PDA

View Full Version : Camaro/Mustang front clip replacement

Travis77
03-20-2005, 04:21 AM
Took my car to a very reputable body man yesterday and got some bad new. He seems to think replacing just the front subframes would be more difficult and costly that just finding a new front clip for it. His work is probably near the best in the Houston area, but with that comes a price. My questions is, has anyone here ever replaced a front clip on there camaro or mustang? The rails are not rusty, but for some odd reason someone added several layers of metal along the side and along the contour of the bottom then coated it with bondo. I suppose it was rusted at some time.I may just have to suck it up and pay an expert. Any ideas or links would be great. Thanks

sunkistcamaro
03-20-2005, 04:37 AM
Travis,
Can you ask him to strip the bondo off and check the damage?
I would make my decision acording to the damage if any.
Is this done to both sides? I used to work in a restoation shop and saw some really stupid things..

Travis77
03-20-2005, 01:21 PM
Here are a couple of pictures( hope they go thru). Like I said, I thought I could just clean them up and go from there. As you can see I began cutting with a torch but decided I better get some opinions. The only rusted area is the cowl, one small spot were the rack bolts in, and the lower cowl panel(if that's what it's called) on drivers side.

Travis77
03-20-2005, 01:26 PM
Okay, here are links to the pics:

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2572

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2571

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2570

sunkistcamaro
03-20-2005, 01:30 PM
Travis,
Im trying to access your links but is says I dont have sufficient privileges?
If you want, you can send them to my home address and I’ll check them out when I get home.
Or can they be PM'd to me?

Restomod
03-20-2005, 01:52 PM
Well are you talking about a Mustang or a Camaro??? They are VERY different,a Mustang does not have a "subframe" it is a true unibody car it is all welded together. A Camaro's sub unbolts from the main body shell and is easily replaced a Mustang is not so easy.

MuscleRodz
03-20-2005, 08:06 PM
Unless he has a 3rd gen he is working on. What year Camaro is it?

Mike

sunkistcamaro
03-21-2005, 08:39 PM
These are a few of Travis's pictures.
What do you guys think?
In the second pic, is that a crack going straight down?

MuscleRodz
03-21-2005, 09:35 PM
There looks to be some rot in the first pic. The second pic looks scary. It appears to have been previously clipped and never finished. Looks like a plasma cut and tack brazed back together. I still don't know what year or car he is working on.

Mike

Travis77
03-22-2005, 03:38 AM
Thanks for copying the pictures for me. The crack you see going down is what I did with the cutting torch. I was planning on cutting what I could out, then weld new meatal in. I started checking it all out and got scared. I'm a novice at doing body work, but have some welding experience. What do you think of the pictures? Should I suck it up and pay someone $2200 to replace the clip (just labor). Or, should I try replacing the clip myself. Lastly, should I just clean up what I can and strengthen what I can and be done with it. By the way, selling my mustang and buying a camaro isn't an option. Ha Ha! Seriously guys I'm having trouble deciding. I have had my GW coil over conversion sitting in my garage for about 5 months or so. Just finished with the minitub. I need to get the bottom of the car completed so I can work my way up. Other than getting in the GW, the next big challenge is power r&p. Then of course comes motor,trans,harnesses,fuel cell,paint int., so on. Doesn't look like I'm ever going to finish.

MuscleRodz
03-22-2005, 07:32 PM
Well a 67 Mustang is nothing like a Camaro, period. $2200 is steep to clip the car. I would think about half that would be about right. I can get new vehicles clipped around $1200. Unless you know what you are doing with a torch/welder and can absolutley make it square and at least as strong as the original, I would leave it to the pro's.

Mike

sunkistcamaro
03-23-2005, 09:07 AM
I got to agree, let the pro's do the work.
Do you have anyone else to shop around to?

paul67
03-23-2005, 12:49 PM
where are you based?
paul67

Travis77
03-23-2005, 05:35 PM
In the Houston area. I realize I'm dealing with a Mustang and not Camaro. The shop I plan on using is Capel's in Dickingson. I have seen some of his work, and let me tell you, it is truly awesome. I just wonder how long it is going to take me to finish the car($$$$$). Today I located a 68 front clip for $500, so I hope I'm in business. I called several reputable Mustang shops in Houston and for a front clip replacement I'm am going to be looking at $2200 to $2800. I spent all morning cutting away on the bad rail, but the more time I spent on it, the more I realize what needs to happen. One last thing, still trying to figure out what to do with the rear axle. The car has been tubbed but it still has stock width rear end. Does anyone object to buying a narrowed rear end. I get so jealeous everytime I log on and see another camaro with meats. I'm asking because there are alot of ya'll who know what would look the best. I have never seen a 67 fastback with around 18x11 or 12 with 315 to 335's. I don't know what would look better, 5-6 inch backspace or 7-8. Thanks for the replies guys, keep them coming.
I am going to make the Mustang fans proud..............One day that is

JamesJ
03-24-2005, 10:17 AM
Why not try to call some non mustang shop, what you are wanting to do does not require a car specific builder.

paul67
03-24-2005, 01:59 PM
Try these i know they are camaro people but they seems to know there stuff when i went there by the way that was some years ago , when i holidayed over there from England.
Camaro Concepts
2236 blalock
Houston TX 77060
(713) 365-9000
also while i was in huston if you went to a breakers they shouted down the phone what you wanted to other breakers who would come back to them if they had the parts, hope this might help
paul67

paul67
03-24-2005, 02:01 PM
Just checked still there they have a web site under there name

paul67

Restomod
03-24-2005, 05:20 PM
I am in the middle of replacing some of the front rails on my 68...it is a pain in the ass!!! Yours looks to have been worked over before so you may be better off to replace the whole box and that is a job for a pro with a jig. BTW I am going with 18x9s w/285-30-18 Dunlop 9090s and it looks full,cant wait to see the 315s on yours!!!

Travis77
03-24-2005, 06:51 PM
Thanks guys. I actually called camaro concepts to see if by chance they would have any leads to a clip. I never thought to ask though. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that there's allot of playa hattn' when it comes to mustangs/cameros. I've talked to several chevrolet specific shops. Unfortunately I do not like being disrespected, especially the kind of money I am beginning to shell out. Actually I love camaros and novas. The 67 fastback has been the first on my list though for a long time. My dream is to have all of them in the same year some day. And if I win the lotta, you can include the vette. I pretty much have made up my mind on my car, except wheels, interior, and paint. I realize there are mostly Chevy guys here, but thanks for all the replies.