PDA

View Full Version : Help! fish eyes I think

Ishmael
05-30-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm painting my dash. I cleaned it with wax remover at least 5 times. I sanded it and used the wax remover again. Then I used the tack cloth. Primered, sanded, tack cloth, primered, sanded tack clothed. Then I painted with a laquer and got a bunch of little what I think are fish eyes - little 3mm holes.
Should I have used the wax remover again before paint?
What went wrong and how do I fix it?
After all that work for such a small area I may just lose my mind.

LateNight72
05-30-2009, 07:08 PM
Sand it down smooth. Clean everything thoroughly, Then reapply 2 very light coats of paint, then paint as normal.

RBARNES496
05-30-2009, 07:23 PM
x2 also ensure you have clean filterd air going into paint gun.

justasquid
05-30-2009, 11:55 PM
In addition, either your primer is not compatible with your paint, or the primer wasnt dry enough to paint over, or the temperature was too cold or too humid to paint. If I had to guess, I would lean towards an incompatability problem.

LateNight72
05-31-2009, 12:20 AM
Too hot/cold isn't going to cause fisheyes. It could be an incompatibility problem, though its not likely (as long as he's stuck with a single brand/paint line).

I would guess it was some type of contaminant, probably from the gun. What type of dryer(s) & filter are you running?

Ishmael
05-31-2009, 04:40 AM
It was good primer that the paint guy said was compatible with what I was using but it was cold and damp out. (It rained the night before and rained after I painted.) The paint only did it in a few places - could I get away with sanding those places and starting over or should I do the whole dash again?
Thanks for the input guys.
Scott

Doug G
05-31-2009, 05:38 AM
Don't press too hard on the tack cloth either....

LateNight72
05-31-2009, 08:06 AM
http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/reference/troubleshooting_guide/

Ishmael
05-31-2009, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the link. If the surface was prepped right and temperature couldn't have caused the problem it must have been contaminants. I need an inline filter. This is my first time with a spray gun (and it shows).

minendrews68
05-31-2009, 06:22 PM
Yeah, but we've all got to learn sometime. I think most of everyone here has been there at one time or another. Just another learning curve. you'll be alright.

LateNight72
05-31-2009, 09:13 PM
Even experts are still learning. That's what makes them great painters.

thetoystore
06-01-2009, 01:15 PM
in my experiances the very last thing i do befor i paint a car is whip it down with wax and grease remover.

Ishmael
06-01-2009, 06:42 PM
The paint guy at the store said it was wax from the tack cloth. Either way I bought an inline filter. I think the will be wiping it down as a last step with a grease remover but where do I get a cloth that will leave no lint?

LateNight72
06-02-2009, 10:19 AM
The paint shop should have lint free towels...

camaro2nv
06-02-2009, 10:48 AM
I dont like using new tack rags for that reason. If they are new and you press hard your screwed. I learned the hard way a long time ago.

LateNight72
06-02-2009, 11:56 AM
I dont like using new tack rags for that reason. If they are new and you press hard your screwed. I learned the hard way a long time ago.
I don't either.

Here's how I remove lint. I don't really recommend it to anyone, because one slight mistake can screw it all up (sweat, oil, etc.)

I wipe my hand down with rubbing alcohol, to remove any grease or sweat, or oils. I will take a blow gun, starting from the top, and run my clean hand over the panels. Following closely behind with the air gun in my other hand. I work from the roof down. After each panel I will reclean my hand with rubbing alcohol. I am also competent to aim the blow gun towards the ground, which has been already wet down, so the lint will "stick" to the water.

Never had a contamination issue using this method and never had lint problems. However, I don't recommend it because its something I have done quite a few times and know how to clean my hand, etc.

manicmechanic
06-03-2009, 06:30 PM

The one thing I have seen is tacking to fast after a final wipe with Wax and Grease remover, of there is still some W/G left on the panel it will grab the wax on the cloth and you won't see it until you spray on it. Looks like a first towel pass on a wet car after it's been washed.

70 Chevelle
06-04-2009, 04:28 AM
Before you put your paint in your gun, plug your gun in (empty) and aim it toward a piece of carboard. If your tank or lines has any moisture you will see tiny little dots. It's an easy way to check before you shoot again. You might also want to try on cardboard before and after you put your inline filter in. You may be able to verify that was the problem but since your shooting on a different day there will be no way to know for sure. Hope this helps

lbdz28
06-04-2009, 11:29 AM
At the local college they use unscented window cleaner to wipe down before painting. They didn't recommend using wax and greese remover. I tried it and it worked good. Finish off with a tack cloth.

Ishmael
06-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys. I'll be putting in the inline filter. I did hit it with the tack cloth right after the wax and grease remover. I think if I have used the w/g remover and haven't exposed it to anything in between, unscented window cleaner would probably be good to clean up anything that got on. I'll have to wait and go light with the tack cloth.