PDA

View Full Version : rollbar seals/grommets

Mike Holleman
06-08-2009, 05:54 AM
We are in the process of installing a rollbar in my El Camino. I'm using Percy's race glass for a back glass and need some sort of seal for the rollbar at the glass. So far what I've had in mind to use has not really looked like I want. Looking something clean and neat that will seal out water.
Any suggestions? They make real neat ones for Cobras but they are for 2" bars, I have 1 3/4"
Thanks
Mike

NOT A TA
06-08-2009, 06:45 AM
I went through the same thing recently trying to dress up the holes through my rear seat. Try a local plumbing supply house and look through the racks. There's all kinds of stuff with rubber seals you might be able to try. I found one in some kind of drain plumbing connection and another inside a roof vent pipe assembly. I ended up doing something else in upholstery but you might find something that will suit your needs. You could also try Mcmaster-carr.

Mike Holleman
06-08-2009, 08:47 AM
I went through the same thing recently trying to dress up the holes through my rear seat. Try a local plumbing supply house and look through the racks. There's all kinds of stuff with rubber seals you might be able to try. I found one in some kind of drain plumbing connection and another inside a roof vent pipe assembly. I ended up doing something else in upholstery but you might find something that will suit your needs. You could also try Mcmaster-carr.
Thanks for the suggestions John. We have looked at some grommets for pipe that were a bit bulky. I'll try McM/carr.
Mike

Tig Man
06-08-2009, 11:08 AM
We made them long before you could buy them in the cup cars! Cut you a ring of aluminum and use a tire inner tube for the rubber. Seals-It make all kinds of different ones also.

Mark

Mike Holleman
06-08-2009, 04:05 PM
We made them long before you could buy them in the cup cars! Cut you a ring of aluminum and use a tire inner tube for the rubber. Seals-It make all kinds of different ones also.

Mark
I have thought about doing just that. I found some today at Rhodes Customs in De. They are a pretty fancy piece with a SS ring and a tapered seal. When I get them I may wish I had made em. Most likely they will be very simple. Thanks for the suggestion Mark. You did some very nice work on my buddy Herb's Chevelle.
Mike Holleman