PDA

View Full Version : Gen IV vinatge air/cooling fan question

gmjohnson69
05-26-2009, 06:32 PM
I am installing a gen IV in a 69 camaro. I am trying to find a wire that is grounded on the vintage air unit only when the a/c is on. I want to tag on to this wire to make the ground for my cooling fan relay to turn the fans on when the a/c is on. I have a temp. switch that grounds my fan relays @195 degrees normally. thanks

Rhino
05-26-2009, 06:44 PM
I have no experience with the Gen IV units, but I have a feeling that may be difficult to find. To solve your needs you could use a relay inline with the compressor clutch. The other poles of the relay would ground your cooling fans. This way your fans kick on any time the compressor is running.
If you wanted them on the entire time you're using the A/C, rather than when the clutch is running, I'm sure you could do something similar with another switched +12 source from the unit.

ProdigyCustoms
05-26-2009, 08:41 PM
You just need a trinary switch instead of a binary switch and it will turn you fans (s) on soon as the compressor is turned on.

Rhino
05-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Frank,
Can you explain that a little more? I can understand it working on the positive side, but will it work on the ground side, as he's wanting to do?