PDA

View Full Version : Type of hood

mtuck
03-21-2005, 10:28 AM
I have another question i would like get everyones opinion on. I am sending the car out this week for paint and i am thinking of changing the hood. Right now i have fiberglass L-88 hood for the car. It is a four post clip on hood. I am thinking of getting a steel cowl hood. What do you think?

Happyfunballs
03-21-2005, 11:21 AM
I like the one you have.(except for the clips)

68BNUT
03-21-2005, 11:55 AM
hey be different that hood will look sharp painted up, any color combos in mind for it??

Chevyman73
03-21-2005, 12:47 PM
It's different and after all isn't that what we all want. Something that isn't cookie cutter? Glass over the pin holes, paint it up, and be unique. I like it!

Todds69
03-21-2005, 12:50 PM
I love the old L-88 hoods...Keep it and make it work, different is good.

mtuck
03-21-2005, 01:09 PM
If i keep it then how do i go about making it work like a normal hood? I see i can buy springs for fiberglass hood. Do i replace these springs with the factory springs, use light weight gas shocks, or what? Do i just just the factor latch on the front? And one more thing, what should i do with the under hood area? It does not look that nice. Any suggestions?

I appreciate all the information. I definitely want to be different.

Travis B
03-21-2005, 02:10 PM
The under side of the hood will take some work! A little filler a little primer it will smooth out! you could always use a prop rod instead of the low tension springs! Just a thought

jeffandre
03-21-2005, 05:51 PM
The L88 hood is one of the best desings for the stripes, I had one for years (5+ tall), but it didn't last so now I have a Harwood cowl indusction. I have considered painting one of each and hanging the unused one from the garage ceiling, then switching them whenever I want...

Chevyman73
03-21-2005, 06:09 PM
I am using some trunk springs from a early 90's FWD Cadillac on my 73 Camaro. I have a Harwood Ultra Light hood and thought I would just use them for mock up, but they work so good that I'm keeping them. They are low tension, have a stockish look, and are the perfect length. Best of all they were free! If you want a gas strut type of lift I have toyed with the trunk struts from a late 90's BMW 3 series. They are the correct length and aren't overly stiff. As for the underside you could use a factory style heat mat to hide the underside if its too bad. Junkyards are our friend! :icon996:

ProdigyCustoms
03-22-2005, 01:07 AM
Use the L88 hood and Motion stripe it.

ViperBlue68
03-22-2005, 01:35 AM
I like the doing both hoods idea if money permits ofcourse...plus you would have better luck matching the paint exactly if it was all done at the same time...weigh your options and costs....my .02 cents