PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass molds

protouringrscamaro
05-25-2009, 10:25 PM
I am going to be making some trunk close out panels for my trunk and I am unsure of what material I should use. If it wasen't for the curves I am going to have to replicate I would use wood and uppolster. I have been searching around quite a bit and have seen numerous options for making a mold. What material have some of you guys used? wood, foam, cardboard, etc. Can I apply anything to cardboard so I can use a release agent?

Thanks

ProdigyCustoms
05-26-2009, 03:53 AM
The right way........Start with wood and bondo. Make a splash mold and make them in fiberglass.

What also works....Or do what the stereo guys do and resign the wood / bondo mixture and wrap it.

Or worse...... Don't even resign the wood and bondo, just wrap it and call it good!

ProTouring442
05-26-2009, 03:58 AM
I am going to be making some trunk close out panels for my trunk and I am unsure of what material I should use. If it wasen't for the curves I am going to have to replicate I would use wood and uppolster. I have been searching around quite a bit and have seen numerous options for making a mold. What material have some of you guys used? wood, foam, cardboard, etc. Can I apply anything to cardboard so I can use a release agent?

Thanks

I am using the Blue insulation foam you can buy at Lowe's to make my lower door panels, and plan on using the same for any shaped parts in the trunk. You can heat the thinner foam and bend it quite easily, and the thicker stuff can be carved and sanded to shape.

To cover these pieces, I am using fiberglass with Epoxy Resin. You mist use the Epoxy Resin as the normal Polyester Resin will dissolve the foam. I get my supplies from a Boat Supply store, though I am sure you can also order the stuff online. The brand is West Systems ( http://www.westsystem.us/ss/ ).

Interestingly, I have also found that the Epoxy Resin is much easier to work with!

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

jackfrost
05-28-2009, 09:02 AM
it sorta depends on what the shape is, for what I'd use on it. if you're going to cover it with upholstery, don't bother with a mold. just build a plug (out of wood, foam, clay, and/or bondo) and either stretch fleece over it and resin it, or just apply the glass to the plug. then pull out the plug and wrap the glass piece.