PDA

View Full Version : Surge valve

big_G
05-19-2009, 07:20 PM
I know some guys like a real loud surge valve, but the constant whoosh on long cruises is too much. Any of you have a way to quiet it other than hanging a filter on the end?

Fast01
05-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Plumb it back into the intake.

big_G
05-20-2009, 07:08 AM
Plumb it back into the intake.
Yea, I already thought about that. Any other ideas, like some kind of muffler?

Fast01
05-20-2009, 10:22 AM
I suppose you could rig up a baffle similar to what a lot of late model cars use on the intake tract. I don't know how familiar you are with 4th gen F-bodies, but that's a shining example of what I'm thinking about. They've got a large, open plenum type box right behind the air filter before the MAF and the throttle body that's supposed to limit intake noise.

big_G
05-20-2009, 10:34 AM
I suppose you could rig up a baffle similar to what a lot of late model cars use on the intake tract. I don't know how familiar you are with 4th gen F-bodies, but that's a shining example of what I'm thinking about. They've got a large, open plenum type box right behind the air filter before the MAF and the throttle body that's supposed to limit intake noise.
I need to do something. I either need a larger surge valve or run a second one. I'm getting flutter when I lift throttle. I assume this is surge. I can only imagine what 2 surge valves would sound like. :machine:

Fast01
05-20-2009, 08:43 PM
I imagine whatever you do, you want to keep it neat. If you've got some pics of your engine bay, post 'em up or PM them to me and maybe I can come up with something. After all two heads are better than one!

WS6
05-21-2009, 04:35 PM
You're calling your blow off valve the surge valve correct? I've never thought about this and am planning a turbo build eventually myself. I was planning to run the waste gate back into the exhaust but with an electric cutout in there possibly:headbang: Never even occurred to me that the BOV could get annoying as well.

big_G
05-21-2009, 06:12 PM
You're calling your blow off valve the surge valve correct? I've never thought about this and am planning a turbo build eventually myself. I was planning to run the waste gate back into the exhaust but with an electric cutout in there possibly:headbang: Never even occurred to me that the BOV could get annoying as well.
It's a surge valve, used in s/c applications. Open under closed/low throttle periods to prevent compressor surge, also improves efficiency.

HILROD
05-21-2009, 07:09 PM
The flutter is normal. If you are worried call the maker of your system and ask if you need a bigger bypass valve. Also you shouldn't add any kind off restriction / filter after the valve. I've seen a few people running a small filter, but I was told not too. Last a bigger valve or two valves will bee much louder.

WS6
05-22-2009, 04:59 PM
It's a surge valve, used in s/c applications. Open under closed/low throttle periods to prevent compressor surge, also improves efficiency.

Ah so just the opposite. I see. Thanks.