PDA

View Full Version : Plasma cutter who has one?

thedodgeboys
06-02-2009, 04:27 AM
I am looking at maybe getting a plasma cutter my question is do I get a cheap $600.00 to $800 one
Or pony up for a $1200 -$1300.00 miller.

Do you get what you pay (better cuts) for or as long as it cuts its fine.
Won’t use it much just at home to work on light metal mostly on cars.

Thanks

hotrdblder
06-02-2009, 05:46 AM
thermal dynamics/hypertherm are the cats meow, they created the process way back.
i woul dnot go with anything else. the thermal dynamics cutmaster 51 is in your price range as well as the hypertherm 600
both quality cut to 1/2

Steve1968LS2
06-02-2009, 06:10 AM
I just won this Miller 675 in a contest. Have only used it a couple of times but man, does it cut nice.

Can go up to 5/8" but I've only cut 1/2" and that was just messing around.

The two benefits for those of us that are hobbiests (ie, not production) is that it's easy to use and that it's VERY small and easy to store and transport.

Street price is a lot less than what's shown on thier site.

The 375 Xtreme is also nice (one at the shop) and it's benefit is that it can do 110 or 220V power. But it's not as strong at the 675 and doesn't offer a drag tip (although you can drag it to it's low power, just hard on the tip)

One I have:
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/plasma/spectrum_625_x-treme/

LSXfan
06-02-2009, 06:52 AM
have had a Lincoln Electric Pro-Cut 25 for a few years now

3/8" cut capacity

dual voltage input 110/220 v

best investment I ever made

gearheads78
06-02-2009, 07:18 AM
I think I paid 800ish for my Miller off Ebay new. I can't believe how much I use it. If you work on and modifie cars you will wish you bought it years ago like I do.

gkring
06-02-2009, 03:06 PM
I got a good deal on a Miller 125c. very light duty and runs on 110 and has a built in compressor. I figured 90% of what I would do would be thin sheetmetal which is where this should shine. It doesn't and I would not recommend it. It does okay, but the surface has to be so clean that the time it takes me to prep something to plasma cut I could have just cut it with a cutoff wheel, hole saw, sawzall, bandsaw, etc. Unless I need a weird shape I don't break it out. heavier stuff I just use the torch. I don't do anything intricate and really just got it because it was priced right. ww.garagejournal.com (http://www.garagejournal.com) had some positive threads on the cheap harbor freight ones for the limited nonprofessional use. miller also has a good message board where you could get some really informed answers. I guess it all depends on your useage. if you just want to blow some money on a cool toy (like I did), then there are much better tools to spend your money on.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/plasma/spectrum_125c/

thedodgeboys
06-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the feedback

edog1
06-02-2009, 04:43 PM
I would spend a little more money and buy a name brand and a larger machine than you expect you will need. You will end up using it more than you think. I own a hypertherm as well

LSXfan
06-02-2009, 07:08 PM
nothing wrong with tryin to find a good deal, but DO NOT BUY A HARBOR FREIGHT PLASMA CUTTER !!!!....I had one, lasted 4 days, took it back and took 6 months to get my refund

thedodgeboys
06-02-2009, 11:06 PM
nothing wrong with tryin to find a good deal, but DO NOT BUY A HARBOR FREIGHT PLASMA CUTTER !!!!....I had one, lasted 4 days, took it back and took 6 months to get my refund

Thats good to know :machine:

oestek
06-03-2009, 08:03 AM
We run an HTP Microcut 400.. it's very small, cuts everything we need, and have never had any issue in nearly 4 years. The smaller HTP units are nice for car shops, too.

70SS98SS
06-04-2009, 02:42 PM
have to agree you will use it way more than you expect. I bought a hypertherm 380 6-7 years ago and use it all the time. never had to clean anything to get a good cut. did research back then and found hypertherm makes the machines for miller. have a friend who has a miller and the machines are pretty much identical (mine had storage for extra tips on side). would recommend 100% let me know if you have questions

jpdeuce
06-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Thermal Dynamics here. Good stuff!

D Impala95
10-23-2009, 06:16 PM
I have a Hypertherm
Powermax 1000 and it's the cat's meow for the home hobbyist. It'll do 1" but Hypertherm recommends 3/4" continuous cutting. I got mine new for $1000.

wiedemab
10-23-2009, 06:30 PM
I have a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 38. It works great for what i use it for which is mostly sheet metal, but sometimes a little thicker stuff.

It is certainly a handy tool to have around the shop. I bought mine used from someone that needed a higher power unit to cut thicker stuff.

mikey
10-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Thermal dynamics cutmaster 38 here also. I was looking at a smaller machine the salesman told me to go with the bigger one. It will cut the thinner stuff faster and with less power. BTW the one I bought was pretty much the same price. I would have gone even bigger but I'm out of 220 space in my breaker box.

elitecustombody
01-10-2010, 02:45 PM
I like my Daytona Mig Power Plasma 3100

http://store.daytonamig.com/powplas30.html

jr421
01-20-2010, 06:41 AM
I just bought this one (hypertherm powermax 30), after doing a ton of reading it seems to be very versatile. It works on 110 or 220 which means if I need to take it somewhere other than my garage I could use it at different locations. Once I get it fired up I will let you know how it works

http://www.hypertherm.com/en/Products_and_Services/Manual_Plasma/powermax30.jsp

davenport
01-23-2010, 04:28 AM
we also use a hypertherm powermax30 at work..

i cannot fault it at all its been in service for a few years now and still operates perfectly.. my only critisism would be the earth cable goes a bit brittle and has a mind of its own rather than lay flat when uncoiled.. they seem to be the most common brand in the UK..

eddiep
01-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Another happy Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 38 owner ... It's a great machine and will plug into both 110 or 220 volt outlets. Mine has been going strong now for 7 years without a problem and it gets lots and lots of use.

If I were cutting stuff regularly over 3/8" think I would have gone with the Cutmaster 50 (I only use it for car related work, and never run into anything bigger than that though).

SVTforme
01-27-2010, 09:08 PM
I would have loved to buy a big name brand plasma, but I ended up buying name brand welders instead. In the end, I had to settle with getting a cheaper unit with the money I had left.

After scouring the internet, I ended up buying a ParkerMP Plasma made by Parker Metalworking Products. I have been very impressed with the product and they have excellent tech support to boot (located in AZ). I use it several times a week and it works flawlessly. Got it new off Ebay for $399. I mean it is definetely not a name brand piece, but it gets the job done and would be the perfect model to have around the garage in my opinion. It is also dual voltage.

Cdog
02-02-2010, 06:53 AM
Craigslist. I picked up a used thermal dynamics 50 in 220 for $850 over the weekend through craigslist. Used it Sunday for cutting out my trunk pan. It probably saved me 2 hours on that job alone.

DRJDVM's '69
02-06-2010, 10:32 AM
I have the Thermal Dynamics 38....fantastic!! It so fun to use :)

In reality you can use a cutoff or something else for most of the jobs you would use a plasma for....but it is much quicker and just cool to use th plasma :)

magilla
02-08-2010, 04:55 PM
I've had my Thermal Dynamics Dynapak 110 now for 14-15 years, with never a problem. I got it used for $600, with the intention of using it solely for sheet metal, but it will cleanly cut 1/8" like butter with a new tip. I'm getting to the point, though, of seriously looking at upgrading to a 3/8" unit, like the new Miller 375.

317millhand
04-11-2010, 03:24 PM
another good point about plasma cutters vs cutoff wheels is the dust. It doesnt take much cutting with a cutoff wheel to make a mess in your garage (especially a very small on like mine). Can also make a mess of your lungs if you dont wear a mask. I've been looking at the hobar air force models myself, but havent made up my mind yet.

fordsbyjay
06-10-2010, 06:39 AM
another good point about plasma cutters vs cutoff wheels is the dust. It doesnt take much cutting with a cutoff wheel to make a mess in your garage (especially a very small on like mine). Can also make a mess of your lungs if you dont wear a mask. I've been looking at the hobar air force models myself, but havent made up my mind yet.

A plasma cutter makes a pretty big mess with splatter on the floor.

I would just like to point out that there is no ONE good tool that can do everything. I use my SAWZALL, my grinder with a cutoff wheel, my die grinder sometimes, my plasma cutter. It all depends where you are cutting, how much room you, how clean and finished you want the cut to be etc. When I first bought my plasma cutter I it would be all I ever need but I was very mistaken. I find myself grabbing the grinder/cutoff wheel a lot lately. It makes a nice clean cut that can be made straight fairly easy. A plasma cutter is hard to keep straight when not using some type of guide (at least for the occasional user). It also requires cleanup with a grinder after because you can't weld directly after.

BTW, I have a Hypertherm that is rated for 3/8. I would suggest to always buy a unit that is rated more than you think you will ever cut. At their max recommended settings it will make a pretty rough cut.

John Wright
06-10-2010, 06:48 AM
A plasma cutter is hard to keep straight when not using some type of guide (at least for the occasional user).

Here at work we use a guide wherever possible whether we're using Oxy/fuel or plasma to cut something. Every work station has a piece of 1" to1.5" square bar sitting around to use as a guide. It's heavy enough to lay beside your cut line and not move as you drag the torch down the side of it.

fordsbyjay
06-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Here at work we use a guide wherever possible whether we're using Oxy/fuel or plasma to cut something. Every work station has a piece of 1" to1.5" square bar sitting around to use as a guide. It's heavy enough to lay beside your cut line and not move as you drag the torch down the side of it.

I use strips of 3/4" plywood because they are the right height and I just happen to have a bunch laying around. The edge will get charred but you can make quite a few cuts before it is toast. Unless you are working on the bench though you can't always use a big ol' straight edge and sometimes you have to freehand cuts. A good welder can do this all day long but for the average joe it is amazing how shakey a guy is when your arm is extended. :)

DynoDon
06-10-2010, 08:50 PM
I've had two different ones. Around 1990 I bought a Snap On that was 65 amps. It would cut anything we ever out in front of it, tried 3/4" once just to see what it would do - hot knife in butter! But at $3800.00 we decided it wasn't paying for itself so when the Snap On guy said he had a buyer for it, we offed it.
I currently have an ESAB 40 that works pretty well. Got it off Flea Bay for $400.00 . Wish it had a little more power, but works pretty well up to 3/8"

parsonsj
06-11-2010, 03:25 AM
I bought a cheap one a while ago, and it mostly worked. It kind of got lost in my move to Florida, and so recently I picked up Steve Rupp's Miller unit.

That sucker can cut! My experience: step up a level and avoid the dirt cheap tools. YMMV.

jp

mebuildit
07-29-2010, 10:14 AM
Just because you are cutting thinner material now, doesn't mean that you will later. I always suggest that you get the largest one you can afford, since there will be something down the line you will need to cut. You will thank me later. Ha ha... Good luck with your decision.

GregWeld
08-07-2010, 07:23 AM
OP.... Did you ever buy one?

I own the Thermal Dynamics 38 -- great tool to have around when you need it.

BigBlockOlds
08-07-2010, 08:34 PM
A year ago I bought a Hobart Air Force 250 plasma cutter. It's pretty much an entry level plasma but has worked very well for what I've used it for.

67 455 Bird ragtop
08-09-2010, 08:59 AM
Are the combo plasma cutter/TIG/ARC welders worth checking out?? I'd like to learn to TIG weld if it's not that hard to learn to do. I do ok, for a hobbyist, with a MIG. Reason I ask about the combo is I have a chance to pick up a decent barely used one instead of just a simple plasma cutter unit.

wellis77
08-09-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm going to be picking up a Longevity machine in a couple months. It's a Chinese machine, less expensive than the name brands, more than most of the other Chinese units, great service, great reputation, 5 year warranty (I haven't seen that out of any other machine), free shipping, AND, if you follow Longevity on Twitter for a month before ordering, you get 20% off. I may splurge and get the Tig/Stick/Plasma combo machine but we'll see how the funds come in. Pretty stoked though.

-CRUISER-
08-09-2010, 12:48 PM
For the past 2.5 I've years been using a Thermal Dynamic 38 with no complaints other than anything thicker than 3/16" doesn't cut very well.

Have used a Lincoln Hand held (Don't remember which one but it did 1/2" easily) and Hypertherm Hand helds as well in the past and have no complaints.

Miller does use Hypertherm consumables and components which is a good thing! Our CNC Plasma has a Hypertherm head on it and cuts better than any other I've used or seen.

Hypertherm and Miller are the best IMO with Thermal Dynamics and Lincoln not far behind. Something like a Plasma Cutter or Welder I'd never cheap out ! Even though you may not use it that much the life expectancy just isn't there on cheaper models and if ever it need repairs the leaders will always have tech support for you.

Like stated above buy one with a heavier capacity than you require! IMO any model that has a 3/8" Cut capacity will suit the automotive enthusiast just right and should last forever. Even if the thickest you cut is 1/4", a 1/4" capacity machine will hit the duty cycle and wear out faster that one that's rated for 3/8" because it never maxing out components or struggling.

Hope this helps

67 455 Bird ragtop
08-09-2010, 01:53 PM
I'm going to be picking up a Longevity machine in a couple months. It's a Chinese machine, less expensive than the name brands, more than most of the other Chinese units, great service, great reputation, 5 year warranty (I haven't seen that out of any other machine), free shipping, AND, if you follow Longevity on Twitter for a month before ordering, you get 20% off. I may splurge and get the Tig/Stick/Plasma combo machine but we'll see how the funds come in. Pretty stoked though.

Read the specs on the combo units, or any plasma cutter, to make sure it will cut aluminum if you need to. I think you need the AC DC type and not the DC only models in order to cut aluminum.

Restomod
08-09-2010, 04:04 PM
I have a Miller 125c and I love it, runs on 110 and has its own comp so you can use it almost anywhere. Rusty, dirty, painted whatever it has always cut. I did away with the drag shield and its better. With new tips it will do 1/4".

ProTouringCuda
08-18-2010, 11:13 AM
I have the Miller 125C as well. Love it. It's picky at times when new consumables are installed (installed too tight, and it won't get past the pilot arc). So, it takes a little messing with, but I cut the entire floor / front sub out of the Barracuda with it.

80proZ
09-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Read the specs on the combo units, or any plasma cutter, to make sure it will cut aluminum if you need to. I think you need the AC DC type and not the DC only models in order to cut aluminum.
That is absolutely not true.no special plasma is needed to cut aluminum.That made me laugh

slipknawt
11-10-2010, 04:58 AM
I have the Thermal Dynamics its about 3 years old used all the time cost around 1200 but well worth the money.