PDA

View Full Version : Vintage air Install

Rob68427
06-05-2009, 09:29 AM
Hello,

I just got my hoses crimped. And hopefully going to start my car at the end of this month if everything goes right.

My question is connecting the hoses to the dryer and a/c unit.
I think they are pressurized?
Can I connect these even if I'm not starting the car for a month?

Thanks
Rob:candle:

ErikLS2
06-05-2009, 01:26 PM
I haven' worked with any Vintage Air stuff but I don't see how anything could be pressurized prior to assembly. The main thing with A/C system components, esepcially the drier is to keep moisture out by keeping the ends capped off with something. Connect it whenever you want and if possible pull it down into a vacuum once the system is sealed or at least make sure the system is "closed". When you get ready to charge it with Freon, make sure you evacuate for at least 30 minutes, 45 is better. I live in Phoenix and have done A LOT of a/c work. Good luck!

Rob68427
06-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Thank You

I just wanted to make sure.
Because when I started to loosen the fitting plugs on the a/c unit, I could hear a hissing sound, like air coming out. So, I figured it was pressurized.

This my first A/C install.

Thanks again
Rob

ProdigyCustoms
06-05-2009, 02:33 PM
No. your good. But don't let that stuff sit open for long either. you will kill the dryer with mouisture from the air pretty quickly

Twentyover
06-06-2009, 05:49 AM
Older A/Csystems (mostly R12), the desiccant in the accumulator or R/D would absorb some of the refrigerant into the desiccating agent, and would outgas (you would depressurize the system, reseal it, and after a period of time, the refrigerant outgassed would re pressurize the system.)

What I'm guessing you're seeing is that the system was sealed at a given barometric pressure and temperature. It's unlikely you have matching baro and temp when you open it again, so ther is an inrush or outrush of air from the sealed system to equalize pressure changes based on the difference in temp and baro pressure

Taylor1969
06-06-2009, 05:52 AM
I just uncapped my condenser yesterday and got the same "whoosh" of air. At least you know that it doesn't have any leaks!

willieboy240
06-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Hello All,

I'm looking for a Vintage Air Dealer for my 1967 Nova. can someone tell me a great dealer with a great price? I know some of you guys have done all the research already. can you help me out?

Thanks,

Will

Taylor1969
06-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Hello All,

I'm looking for a Vintage Air Dealer for my 1967 Nova. can someone tell me a great dealer with a great price? I know some of you guys have done all the research already. can you help me out?

Thanks,

Will

Call Frank @ Prodigy... www.prodigycustoms.com I have purchased 2 systems from him and a ton of other stuff

parsonsj
06-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Seconded: call Frank at Prodigy.

jp

GetMore
06-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Check out post #4, that's Frank!

KUL FIR CHICK N
06-09-2009, 03:17 AM
The condenser and evaporator is charged with dry nitrogen prior to shipment, that's the hissing you hear. You can hook up all the hoses except the drier. Keep it capped (and the corresponding hoses or hard lines) until you're ready to vacuum the system down. Once you're ready to vacuum, you can connect the lines to the drier and evacuate for 45 min.

Twentyover
06-09-2009, 11:21 AM
You guys still nitrogen charge your heat exchangers? Used to do that when we were kitting Japanese stuff in the 80's, we determined the added percieved qualty didn't justify the cost. We even stopped charging driers in the late 90's, just rubber bung plugged them. As long as the cap didn't blow off (never a significant problem), the friction of the rubber bung exceeded the force generated by changes in pressure.

I even calculated life cycle durability decrease when a plug was blown off a drier. When stored in a box, the greater risk was contamination in most envirornments.

That said, if one can, keep the drier as plugged as possible.

Moderately curious- do you still get driers from Calsonic Kansei? They closed the plant in Cali that made them, understand moved production to Mexico. Or have you resourced this part (I have one of the driers on my Camaro because I did the design work at CKNA on it)