PDA

View Full Version : Timing for a zz430 supercharged engine

mazspeed
05-31-2009, 05:24 PM
I have a question on timing for my car. I have a rebuilt ZZ430 motor built for blower power. I'm running a supercharger at 10 pounds of boost. I had timing set to about 20 degrees. We reset it to 35 and we got way more power. I am using the fast burn heads. I was told by one of the guys at the shop that built it, that I should not have it more then 20, but with water injection and a knock sensor, I have had no problems with the timing at 35 degrees. Now I am running 100 oct fuel, but if I go back to 91 will there be a problem? Will there be a problem with this timing and those heads?

MonzaRacer
05-31-2009, 09:46 PM
Ok first of all you need some tuning time and watch the knock sensor, I would try in the 12 to 18 degrees initial, then you need to watch the speed at which it advances centrifical.
Now you really should have a boost retard and drop 2 degrees for every pound of boost on the higher end, say from 3000 up. BUt heck at low speed the timing still needs to advance, fastburn heads probably wont like much more than low to mid 30s but it takes time to tune and watch the knock sensor, exhaust gas temps and such.
Just a hint, when the 426 Hemi came out everyone couldnt figure it out as it needed more timing, Don Garlits figured out that it could take loads more than a 392 hemi, so dont let it get retarded too much, it will take time , but if you have a knock sensor, EGT and wideband O2 sensor to watch air/fuel ratio, keep it in the 12 to 1 range under power.
Big trick is keep adding little fuel, little timing till no more gains. Good Luck.

kenhaw
06-14-2009, 05:54 AM
I have a question on timing for my car. I have a rebuilt ZZ430 motor built for blower power. I'm running a supercharger at 10 pounds of boost. I had timing set to about 20 degrees. We reset it to 35 and we got way more power. I am using the fast burn heads. I was told by one of the guys at the shop that built it, that I should not have it more then 20, but with water injection and a knock sensor, I have had no problems with the timing at 35 degrees. Now I am running 100 oct fuel, but if I go back to 91 will there be a problem? Will there be a problem with this timing and those heads?

Hi Mazspeed.

I have almost the same engine and F1 procharged.
It is a 350 crate engine with fastburn heads, hotcam kit, so as far as I know it is almost the same as yours. Do you have forged pistons?

I am just about to install a MSD E curve dizzy and wanted to know about advance tables for my application.
I think I am still running with the factory advised timing. I also run with water injection and a Summit street and strip boost controller that has a retard function when under boost.
I am however not sure how much boost I am running, I would guess between 6 and 8 psi. Havent had the balls to give it all yet, there are too many unknown factors.
I also have a Autometer wide band a/f meter and a msd knock sensor. Did however just see another more interesting knock device which retards each cylinder realtime.

Have had problems lately with fuel supply, dont know if it is vapor lock but something points in that direction. Another thing I have to figure out is a heating problem, I am running a big block Griffin radiator but it just keeps running hot. Maybe my overflow tank is too small, I dont know but have now ordered a PRC radiator with 2 fans from Prodigy, was told it can cool down the space shuttle.

I also saw this new dizzy with a small knob to retard or advance timing without having to loosen the screw every time. The problem is the brand is not one of the major ones so I am going to try my E-curve.

Well anyways hope that you figure your problem out.

mazspeed
06-24-2009, 09:27 PM
Hi Mazspeed.

I have almost the same engine and F1 procharged.
It is a 350 crate engine with fastburn heads, hotcam kit, so as far as I know it is almost the same as yours. Do you have forged pistons?

I am just about to install a MSD E curve dizzy and wanted to know about advance tables for my application.
I think I am still running with the factory advised timing. I also run with water injection and a Summit street and strip boost controller that has a retard function when under boost.
I am however not sure how much boost I am running, I would guess between 6 and 8 psi. Havent had the balls to give it all yet, there are too many unknown factors.
I also have a Autometer wide band a/f meter and a msd knock sensor. Did however just see another more interesting knock device which retards each cylinder realtime.

Have had problems lately with fuel supply, dont know if it is vapor lock but something points in that direction. Another thing I have to figure out is a heating problem, I am running a big block Griffin radiator but it just keeps running hot. Maybe my overflow tank is too small, I dont know but have now ordered a PRC radiator with 2 fans from Prodigy, was told it can cool down the space shuttle.

I also saw this new dizzy with a small knob to retard or advance timing without having to loosen the screw every time. The problem is the brand is not one of the major ones so I am going to try my E-curve.

Well anyways hope that you figure your problem out.

Hi Ken. We are tuning it this weekend. I'm running 10 pounds on the motor now. Yes the motor was rebuilt for blower power with forged pistons and rings and the whole shooting match, but yes I'm running the hot cam and rockers and everything else from the zz430. Right now we are at 35 degrees at WOT with 100 octane fuel. Have not run 91 yet. The distributor has only 12 degree of advance from idle, so we are changing that out. I too have a water injection kit as well. I have noticed that the car starts fine at 23 degrees without issues. These heads were designed to run at 32 but under boost is a better question. I have a J&S Knock sensor system, and a 6AL box with the timing retard as well. I am upgrading this to a 6AL2 digital after everyone who runs our setup say it's the way to go. My J&S does a good job of real time knock sensor. What did you see? How much can it retard the timing?

Hey, message me, I would like to chat with you about our setups.

mazspeed
06-24-2009, 09:32 PM
Ken, this is what I am running for knock.
http://www.jandssafeguard.com/