PDA

View Full Version : 65 A-body steering column and the "chassis service manual"

derekf
06-01-2009, 02:49 AM
I've got the 65 Body Service Manual but not the Chassis manual.

The column seemed rather simple when I took it apart for cleaning and painting, but now that it's going back together I'm obviously missing something -- the steering wheel seems to be off-center to the collar right below it.

The Body Service Manual does not go into the column assembly. Does the chassis manual (if anyone has one), or can anyone provide instructions for assembling the column? Thinking that my problem may stem from the turn signal assembly mounting off-center or the collar not being on the column correctly.

oestek
06-01-2009, 06:32 AM
I'll take a look at our '65 Chassis manual later today and post something for you if you don't get an answer by then.

oestek
06-03-2009, 08:06 AM
OK, the search is on for our '65 chassis manual.. have not forgot you Derek. I think I know where it is and should be able to get back to this post tonight. Sorry for the delay!

derekf
06-03-2009, 10:05 AM
No worries, I got plenty to keep myself occupied.

Thanks, Kevin.

oestek
06-03-2009, 12:56 PM
Does this help? My scanner isn't here in the shop, but the camera is...

derekf
06-04-2009, 02:49 AM
Yes and no; my primary issues seem to be where the cup - thing attaches to the column (this pic has a column shifted cup) and the turn signal switch attachment to the column.

There were two different manufacturers of the turn signal switches back then - BPC and Guide - and they're not interchangeable.

I'm starting to suspect that my problems in reassembly all stem from the wrong switch being in my column, but it's vaguely expensive to buy both just to be sure. If there's no better pic in the book, that's fine - it was a valid place to look and I appreciate you taking the time.

oestek
06-04-2009, 05:46 AM
OK, I'll check the manual again and see if that area is diagrammed. Should be later today. And no problem, Derek.