PDA

View Full Version : SPC upper control arms

JRouche
05-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Ok, I have a mustang II front, Im installing some shockwave air ride springs. So I have rebuilt the lower CAs and they are solid, ready to go.

Now my question is Im looking at some adjustable upper control arms from SPC http://www.spcperformance.com/PROD_DIR/SPCPerf_PROD_SEARCH_DYN.cfm?cmd=Cam&cmd2=94800&cmd3=

What I want to do is change the way the UCA shaft attaches to the frame. Its a horizontal sliding mount now, stock. I want to put a vertical shaft mount that solidly captures the shaft and adjust my camber with the adjustable bars of the SPC UCAs. And it will change the arm length when Im looking for a good camber setting, is that gonna be a major issue. Im thinking of using a UCA length of 7-9" and my stock arms are 8.250"

Ill make the shaft mounts with a lil vertical adjustment to tune RC height. Raise it a lil hopefully.

So..... What do you think???? Waste of time and money?? Or a good idea and worth doing? Any opinions, Ill take them all happily.. I know theres alot of guys here that have some good info. Im leaching at this point :yum: JR

Marcus SC&C
05-19-2009, 11:53 AM
SPC has several different MII arms. We`ve done the conversion you want to do. There are a couple ways to go about it. You can`t really get any geometry gain from moving the inner pickups in this case but you can make improvements on the outboard side with screw in Chrysler ball joints. Give me a call and I`d be happy to go over it with you. Mark SC&C

Bryce
05-19-2009, 12:54 PM
i think you have seen my posts before and may remember what my UCAs look like. but i built my own UCAs at a fraction of the cost of the SPC and others ($170 are average prices for MII UCAs). i went with a swedged steel tube at the length i wanted and chromoly rodends with clevises on the other side welded to the ball joint holder tabs. this allowed me run any ball joint i wanted. i went with the low friction ones. they also offer an aluminum style. for extra weight savings. i can also adjust the caster and camber indepently. and i can use shims on my mount. the aluminum cross shaft mount i bought was $25 each from total control products. and the rodends are 25 from afco. teh swedged tube is around $8 and clevises for $10.

i have seen what you can do. you can easily build your own UCAs. good luck.

ask me if you need better pics or part numbers

JRouche
05-20-2009, 08:42 AM
SPC has several different MII arms. We`ve done the conversion you want to do. There are a couple ways to go about it. You can`t really get any geometry gain from moving the inner pickups in this case but you can make improvements on the outboard side with screw in Chrysler ball joints. Give me a call and I`d be happy to go over it with you. Mark SC&C

Hey Mark. Yeah, I was gonna call you, yer name seems to pop up the most when I searched for SPC UCAs :) The only reason I was going to change the shaft mounting position was to keep it from changing position like it can do with the stock setup. But yer saying by moving the shaft vertically I wont be changing my roll center????? Wheres that darn CE book LOL Ill give you a call Mark. JR

JRouche
05-20-2009, 08:48 AM
i think you have seen my posts before and may remember what my UCAs look like. but i built my own UCAs at a fraction of the cost of the SPC and others ($170 are average prices for MII UCAs). i went with a swedged steel tube at the length i wanted and chromoly rodends with clevises on the other side welded to the ball joint holder tabs. this allowed me run any ball joint i wanted. i went with the low friction ones. they also offer an aluminum style. for extra weight savings. i can also adjust the caster and camber indepently. and i can use shims on my mount. the aluminum cross shaft mount i bought was $25 each from total control products. and the rodends are 25 from afco. teh swedged tube is around $8 and clevises for $10.

i have seen what you can do. you can easily build your own UCAs. good luck.

ask me if you need better pics or part numbers

Yeah, I do remember your stuff. NICE!! The only reason Im going with the SPC UCAs is because they have some curved arms VS straight. The straight form a Vee that is too narrow for my car, wont clear the upper shock/spring mount. If I had a coilover top mount no problem. But its a stock spring pocket and is kinda wide. Otherwise I would just go to southwest speed and buy what I need, lot cheaper. Might still do that and just get the bent arms from SPC. Thanks for the reply... JR

Bryce
05-20-2009, 08:55 AM
that makes sence, good luck. i just always think its cooler to build rather than buy it. it would be heavy but you could buy some DOM and bend it to fit then weld in some threaded inserts.

JRouche
05-20-2009, 09:38 AM
that makes sence, good luck. i just always think its cooler to build rather than buy it. it would be heavy but you could buy some DOM and bend it to fit then weld in some threaded inserts.

Dont get me started!!! LOL That would really be the best thing to do.. Hmmmmm.... We will see where this goes. Ill post some pics of the finished "something" when done. Thanks, JR

Bryce
05-20-2009, 09:53 AM
ya, keep me posted!