PDA

View Full Version : carbon fibre repair/paint help needed

speedshftr
05-29-2009, 02:19 PM
for those that have painted there carbon fiber stuff for there car.if the piece to be installed had a chip or a crack,would you feel comfortable repairing it [bondo] or?then painting it.wont the crack always come thrue?i need some input from you guys.im readying the car for paint and dont know what do about some things.im thinking i may have to go back to the steel and modify it for my look that i want.
can you guys give me some input
thank you
i also posted this on lat.g
im just looking for some help and i know some guys dont read both boards

LateNight72
05-29-2009, 03:01 PM
Is the crack all the way through? Meaning is it confined to one layer of composite, or is it through all layers?

If it is through all layers, you will need to reinforce it from the underside. Two layers of a woven fiberglass & epoxy resin. If it is not all the way through the material, you'll still need to reinforce it, IMHO, however I would only do a single layer of fiberglass. When you make the reinforcement pieces, make sure that there is 2" in all directions of "extra" material. So if the crack is 1" long, the piece will need to be 4" x 5".

However, if the crack is in an area that sees lots of stress, I would add up to 6 layers of fiberglass (use discretion), rolling between each layer in order to rid any possible trapped air.

Once reinforced from the underside, use a grinder to make a small groove that follows the crack. Apply a short strand filler. Block it out, then finish as regular.

Should be good to go after that. :)

highschool70ss
05-30-2009, 09:50 AM
Is it any different painting carbon fiber than anything else.

camaro2nv
05-30-2009, 10:49 AM
I have had a few problems. I had one hood I had to clear let dry and repeat about three times. The hood would just fish eye. I use PPG wac and grease so I dont think it had to do with the wipe down. I think it just depend on who makes the part and what mould release they use.