PDA

View Full Version : How i mounted my summit seats....

Nicks67GTO
03-21-2005, 06:40 PM
Well this should work for any 68-74 Nova maybe later and maybe earlier but i cant guarentee that.

I was out doing some fabrication work trying to figure out how to mount my new summmit seats. To make a long story short i did about 5 hours worth of work saturday afternoon and ended up throwing it away, so i sat down and thought about it for a few hours and it hit me......angle iron. Yeah, yeah, i know its not Foose worthy or anything but here goes

I went and got 3 sticks, 4' long of 1.25x1.25 1/8" angle iron. After measuring, i cut {this is per 1 seat} 2 pieces 12.5" long and put 2 holes at 11" apart on center to mount to the seats. I bolted these up with some grade 8, 5/16" bolts/ nust and It fit very well. I attached the iron with the 90 degree, open, tward the outside of the vehicle.

So i measured off the floor and went with 2-16" pieces for the floor half. I made my first hole 5/8" back and the next hole 13 7/8" off of that. I loosely tightened these down to the floor. On the floor half i have the 90 degree, open, tward the center of the seat.

I set the seat in slid the brackets around a bit a whalla, it fits, all i have to do is slot the bolt holes just a hair to get it all to line up right and weld it up...oh and make a few cosmetic cuts. It really looks nice also, not cheesy like i had figured it would, once its painted it will probably look like somthing that was bought for much more than it cost!
Now the summit seats seem to sit up a bit higher than my stockers but i cant really lower them down due to floor clearance, anyone else notice this with other aftermarket seats?? Just curious. Hope this helps out somone, somwhere, any questions just ask.....

-Nick

MarkM66
03-28-2005, 12:01 PM
Any pics of the seats installed?

USAZR1
03-28-2005, 08:11 PM
I'm awaiting pics,too.

Nicks67GTO
03-31-2005, 05:34 PM
Well if i can steal my girlfriends new digital camera {she said she was going to buy one anyway} for a few minutes ill try to get some shots and figure out how to put them on the internet. I got the brackets all welded up and they fit great!!! This weekend im going to get them cleaned up and painted along with a few other things but it will be a few weeks before my interior is done. Ill try to get some shots but i cant promise anything. I have to work/stay out of town Monday - Thursday, progress slows way down when your not home ya know!!

MarkM66
04-06-2005, 11:08 AM
Steal that camera yet?

Nicks67GTO
04-07-2005, 05:00 PM
She hasnt bought the gol-darn thing yet!!! And im not completely done, sadly enough, between work, and trying to get the 1000 other things that are on my plate done i just havent had time to get after it like i should. I need to get some things welded on my roll bar saturday, paint some stuff, put it all back together and try to get some pictures but i cant give an honest answer when....but i will