01-28-2011, 09:59 AM
The car looks beautiful ! Nice fix on the filter.

Ripped
02-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Car came out very nice!! I like it a lot!
Thanks

Just went through your entire thread, excellent build!
Thanks

The car looks beautiful ! Nice fix on the filter.
Even my wife kinda likes it now LOL!

I've been doing next to nothing on the car over the winter. I have some big plans for the spring, including finishing the paint polishing, some exhaust work, front suspension tweaking, some chrome plating, and a bit of upholstery work

482supersnake
02-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Hey Doug
How much ground clearence do you have under your oil pan?
Car looks Great Scott

montessaj
02-07-2011, 02:36 AM
Looks great! Good job!

Ripped
02-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Hey Doug
How much ground clearence do you have under your oil pan?
Car looks Great Scott
The TCP motor mounts lower the engine about 1" below stock.
I have about 5-6" now that I changed to the moroso pan, from the cobra tee pan, pictured below. The cast aluminum pan is great for cooling the oil, but has about 1" thickness for the fins, then the drain bolt sticks out of the bottom another 3/8". I tagged the oil pan bolt once, and decided to change the pan.
I gained almost 1 1/2" more clearance by changing pans

Looks great! Good job!
Thanks a lot!

1red68
03-18-2011, 08:11 AM
i love your Mustang! you did a great job. i hope you get years of enjoyment from her.. :)

Ripped
03-20-2011, 08:55 PM
Finally the lousy weather went away for a couple days. Went on a small (1st day of spring) cruise.
Car was perfect, except I couldn't remember how to configure the levers, to operate the a/c system. It was getting a little warm, until I sorted that out ;-)

A few classics, but mostly newer 'stangs. Gotta make sure everyone knows what a classic big block sounds like!

rrrcustom
03-20-2011, 10:23 PM
Damn nice car. It's actually my dream car. I think I'd go with a '68 front end on mine. Congrats on building such a sweet ride.

Ripped
03-24-2011, 08:36 AM
i love your Mustang! you did a great job. i hope you get years of enjoyment from her.. :)

Yeah the plan is to drive her A LOT! Studies show that getting behind the wheel of a perfomance car, increases your testoterone.
I plan on testing that theory! :)

Damn nice car. It's actually my dream car. I think I'd go with a '68 front end on mine. Congrats on building such a sweet ride.
Thanks, good luck with your project.

More parts are coming in the next week or so.

Ripped
04-26-2011, 10:47 PM
Went on a 600 mile, long weekend cruise. The 'stang performed perfectly on the canyon twistys. It was a lot of fun, and we brought back nearly a case of wine. I have my wife to thank for an innovative new car duster.

Wesley J
04-27-2011, 05:41 AM
What is it with us? Go on vacation and come back with dozens of pictures of our cars... Car looks sharp.

Ripped
04-27-2011, 07:08 AM
What is it with us? Go on vacation and come back with dozens of pictures of our cars... Car looks sharp.

LOLOLOL!

There are more pics, but the wife would not appreciate them being posted, probably! LOL

Hey Wesley, it looks like one of my kids is moving to Calgary for a few years, due to a work transfer. You never know, we might do a Calgary road trip one day, too.

garner67
04-27-2011, 08:39 AM
Where's all the snow? Here in the Salt Lake City area, we still have tons of snow in the mountains. I actually live in Park City, and we got 6" of snow yesterday! Damn, I'm ready for summer to kick into gear!!!

67greengt
04-27-2011, 10:50 AM
What kind of headlights did you end up with? I remember reading a post of yours regarding the headlight housings melting?? Am currently looking at different hid setups xsighting lighting etc.. I'm trying to accomplish an all blueish/white setup with both driving/headlights and then have some sort of amber turn signal... any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks
and car looks great! I'm in Maple Ridge - where did you go for a road trip?

Ripped
04-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Where's all the snow? Here in the Salt Lake City area, we still have tons of snow in the mountains. I actually live in Park City, and we got 6" of snow yesterday! Damn, I'm ready for summer to kick into gear!!!

There was some snow, through manning park, but not on the road, and fortunately not too much traction sand and gravel had been spread on the road either. The rest of the road was great.
Too bad you guys got so much snow. We met some people from Utah (in mexico a week ago) and they didn't mention, that you guys still were getting snow

What kind of headlights did you end up with? I remember reading a post of yours regarding the headlight housings melting?? Am currently looking at different hid setups xsighting lighting etc.. I'm trying to accomplish an all blueish/white setup with both driving/headlights and then have some sort of amber turn signal... any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks
and car looks great! I'm in Maple Ridge - where did you go for a road trip?
I didn't get HID's, I got some Altima motorcycle headlights from fleBay. After waiting for them to arrive, I was researching and found another member here, who has the same lights;
headlights (https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?69604-68-Plymouth-Custom-Update&p=719546&highlight=#post719546)
The LED halo comes in a variety of colours, so it is possible to maybe get amber, or white halo, and wire that to the turn signal.

I swapped out the bulbs for piaa's becuase lordco had some for 50% off. The LED's on these are very bright. I have the blue halos hooked up to the car alarm, and wired up some resistors and relays to the high beams for daytime running lights.

We wound through the Hope-Princton to the crowsnest hwy to Rock Cree, staying at Osoyoos for a couple nights.

chunger
04-27-2011, 12:38 PM
... staying at Osoyoos for a couple nights.

And you weren't worried about your car getting stolen of messed with? Y'all must be nicer people than we have in California. ;)

Ripped
04-27-2011, 07:00 PM
And you weren't worried about your car getting stolen of messed with? Y'all must be nicer people than we have in California. ;)

I guess there are areas, in any places that are risky. This was a very small town. I found out after that the hotel owners patrol the parking lot at night as well. That was nice of them.

Definitely I am going to have to plan future trips carefully, depending on where I go and what parking arrangements the hotels have.

On the other hand, I did have a really bothersome family in a huge SUV, that kept on parking beside my car. They had a load of bratty hyper kids that pounded the doors open, and were swinging toys and luggage.
I don't know why people do that, when I was parked well away from other cars. I moved when they parked beside me, and then they parked beside me again, the second night. Infuriating!

Ripped
05-09-2011, 09:47 PM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/803/dscn0194.jpg/)

Got a new instrument panel. I got it mostly wired up tonight, however the speedometer isn't displaying anything, when I ran it on the jack stands, nothing. I figured at least that it would display the wrong speed until calibrated.

So I have to figure out what is wrong with the speedometer signal, from the sending unit.

Nothing has been simple with this car, this is nothing different, I suppose.

Ripped
05-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Just a follow up on this, after emailing Classic Instruments, they responded by phoning me within 10 minutes of my email, with excelleing customer support. With their help, I should have everything working tonight after work.

Ripped
05-19-2011, 09:57 AM
Dash is in and working good. I tried for a red instrument light theme, but the red led's (wedge lights) are simply not bright enough.
Thats okay, though.

I installed the GT500 side stripes. Everyone else likes them, except for me. I liked the clean look, but am getting used to it.

I hope to have the car back in the paint shop, to take care of a clear coat run and a few minor polishes, in about 1 week.

I changed front tires, from the Sumitomos to Hankook Evos and my tramlining is pretty much gone. So I'm very happy about this.

Since the plan was to fund raise, with this car, I made my application yesterday, to fund-raise for the charity I have in mind. Hopefully they will respond quickly and I can get going.

And am going to take the car up for the long weekend, if the weather is good, so another few hundred miles of highway cruising :)

Dons67
05-19-2011, 10:12 AM
You are a perfect example of why I like this form - gar guys building car and then driving them -- who would've thought of it, actually driving your car after building it!!

GREAT JOB - enjoy the twisities!

John Wright
05-19-2011, 10:29 AM
Man...your car turned out great!.......enjoy

Ripped
05-19-2011, 02:34 PM
You are a perfect example of why I like this form - gar guys building car and then driving them -- who would've thought of it, actually driving your car after building it!!

GREAT JOB - enjoy the twisities!

Thanks, I agree with you! Drive them hard!

Man...your car turned out great!.......enjoy

Thanks John, How's your project coming along?

When my youngest kid comes back from the Army, I want to have a short list for another project (2 boys fighting over one car doesn't make sense :) )
So far it is; 2nd Gen Trans Am, 67-69 Camaro, AAR Challenger or T/A style Cuda, 72 Porsche, Porsche Speedster, D Type Jaguar, Pre-1961 Ferrari.

Rybar
05-19-2011, 02:57 PM
Car looks freakin awesome man, shoot me a message when you head out to any local cruises or shows I'd love to come out as well. Looks like you drove the Crows Nest HWY I've wanted to do that drive for a while with the Camaro.

chunger
05-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Since the plan was to fund raise, with this car, I made my application yesterday, to fund-raise for the charity I have in mind. Hopefully they will respond quickly and I can get going.

What's this about? What do you mean you are going to fund raise with your car? Would like to hear more.

Ripped
05-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Car looks freakin awesome man, shoot me a message when you head out to any local cruises or shows I'd love to come out as well. Looks like you drove the Crows Nest HWY I've wanted to do that drive for a while with the Camaro.

Absolutely, Rybar. I am a huge admirer of your RS. I bet that colour pops even more, in person. It'd be a lot of fun, to rip around!

What's this about? What do you mean you are going to fund raise with your car? Would like to hear more.

I was hoping for a nice public reponse, when the car was completed. It's been absolutely awesome, when we drive the car around.
Sometimes I spend 20-30 minutes every time I stop somewhere, talking to enthusiasts.

So when people come up and ask about the car, I am planning on having a fund raising brochure, on hand. At which point, I will say, "you could actually go for a ride/cruise in this car - just mail/email a copy of your donation tax recipt, to enter the contest"
I'll get a pub or restaurant to kick in a free meal, and tie it in with a local car show or cruise.

Anyway, that's sort of the way I want to start. Hopefully it's successful, and will allow for more ideas.

Some pics from tonight;
http://s550.photobucket.com/albums/ii440/67FEfastback/cruises/Richmond%20May%2019%202011/

Ripped
05-25-2011, 08:25 PM
Looks like my fundraising got approved, so that's good. I hope to be up and running in a couple weeks.

The bad news, is that I don't think my intermittant starting issues are solved yet. I replaced the 40 year old ignition switch. This time with the factory version. The generic replacement I used 2 years ago, exploded under the dash (that could have been bad.)

Testing the old switch, I could not get the start contacts to fail or show any resistance across the circuit.

So off to the next step, I'll check the wiring for resistance. This only seems to happen when the engine is hot.
PITA anyway, but I have to solve this before the next long trip.

Ripped
05-30-2011, 02:26 PM
Fixed my intermittant starter issue (acts up when it's hot.) Seems that the TKO neutral safety switch is a "low current" switch. Old ford wiring runs the solenoid current through the factory harness. Installed a relay, and had no troubles on the weekend. I noticed that the starter seems to work better, over all now (makes sense.)

So I'm happy.

Wife asked me, why the TKO 5 speed shifts so clunky. I said, it's symptomatic, of those TKO's, but not the newer 6 speeds. She answered why I didn't get a six speed? I am thinking, I should have tape recorded that comment, so I can replay it, when I am feeling adventuresome and want to by the new tremec 6-speed LOLLOL.

Tagged the exhaust on a speed bump (perils of being low) and want to fabricate and install about 4 more nice hangers, to keep the system nice and tight.

I overheard a comment from a guy on the weekend "those cars are great in a straight line, but not in corners..."
I'm thinking, "if he only knew!"

chunger
05-31-2011, 05:34 PM
Fixed my intermittant starter issue (acts up when it's hot.) Seems that the TKO neutral safety switch is a "low current" switch. Old ford wiring runs the solenoid current through the factory harness. Installed a relay, and had no troubles on the weekend. I noticed that the starter seems to work better, over all now (makes sense.)

Could you elaborate on this? How did you wire this in? Did you place the relay in a path from the key to the solenoid?

Ripped
05-31-2011, 09:43 PM
yeah very simple. The TKO switch completes the ground circuit for the relay. The starter ignition + is the trigger, and + supply for the relay. The other side of the relay goes to the soleniod.

I used a 40 amp headlight-style relay, c/w the harness.

Hope that explanation helps.

Ripped
06-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Today, I was honoured to participate in the CAV Ride For The Fallen cruise. Basically it honours those that lost their lives in service to the nation, and supports the families of those soldiers.

It was very moving, for me. Almost every overpass had supporters, as well as many along the roadsides. It was mosly bikes. I don't know how many there were this year. Last year there were about 1500.

The bikers really liked the old 'stang. I got a lot of compliments.
The cruise/ride was about 70 miles +/-

Ripped
06-22-2011, 07:58 AM
I got to test out a new 2011 Roush mustang, last night, through a local car club event. It was fun. The supercharged engine is a lot different than the old big block. Definitely cool cars.

Ripped
07-03-2011, 10:55 AM
A Few pics from friday;

Ripped
07-08-2011, 02:15 PM
A funny thing happened today. I decided to eat lunch off site, at a local fast food outlet. Found a full newspaper (unusual at this time of day - they are all normally gone by 10am) and started thumbing through it.
Got to the 10th section in the newspaper. The cars section, starting with the brand new mercedes SLK, for the front page. Anyway, I start reading through the pages, I come to a section on a story about the worlds largest supercar show, nice pics. At this time, I am thinking that it would be cool to have my car in the paper. I thumb through another section, and flip the page, and there I am. A nice large picture of my car in colour (scan to come later - when I find a large enough scanner - office depot maybe?)
Anyway, I know there were a lot of photos taken, of the beast, at the car show (above) but I didn't expect to be in the newspaper. Unfortunately, the Vancouver Sun (readership 500,000 +/- daily), does not replicate the article, in the online version of the paper.

So Cool! First published photo of the car!

Anyway I "stole" the section of the paper, because usually it'd be sold out by the evening, and I didn't want to take a chance, on not having the page. ;)

Ripped
07-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Partial scan;

Z06killinSBF
07-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Nice spread!!

droptop73
07-10-2011, 06:28 PM
Nice

Ripped
07-19-2011, 08:56 PM
Nice

Thanks!

Nice spread!!
Thanks, also ;)

So, in order to take my car to a "track day" that our club is putting on, I had to change the seat belts. Two point lap belts were a no-go. I briefly considered a 4 point system, however, I'd likely get a lot of complaints from the usual passenger (my wife).

So I picked up a generic set (3pt belts), from auto-loc, and installed them tonight. Generally everything went well, and I wanted to make it safer, on the street, so a good addition, just for general traffic safety.

just have to put the interior all back together again.

Ripped
07-20-2011, 09:00 AM
A quick email exchange, from the track, and it looks like I should be good to go.
This week, will be a good chance to review all the nuts and bolts on the underside of the chassis, and give her a once over.

It should be fun going to the track, and seeing what happens.

To be a true track car, I'd want to have minimum 18" wheels, stiffer springs and firmer shocks, and be lighter. But it's a trade off I'm happy to make.
On the street, I don't want to have a bone jarring ride, I like the (heavy) sound deadening, and the look of the 17" wheels.
And, of course, I like my paint un-scratched LOL.

I think the sport shocks, and non-track (front springs) will be the weak points. And my lack of driving experience LOL

Ripped
07-25-2011, 08:08 AM
Had our little cruise over the weekend. The cruise was made up of 99% modern mustangs.
I gotta say all those newer cars with the power adders, really tear up the road at speed.

The old beast hangs it out pretty good once we get into the twisties, though. Lots of fun through the mountains! ;)

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/07/DSC00954-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/07/DSC00955-1.jpg

By the looks of the oil pan, a dry sump system, may be in order;
http://www.venommustangs.com/pics/cpg1410/displayimage.php?album=22&pos=55

I was looking at the stock pan, and probably, could only get an 1-1.5" less, if I made a custom wet sump pan.

Ripped
08-09-2011, 12:52 PM
The day, finally arrived, that I have been waiting 6+ years for.
Our club hosted an instructional track day, and I was all in.

My driving (skill) was really bad, but was able to make up for it on horsepower and torque out of the corners. Until I got a noise violation warning (myself along with a cobra and GT40 replica). This meant that I had to run the exhaust in a more restrictive mode, cutting the power quite significantly.

It turned out to be a good thing, because I had to quickly learn how to brake, turn and downshift properly, among other things.
Still after a full day, my driving skill still sucks, but was getting somewhat better.
The car performed flawlessly, and reliably. Brakes, suspension, engine, transmission, cooling system were all excellent. The car easily exceeds my abilities.
Outside of the GT40, and cobra replica, there were no other vintage fords on the track.

Did not spin out or scratch the paint, either ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w75WVvAp57M

Ripped
09-06-2011, 09:43 PM
Soooo, maybe this is a bad thing, but I am taking my car to the drag races. Yes it is not set up for the 1/4 mile, but I want to try it out, and have some fun.

I was SO BORED at the last car show, I went to. I never want to spend a day, like that, at a boring venue, waiting, sitting around, looking at people's reproduction 'chalk marks' BORING!

So drag races it is. I'll let you know how it goes.

craigs73
09-07-2011, 07:01 AM
WOW the cars i nice... cant belive you got a noise violation a the track????? must been scurd of the power lol

Ripped
09-07-2011, 07:18 AM
WOW the cars i nice... cant belive you got a noise violation a the track????? must been scurd of the power lol

Ripping around the 1st few corners with the old big block crackling and barking, tires shredding out of the corners, was like having a CAR-gasim!:machine:

I wish I would have had the video camera running... maybe this weekend.:drive:

craigs73
09-07-2011, 07:40 AM
was like having a CAR-gasim!:machine:

hahaha sounds like fun... just went and watched first auto x in person and wow did it look fun.... maybe one day my car will be out there lol

Rybar
09-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Doug, sent you a PM. Trying to round up some cars to cruise out to Langley Friday night. We should meet up.

Ryan

Ripped
09-10-2011, 05:19 PM
Doug, sent you a PM. Trying to round up some cars to cruise out to Langley Friday night. We should meet up.

Ryan

Great chatting (on the phone with you) Ryan, too bad we couldn't get together in Langley. There were so many cars.

Thanks also for your tip on the flat bed driver. Unfortunately he was apparently off work today. We ended up renting a U-Haul trailer, to limp back home.

Just to bring everyone else up to speed. I took the car drag racing, for the first time. The road race setup that I have (on the rear suspension) does not do anything to control wheel hop.

Bottom line, first run, in the first few feet, busted the ford 9". Cracked some of the welds on the under-rider traction bars

I'm going to have to rethink the rear suspension. Right now, I am SO pissed.

Ripped
09-11-2011, 10:08 PM
A couple picsof the carnage;

Daves69Coupe
09-12-2011, 07:22 AM
holy crap man that sux. Thats a huge piece of metal to sheer like that.

Motown 454
09-12-2011, 06:26 PM
That sucks! I hope the damage isn't too bad to fix. Before I read this I was going to say congrats on the ink. I love the car....

Rybar
09-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Doug, sorry to hear. Hope you get it fixed and back on the road soon. And hopefully we can meet up sometime soon.

Ripped
09-13-2011, 10:13 PM
holy crap man that sux. Thats a huge piece of metal to sheer like that.
Yeah no kidding!. Looks like the internals are okay, though.

That sucks! I hope the damage isn't too bad to fix. Before I read this I was going to say congrats on the ink. I love the car....
Thanks, I'll know by Thursday

Doug, sorry to hear. Hope you get it fixed and back on the road soon. And hopefully we can meet up sometime soon.

Yeah for sure, we'll get together. Should be back and ready in a couple weeks.

I hauled the pumpkin out tonight. Looks like the internals are all okay, but I'll drop it off at the diff.shop, tomorrow after work. They will have to change the gear set

Get the driveshaft checked, and change the U-joints.

I ordered a set of caltracs. I think they are a proven product, and should control the wheel hop.

Gitter Dun
09-14-2011, 05:40 AM
First off, Congrats on the photo in the paper!! Looks like a real nice photo.

Secondly, sorry to hear about your incident at the track. One thing I wont due is drag race my car. Way to hard on the drive line.

Funny, these cars are never really done due to the fact that we like to drive them hard. Glad to hear it felt good on the road course.

Ripped
09-15-2011, 04:03 PM
First off, Congrats on the photo in the paper!! Looks like a real nice photo.

Secondly, sorry to hear about your incident at the track. One thing I wont due is drag race my car. Way to hard on the drive line.

Funny, these cars are never really done due to the fact that we like to drive them hard. Glad to hear it felt good on the road course.

Thanks, and Yeah I understand what you are saying. Problem is (around here) the road racing events are few and far between. It was quite a rush, revving up the big block, on the drag track, though. It's something, I never get to do on the street.

I got word from the diff shop, that 100% of the internals are all good, in the guts of the pumpkin, so just a replacement set of gears. Should pick it up, tomorrow after work.

Hoping that the caltracs will be here soon too. I know that some of the boss 302/trans am road racing guys are using these, so it will be interesting to see the differences, between the old and new suspension set up.

I may even look to some of the local crowd, and see if there is a way to set up a local autocross event, next season.

Ripped
09-17-2011, 09:05 AM
Diff is in. No caltracs yet.:( Probably stuck in customs.

Some cosmetic repairs to do under the chassis, during the off season. Although with all the oil seepage, grease, and layers of zero rust paint, it should not get rusty ;)

FRENCHBLUE72
09-18-2011, 12:57 PM
Good looking car glad to see that you are using it..

Ripped
09-22-2011, 07:46 PM
Good looking car glad to see that you are using it..

Yes the beast, gets a little dirty on the underside. It's definitely more fun driving, than polishing lug nuts, for a car show!

Excuse the extra white grease. but I'll wipe off the excess later. Anyway Caltracs are on. Once it settles, I'll adjust them.

Ripped
09-26-2011, 07:24 PM
After doing a rough set up (1/4 turn preload on each side) I drove the car, normally, for a couple days and the verdict is in. So far I like them. No excessive noise, rattling, squaking or anything. I can feel the car "plant" right away, when even moderate torque is applied. It feels solid.
I did try a couple spirited corners, and noticed nothing unusual. With the aluminum bushings in the rear spring eyes and heim joints, I would expect the rear to be tighter, and the front to understeer more.

I have not really been able to test that theory, though.

solarguy09
10-27-2011, 01:16 AM
Very sweet Car.....Just love it......

Sorry about the parts breaking....wheel hop is a bad deal...I have taken my old trusty traction bars off my car since i am putting on hotchkis subframe connectors....Boy if i have wheel hop, i am going to be pissed too...My old 1980's traction bars did the Job for 20 years....

Oh and thumbs up on the track time....

P.S. No new Mustang looks like your Car....

Ripped
05-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Well about three weeks ago, I didn't break car parts. I broke my ankle (2 places)
:(
Just when the driving season is here.

I even tried getting the air-cast, over the clutch pedal, and seeing if it would work.
It didn't.

I have some stainless steel in there, now.

After the staples came out...

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif (http://img405.imageshack.us/i/20120514131146.jpg/)
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif (http://img214.imageshack.us/i/20120514131133.jpg/)
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif (http://img31.imageshack.us/i/20120514140226.jpg/)

The good news, is that I am feeling better.

Project-wise.

I was kind of unhappy with the front tire size, on my car (205/50/17.) It is very low, and not bagged, so a challenge to fit wide tires on the front. Rears are an acceptable 315/35/17
On the front, I have maxed out the offset, and rim size. The tire still hits the fender lip, at times.

I was going to weld flares, or get fiberglass fenders, and flare those. Instead last night, I decided to get the porta-power wedge, and try stretching the existing wheel lip. Risky on a painted fender, but welding would mean repainting also, so I went for it.

Bit by bit, I worked my way around the wheel lip, back and forth.
When I was done, I got an additional 3/4" plus minimum clearance. Most of the stretching, occurred just below the metal body line running front to back, across the fender.

It looks good. Most people will never be able to tell. To celebrate, I ordered a much more acceptable pair of front tires, 255-40-17, which is 1.5" total width more than the existing tire.

Now I just gotta keep busy on other things, while I wait 3 more weeks to get this cast off!

Cheers

Ripped
05-31-2012, 01:30 PM
Tires arrived.

A big PITA trying to load and unload them, out of the truck. I'm kind of stubborn and hate asking for help LOL, but I had to ask, and did get help :)

Should be able to do the rest myself.

Can't wait to put them on the car, tonight. It will be nice to see the front of the car, go from almost a "drag car look" to a "pro-touring look."

I used the same brand of tire, which had almost zero tramlining, compared to the sumitomos. Wider this time, so might be an issue, but I hope not.

johngross
05-31-2012, 05:00 PM
would love some insight as to how you stretched the fenders...............Pleeeeease

67greengt
05-31-2012, 06:29 PM
Dido on the stretch!!!

Ripped
05-31-2012, 08:13 PM
would love some insight as to how you stretched the fenders...............Pleeeeease

Dido on the stretch!!!

Okay, BUT I am going to underline, that this really should be done on an unpainted fender.
The reason being, is that I am, still going to have to do some fitment and alignment of the fender, to get it back, where it was before (door gaps etc)

If it was unpainted, I could stretch, and shrink the metal, hammer and dolly it, to a nice fit, easily

So what the goal was, was to bend the fender outwards, under the body line. Normally the metal curls back in, before the fender lip. I flattened that.

The fender's body line was very strong, and did not bend.
You can see that the fender lip, and fender under the body line, at the top are almost flat, now.

This is what I used; Porta power wedge, against the tire on one side, and various pads on the fender side, cardboard, wood blocks, etc. Id' recommend a thin rubber block, like converyor belt rubber.

I took starting measurments 1st on each side. I worked my way around the fender lip, back and forth, a little at a time.
The critical points were at about the 10:30 to 11:00 position and 1:00 to 1:30 position (think about a clock face)
De stressing, these points, carefully 1st, allows the top of the fender lip to come out.
If I just did the top, 1st then the fender lip would simply not go. I'd end up with folds or bends on the face of the fender.

Once this was done, I carefully came back to the 12:00 position and worked on this, for a bit.

I actually worked my way around the entire radius of the fender

It looks stealthy, just like the stretched back quarters. There is a good amount of clearance, which I will need for turning and bumps.

I may even be able to lose, a little of the +camber, depending on cornering and tramlining, once my broken ankle heals, and and I can drive it again! ;)

Note that the bottom of the fender lip, on either side, does not move. Also if I had an unpainted fender, I'd cut a wedge out of the the bottom, of the front of this fender, where the radius meets, the underside, for turning clearance. Then fold the metal over, just like the rest of the fender. I did this once already, before the car was painted, but it could use just a little more, with the wider front tires.

Hope that helps, you guys.

67greengt
06-02-2012, 07:58 AM
Thanks! It definitely does!!

Ripped
06-24-2012, 06:00 PM
Broken ankle got infected so I was on IV antibiotics for a week (got to go to the hospital and get pumped full every night after work) BUT I am on the mend. I Still have antibotic pills for a couple weeks, but the ankle looks better. I got some high top hiking boots and I can walk pretty good and use the clutch pretty good, now.

On the spur of the moment, I decided to go to a medium sized car show today. This decision was made late last night 9:30 pm at which point I pulled the back wheels, cleaned the discs calipers, wheels and part of the back under-chassis. This morning I got up early, and did the same with the front wheels and under-chassis.

With the bad weather and last night's rain storm, the car was pretty grimy. Felt bad going to a car show, that way, but our summer has been really cruddy. Weather this am was iffy, but I went, and polished the paint, when I got there. Spent most of the morning yakking, chatting and polishing. Engine was not very clean, and interior was, well ....... I rolled up the windows and kept the doors closed ;)

Good show, with maybe 100-120 cars. Sorry with the bad ankle, I didn't take pics. Lots of variety from rods to tuners. A lot of muscle cars, and maybe one other pro touring car.

Car shows and judging is kind of funky, so I don't go to many. More fun just to look at the cars for a couple hours and then go drive.

Didn't really expect to get anything, because of my lack of preparation, and cleanliness, and I was really surprized to get a second place, in my group (25 cars +/-)

johngross
06-25-2012, 03:59 AM
Congrats on your second place finish. Your car is gorgeous.

68firebird
06-25-2012, 06:43 AM
great looking mustang! congrats on the second place even if you didn't expect it.

Ripped
06-25-2012, 07:43 AM
Thanks guys. Nice to represent the pro-touring crowd.

There was another amazing pro-touring car there. 1977 (black) Trans am with a stroked 455 pontiac, all the right suspension goodies, brakes and the plus size 17" snowflake wheels. It looked really mean, in a stealthy kind of way. I'll try and post up a pic, if I can find one, that someone else took.

Ripped
06-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Well the local mustang club is hosting another track day.

Being laid up with a broken ankle, meant that I never registered.

When one of the club guys mentioned (at the car show on the past weekend) they might have had a cancelletion, I emailed the organizer.

Yep, they have a spot.

So I think that I'm going to register.

The only thing I have to do, is figure out, how to run the exhaust in the less restrictive mode, so I can keep up with the newer supercharged cars? At least I have wider front tires, for better cornering now ;-)

So you understand, this is what I have now; Patriot Varaflow Mufflers;

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/06/varaflow-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/06/0905sr_03_zpatriot_exhaust_products_vara-1.jpg

So when the butterfly valve is closed... it it not straight through, knocking off the Db's but also the HP.

Ripped
06-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Well my track registration fee is sent in.

I started studying some track videos, with corner/line instruction. My driving was pretty bad, last year, so it can only get better, I guess.
My track line was terrible. Front tire grip was non-existant, and I know is better, now with the wider tires. Caltracs and soild spring bushings, should tighten things up on the back.

More of a track for smaller lighter cars, so I am going to just try and be better at braking, smoother corners, better line.

Ripped
07-10-2012, 10:25 PM
With another track day coming up, I wanted to start getting my brakes ready for the road course. Finally time to finish the 4" rear brake cooling ducts.

austin552
07-11-2012, 08:29 AM
Scoops work great! Where did you get them from? Are you going to screen the scoop openings?

Thanks,
Austin

Ripped
07-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Scoops work great! Where did you get them from? Are you going to screen the scoop openings?

Thanks,
Austin

Thanks for asking, brings up a lot of unseen work LOL

The outer scoops are a generic shelby side scoop like these; http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/1967-68-Shelby-Lower-Side-Scoops.html

I modified to have four bolts f/glassed on the outer corners to go around the inlet duct, then block sanded the inside for appearance and air flow.
A few pics of the many hours of work that went into the lower brake scoops; http://www.pacificthunder.com/fitting_and_modifying_67_shelby_fiberglass/block_sanding_modifying_67_shelby_upper_and_lower_ side_scoops.htm

The chassis inlet is similar to this one;
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30164

only mine has the flange on an angle. A couple pics here too; http://www.pacificthunder.com/reassembly-of-the-67-gt500/sound_proofing_brake_ducts_trunk_reassembly.htm

I did not screen the openings, but the lower side scoops, do collect a lot of junk in them. I drilled a water drain hole in the bottom, that's all. I don't like the look of the grilles people put on these type of scoops.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/07/scoop4-1.jpg

Ripped
07-13-2012, 12:39 PM
From last weekend, Hells Gate Cruise

Some nice pics, courtesy of a few friends on the cruise.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/07/013-2.jpg

The mustang side by side with me, has a supercharged shelby motor, easily +200 hp on my car.
(I may have to do a HP bump, with all these newer cars, I cruise with)

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/07/e9bf084a-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/07/de14d84a-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/07/bbf15486-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/07/DSC02368-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/07/DSC02385-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/07/DSC02409-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/07/DSC02410-1.jpg

A supercharged SN Bullit Mustang.

https://vimeo.com/45415602

Most of the 'stangs have turbos, prochargers, superchargers, on them, as you can hear in the video

http://vimeo.com/45422599

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/07/DSC02357-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/07/DSC02355-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/07/DSC02351-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/07/DSC02347-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/07/DSC02348-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/07/DSC02389-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/07/DSC02388-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/07/DSC02384-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/07/00da0ff9-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/07/353a586e-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/07/fa6d023d-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/07/27161244-1.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4323119721774.2177108.1400530592&type=1&l=f59c297388

Ripped
07-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Some of my pics;

Unfortunately this original GT 390/4speed, blew a front tire on the trip, shredding up the front fender and chrome rocker trim. The owner has had the car for 43 years. Very bad luck. The rest were newer mustangs.

Ripped
07-13-2012, 11:14 PM
Well Guys and Gals

Some very exciting news. Michael contacted me, a couple weeks ago, and told me, that he wanted to do a write up on the beast.
That was kind of cool.

He sent me the links today, and I'm in total shock. He put it in two of their magazines, and then sent me a link to their facebook page, so i could see the feedback and comments.

Street Legal TV;
http://www.streetlegaltv.com/news/pacific-thunder-a-1967-shelby-gt500-pro-touring-tribute-car/

Facebook;
http://www.facebook.com/StangTV

Stang TV;
http://www.stangtv.com/news/pacific-thunder-a-1967-shelby-gt500-pro-touring-tribute-car/

I hope you guys enjoy

So cool. I'm still totally shocked Wow

LeighP
07-14-2012, 12:17 AM
your car looks great! Love the low buck engineering approach!
Pity about that guy's GT....I just wonder how old those BFG T/A Radials were? I've seen guys driving cars with 15-20 year old BFG's on it not realising they were hard as a rock and probably about to fail.

austin552
07-14-2012, 01:30 AM
Congrats Doug! Time for the payoff for all that work. Glad to see you out enjoying it as well.

Ripped
07-14-2012, 07:15 PM
your car looks great! Love the low buck engineering approach!
Pity about that guy's GT....I just wonder how old those BFG T/A Radials were? I've seen guys driving cars with 15-20 year old BFG's on it not realising they were hard as a rock and probably about to fail.

Yeah I was wondering that too. Old tires are dangerous.

Last year we were about to go on a long trip. I saw that my tires were showing a tiny bit of steel, due to my negative camber. I almost talked myself into leaving them alone. Instead I bought some expensive front tires on short notice, realizing that a break down in a remote area, is going to cost a lot more money.

Congrats Doug! Time for the payoff for all that work. Glad to see you out enjoying it as well.
Thanks, yeah I am really excited about track day. Maybe my driving will be better this time.

austin552
07-15-2012, 04:25 AM
Best of luck. 5 stars

Ripped
07-17-2012, 09:42 AM
Best of luck. 5 stars
Thanks! :D

Well I did better this year, with the instructors taking us out and doing a series of trail braking exercises in the morning. It was set up and taught well, and definitely helped me understand the concept.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEC_yZkkTdE

My camera mount crapped out, and I lost quite a bit of video, during the day.

The wider front tires definitely helped, and so did the caltracs. A totally different car from last year.
My driving was much better. Last year I was hammering down the straights, trying to catch up. This year I was taking it easier on the straights (didn't want to get booted off the track, for a noise voilation) and doing much better on the braking an cornering.

Problem is, I was braking later and later, and harder and harder, until I spun out. No damage to the car, but the engine is running a little rough. I also disintegrated the fan belt, running the alt, and water pump. So overheated.

I'm hoping it's a minor issue.

Some of the tiny amount of track video that didn't get lost. Sorry for the shaky video, but the camera mount crapped out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES2pbDmHc58&list=UULXMq_IQ-YLjSDcRKjDERWg&index=2&feature=plcp

People were great there at the track, running me around getting new fan belts and coolant. One of the racers even followed me for 60 miles on the way home, to make sure I didn't break down.