PDA

View Full Version : Can't get distributor to line up

bingham72
05-30-2009, 08:43 AM
Hey All,
I'm finally getting my motor back together, however, the distributor will not line up for some reason.
Specs...350 SBC
MSD Billet dist.

Could the oil pump shaft be falling out of line? are there any tricks to ensure that it stays straight up and down?
Thanks in Advance.

gearheads78
05-30-2009, 08:53 AM
Take a big long screw driver and rotate the oil pump drive so it will line up with the slot in the distributor.

bingham72
05-30-2009, 11:47 AM
Take a big long screw driver and rotate the oil pump drive so it will line up with the slot in the distributor.
Yeah, I've done that about 20 - 30 times. I can't seem to get it to drop down fully no matter the position.
I've done this proceedure a thousand times before, but I just can't figure out why it won't line up.

WS6
05-30-2009, 03:23 PM
Is the oil pump drive shaft seated all the way into the pump? It could be that everything is lined up and engaged correctly but sitting up a little.

Restomod
05-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Drop the diz. in and roll the engine over till it falls in.

bingham72
05-31-2009, 01:53 PM
I got it, finally. I rolled the car off of the ramps it was sitting on. I think that caused the oil pump shaft to slant backwards.

I fired up the car today, new cam shaft, 20 min break-in period. Sounds great, took it around the block and back to the SAME #A$&#% knock, tapping, whatever you want to call it.

So F***N pissed right now....:machine:

megaladon6
05-31-2009, 03:38 PM
what kind of tap and what did you do to fix it?

bingham72
05-31-2009, 04:57 PM
what kind of tap and what did you do to fix it?

Collapsed Lifter tap. I just spent 6 months replacing the Camshaft, lifters et all...

It sounds like metal marbles being slammed together. It was the same ticking, tapping sound I had before. I just went through and readjusted all the rockers again. Took it up the road and same thing. Either that or I just spent 6 months fixing the cam only to find that there is a bad bearing or something.

Complete PITA. I guess I'll admit my failure and take it to a real mechanic.

bingham72
05-31-2009, 05:28 PM
see here...
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35554
and here...

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45014

XLexusTech
05-31-2009, 05:33 PM
Hi sorry this is happening to you. Can I ask if you are using a flat tappet cam? and if so did you add Zinc to the oil?

bingham72
05-31-2009, 05:49 PM
Hi sorry this is happening to you. Can I ask if you are using a flat tappet cam? and if so did you add Zinc to the oil?

Yes, flat tappett hydrollic cam, pre soaked the lifters, lubed the heck out of the lobes, added Comp Cams break in additive. Pre primed the engine with a drill.
It ticks or taps only under accelleration or decelleration.

So either the previous collapsed lifter made the noise, and this new cam just died on breakin or the previous wasn't making the noise and there is something else going on.

I tried to video record the sound, but it didn't come out right.

JEFFTATE
05-31-2009, 05:58 PM
Are the lifter bores worn out ???
What is the oil pressure ??
Have you checked it with a reliable mechanical gauge ??
Are you sure it's not something that went down one of the cylinders and is embedded in the top of one of the pistons ???

bingham72
05-31-2009, 06:07 PM
Are the lifter bores worn out ??? dont think so
What is the oil pressure ?? 35 to 70+ psi just installed a new pump with a new pan.
Have you checked it with a reliable mechanical gauge ?? no, I haven't. I'm wondering if a oil gallery is clogged or something.

Are you sure it's not something that went down one of the cylinders and is embedded in the top of one of the pistons ?? No, I am not sure. I haven't pulled the heads since the rebuild a while back.

Do you know a good engine guru around Marietta?